Respected Contributor

What a great idea, Mustang! Gotta try it.

Just to let you know, I have seen bags of frozen dumplings (small and round and regular, half-moon size) at Costco. I just used up my last batch recently. I save them for times when I have cooked pork in my crock pot and there is all that lovely, rich broth left. I thin it out a bit with some Imagine low sodium chicken stock (my favorite brand) and add dried chives and frozen vegetables. A little drizzle of brown sesame oil at the end finishes it off. It is delicious.

This may not be to everyone's taste, but thinly sliced/julienned turnips or rutabagas add a nice touch as well. Just add at the beginning (when you put the dumplings into the broth) so they can get tender. I had some pork based broth with turnips in it at a Korean restaurant once. That is where I got the idea.

If you have the broth left over from cooking a roast, you can always put it in an ice tray and freeze it. Once frozen, put the "broth cubes" in a zip-lock freezer bag for later.

Honored Contributor

Yum Writer, you're making me so hungry!

Respected Contributor
On 3/12/2015 RespectLife said:
On 3/12/2015 ChiliPepper said:

Mornin' Ladies & Gents, I checked last night & my new bottle of sesame oil does NOT say anything about refrigerating it after opening. I did anyways just to be on the safe side.

Morning ChiliPepper and ladies!

Too funny...I did the same thing...went home and checked my oil. Then put my glasses on and then went and got the magnifying glass! LOL Blind as a bat! It didn't say anything about refrigeration either! I actually have never refrigerated any of my oils.

We are on the same wave though...I only have about 2 drops left since I have been on this soup kick...I put it in the frig anyhoo!!!

Mustang and Adore...hope you both got some well deserved rest! Prayed for you both (and DHs as well)

Waving to all our QVC pals,

Mustang I hope DH has recovered and sending hugs for all you do for us Mustang. Thank you!!!

We slept and DH feels so much better. His cold is not bad at all today and he even showered, got dressed, whistled, winked at me and said "this bad boy is making you breakfast". Now I await to be pleasantly surprised.

About the refrigeration of the pure sesame oils my recommendation is from what I have read on the net I believe it is definitely most advisable to put in fridge. They will last longer and not loose potency, or become rancid quickly.

Waving to everyone, and have a great day, and many thanks for all the get well wishes and prayers too.

Valued Contributor

mustang66lady,

I've been reading more, and some people do not store their sesame oil in the refrigerator. I think it might depend on how long it usually takes you to use it up. If you cook with it often it will probably do fine in your cupboard for quite awhile. But since it doesn't do it any harm, I guess storing it in the fridge might keep it a little longer. {#emotions_dlg.blink}

From your description, it sounds like you're using the toasted sesame oil. I think I'm going to look for that one. That's the one that everyone says has the superior taste. If it burns too easily, I will saute the the onions and garlic in another oil, (canola or the light sesame) and then add the toasted sesame oil near the end, to impart the flavor.

Respected Contributor
On 3/12/2015 CaliKat said:

mustang66lady,

I've been reading more, and some people do not store their sesame oil in the refrigerator. I think it might depend on how long it usually takes you to use it up. If you cook with it often it will probably do fine in your cupboard for quite awhile. But since it doesn't do it any harm, I guess storing it in the fridge might keep it a little longer. {#emotions_dlg.blink}

From your description, it sounds like you're using the toasted sesame oil. I think I'm going to look for that one. That's the one that everyone says has the superior taste. If it burns too easily, I will saute the the onions and garlic in another oil, (canola or the light sesame) and then add the toasted sesame oil near the end, to impart the flavor.

I use peanut oil for stir frying which has a very high heat tolerance and does not burn quickly.

I use Japanese pure sesame oil, and I do not stir fry with it.

It is used strictly at the end of my stir fry as a flavoring agent into the food.

I also add it to my cooked soups as a flavoring agent.

Super Contributor

I just got a bag of frozen potstickers from CostCo that worked in this recipe. I also like Trader Joe's. As good or better than the ones here at the Q and lots less expensive.

More ideas I've tried:

(1) Using any kind of greens, just run a knife through them and toss 'em in the pan. Stems first if there are any. Anything from bok choy to spinach to lettuce will work--just different cooking times. The tender greens need to be added later, even after the potstickers get hot.

(2) Adding a few frozen shrimp and some frozen or fresh snow peas is a nice combo and makes this a whole meal.

(3) Adding some bone broth along with the chicken stock. Pacifica has a nice one sold in shelf-stable little boxes of about 12 oz. Lots of flavor.

(4) Doing the initial sautéing in olive or avocado or coconut oil and just add a drizzle of the nice dark sesame oil at the end after cooking--sesame oil is kinda expensive.

Honored Contributor

Oh yes, Kay! Shrimps! What a great idea! My next potsticker soup will include Shrimps!!

Esteemed Contributor

Waving hello to everyone. I have been cleaning house all day and am exhausted!

RespectLife,

We don't have a Wegman's here but there are some bigger stores not far from where I live; may check in one of them to see if I am missing something. I am now wondering what "lite" sesame oil looks like and smells like. We all are really getting an education on this, aren't we?!

ChiliPepper,

I don't have much sesame oil left in my bottle and since I don't remember how old it is and it has been on the shelf, I am going to toss it. I didn't get to the store today so the soup will have to wait, probably until Saturday. That will at least give me time to investigate the mystery of the sesame oil and this time I am going to refrigerate it after it is opened!

Writer with Flair,

Thank you so much for taking time to comment on this thread! I keep trying to get DH to try Costco but to his defense, it is a little hike from where we live and would be passing by 2 SAM's in order to go there. If I ever do get him to go, the potstickers are on my list of things I want to try. Do they come in different flavors and if so, what is your favorite? And thank you for your ideas to create different "soups" from this basic recipe. I knew the ladies here would come up with some great ideas and they never fail to do so! So nice to meet you.

Hello Adore,

I'm so happy you and DH were able to get some much needed rest last night and that he felt well enough to get dressed-that is always a good sign. Hope he didn't over do things today, though. So tell us, what did he make you for breakfast?! My DH wouldn't have a clue how to make breakfast! He never used to cook other than grill and he wasn't very good at that, poor baby! I bought him a smoker and he fell in love with that and is quite good, inventing rubs and making different dishes in there. I asked him to take me to Penzey's in St. Louis and that really sent him off. The smell is incredible and the spices all smell so fresh. He can't wait to go and even will ask me from time to time, "Don't we need anything from Penzey's?" {#emotions_dlg.w00t} Cracks me up!

Hello CaliKat

I think you are correct about my sesame oil being toasted even though it doesn't specifically say it. I think it has a toasted fragrance to it. I am going to refrigerate my new bottle anyway just to be safe. I guess I was thinking "oil" and didn't even consider the fact I always store my sesame seeds in the freezer to keep them from becoming rancid. I didn't have a problem with my oil burning but I did have my "mise en place" ready so that may have played a part in avoiding that happening. Adoreqvc had a good idea in using peanut oil to avoid that problem, too.

Kay SD-hello!

We "spoke" a few times years ago when I posted more recipes-do you remember? What great ideas you have! We love shrimp here and I am agreeing with RespectLife, my soup may contain shrimp if I can find some that look good at my grocer. If not, will pick some up the next time I am at SAM's to have when I make it again! Thanks for posting your ideas!

Respected Contributor

My Dear Mustang,

Many thanks for including us in your kind reply.

We slept so good and really rested. We are all feeling so much better today.

Feels with DH being under the weather we were operating on empty so it was nice to really get some sound restful sleep.

Thank you for your concern and Phillip took it much easier today and said he missed being in the kitchen creating so he made up for lost time.

Hubby made me a Greek feta spinach omelette which they named in the States as A Greek florentine omelette.

It was delicious!

He also reheated some Greek sausages, and made my favorite toasted buttered rye bread.

Coffee was Starbucks breakfast blend and he buys the whole bean and grinds it in the electric coffee maker with has a built in grinder.

He ate a bit lighter so he had 2 poached eggs with plain toast, and he dipped them. He also had Twinings Earl Gray English Tea with lemon.

Lunch was Greek Orzo soup with baby shrimps and peas made with real chicken broth, and it was delicious.

Dinner was leftovers of Spinach Pie which I had prepared, placed in the freezer and took out last night to defrost in the refrigerator, and I also had a Greek Villagers Salad which we shared.

Phillip had a ham and cheese sandwich with the salad and a glass of Gingerale.

He is resting now on his recliner and the dogs are watching a soccer match with him.

Tonight we will retire about 10 pm and hopefully have another great night of sound rest.

Well that is what we were up to today my friend, and we love Pendry's too, and when in Texas also go there and buy in person. Wonderful aroma when you open the door and head on in and the spices are intoxicating. Even their mail order is something we all enjoy.

It is great that men can also enjoy and master being great chefs, cooks, and masters of the smoker and the BBQ grills, as well as enjoy being around food and creating.

We live in a time where it is a wonderful experience to create great food, enjoy it, enjoy serving it and playing host to guests, and of course being able and free to travel when we wish a chance of pace.

Have a lovely evening dear Mustang and hubby, and we shall chat again soon.

Super Contributor
On 3/12/2015 adoreqvc said:

My Dear Mustang,

Many thanks for including us in your kind reply.

We slept so good and really rested. We are all feeling so much better today.

Feels with DH being under the weather we were operating on empty so it was nice to really get some sound restful sleep.

Thank you for your concern and Phillip took it much easier today and said he missed being in the kitchen creating so he made up for lost time.

Hubby made me a Greek feta spinach omelette which they named in the States as A Greek florentine omelette.

It was delicious!

He also reheated some Greek sausages, and made my favorite toasted buttered rye bread.

Coffee was Starbucks breakfast blend and he buys the whole bean and grinds it in the electric coffee maker with has a built in grinder.

He ate a bit lighter so he had 2 poached eggs with plain toast, and he dipped them. He also had Twinings Earl Gray English Tea with lemon.

Lunch was Greek Orzo soup with baby shrimps and peas made with real chicken broth, and it was delicious.

Dinner was leftovers of Spinach Pie which I had prepared, placed in the freezer and took out last night to defrost in the refrigerator, and I also had a Greek Villagers Salad which we shared.

Phillip had a ham and cheese sandwich with the salad and a glass of Gingerale.

He is resting now on his recliner and the dogs are watching a soccer match with him.

Tonight we will retire about 10 pm and hopefully have another great night of sound rest.

Well that is what we were up to today my friend, and we love Pendry's too, and when in Texas also go there and buy in person. Wonderful aroma when you open the door and head on in and the spices are intoxicating. Even their mail order is something we all enjoy.

It is great that men can also enjoy and master being great chefs, cooks, and masters of the smoker and the BBQ grills, as well as enjoy being around food and creating.

We live in a time where it is a wonderful experience to create great food, enjoy it, enjoy serving it and playing host to guests, and of course being able and free to travel when we wish a chance of pace.

Have a lovely evening dear Mustang and hubby, and we shall chat again soon.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ