Honored Contributor

I'll have to check my sesame oil too. Mine is in the cupboard. It's a new bottle so maybe it's not open yet & I'm safe.

Count me as another one who never knew it had to be refrigerated (& I am one who usually reads the label & checks those things LOL!!!).

Respected Contributor
On 3/11/2015 ChiliPepper said:

I'll have to check my sesame oil too. Mine is in the cupboard. It's a new bottle so maybe it's not open yet & I'm safe.

Count me as another one who never knew it had to be refrigerated (& I am one who usually reads the label & checks those things LOL!!!).

My brand is a Chinese brand of dark sesame oil and on the front it does say refrigerate after opening....perhaps some say it and some do not but best to refrigerate it so it will not go rancid and also stay fresh.

I hate to leave things which really need refrigeration in the pantry after opening them.

I am too fearful of problems and risk taking with ones health and well being, is something I rather not do.

Respected Contributor

How to tell if sesame oil is bad:

If opened I refrigerate it......Unopened I leave in the pantry in a darker spot.

Sesame oil loses its quality over time, so in most cases you will decide to discard it because of its quality, not because it’s rancid or bad. To learn if it’s still edible and usable (you don’t want to use an old sesame oil because it will most likely ruin the dish), just smell it and taste it. Small changes in color, taste and smell are natural, but if the change seems pretty significant – discard the product. One more thing to remember – when storing sesame oil in the fridge it might solidify. It’s perfectly normal and it will return to its normal consistency in room temperature.

Summary
As you should know by now, sesame oil does go bad and has a pretty short shelf life (compared to other vegetable oils) after opening the bottle. If you’ll store it properly, you’ll need to discard it because of its quality (which deteriorates over time), not because it has gone rancid or spoiled.

Honored Contributor

I'll have to check mine after I get home from work. Like I said, if I am not sure I always check the label to see what is recommended.

See, something else we all learned here! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Esteemed Contributor
On 3/11/2015 adoreqvc said:
On 3/11/2015 mustang66lady said:

Good morning to you, adoreqvc.

Now don't leave me out of the cookie making, just may want me to wash the dishes while you and RespectLife decorate those cookies! Then we can all relax with some tea or coffee or milk and taste test them!

Thank you for well wishes for DH. He went to bed at 8 last night and slept until 7:00 this morning but has showered and gone in to work. There is a virus going around this area that is making people dizzy, about faint, and nauseous. I thought he may have gotten that but it doesn't seem so now. He never had those symptoms. He pushes himself too much and I think he may have just been exhausted. Hope that is all it is! Hope your DH is feeling better and more like his adoring self to you instead of his "baby bear" self. My DH is the opposite of yours-he will bite your head off for doting over him when he is sick-he doesn't want to be bothered by anyone over anything. I honestly think if the house was on fire, he would be crabby if you warned him! {#emotions_dlg.scared}

Good Afternoon Mustang,

Okay you're back in with the cookie makingSmile.

I do hope your DH feels a bit better today....At least he slept........Mine had kept me up non stop until I lost it and took him for a bit of a wild ride on the living room recliner which is on casters, so it made him really dizzy and he had no choice but to finally go to sleep. Then the guard dogs and I got to get some rest too.......long over due!

I guess your husband does not like being doted upon when he is ill......some men are like that, but all in all I could change with you Mustang if you prefer {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}.

Honestly I don't know which scenario is worse...... what you have, or what I have when our DH's become ill.

I was so exhausted, and I retired my baby bear to a part in my memory bank I shall retain for future reference.

I sweat they get a simple cold and the world comes to an end........and they call women the weaker s*ex......yeah right!!!!!!

Hope your hubby feels much better and recoups completely very soon.

Have a great day my friend, and I keep hearing my beloved mother's wise words in my ears.....Just do your best, grit your teeth, think before you speak, and pray real hard.

Wow she really had it down pat.

She was a very smart, overly wise and loving woman, and knew how to handle most all situations.

She had a remedy and action plan for everything.

I really try and emulate her, but she never had my Phillip and his darn wedding bells....that's a whole other scenario.

Hello Adore!

I am a nurse-have been for over 30 years and yes, men are worse than women and doctors who become ill are THE WORST! And it doesn't matter if they are male or female-LOL!

My DH is either doing fine or knows better than to tell me because I tried to get him to stay home and work out of his office here but he insisted he was fine. I warned him if he got any of his staff sick, he was in for big problems! Off he went in the heavy fog we had this morning. If he comes home ill, the sympathy train left the station after he took off this morning-good thing he is pretty much self sufficient when ill. {#emotions_dlg.devil2} It will be a survival technique he will need at that point.

My advice to you my friend, when your DH is all better, hide those bells! Be sure those dogs know who butters their bread and hopefully if your Greek man becomes ill again, he won't have bells and you will have the doggies on your side!

Now, what cookies are we going to bake? {#emotions_dlg.w00t}

Honored Contributor

I vote for Chocolate Mint Chocolate Chip!

Honored Contributor

White chocolate macadamia nut gets my vote

Respected Contributor

Good Afternoon Mustang,

Okay you're back in with the cookie makingSmile.

How about Chocolate Chip cookies......My favorite...........Then we can also make RespectLife's Favorite, and your favorite too.......as well as others listed?

I do hope your DH feels a bit better today....At least he slept........Mine had kept me up non stop until I lost it and took him for a bit of a wild ride on the living room recliner which is on casters, so it made him really dizzy and he had no choice but to finally go to sleep. Then the guard dogs and I got to get some rest too.......long over due!

I guess your husband does not like being doted upon when he is ill......some men are like that, but all in all I could change with you Mustang if you prefer {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}.

Honestly I don't know which scenario is worse...... what you have, or what I have when our DH's become ill.

I was so exhausted, and I retired my baby bear to a part in my memory bank I shall retain for future reference.

I sweat they get a simple cold and the world comes to an end........and they call women the weaker s*ex......yeah right!!!!!!

Hope your hubby feels much better and recoups completely very soon.

Have a great day my friend, and I keep hearing my beloved mother's wise words in my ears.....Just do your best, grit your teeth, think before you speak, and pray real hard.

Wow she really had it down pat.

She was a very smart, overly wise and loving woman, and knew how to handle most all situations.

She had a remedy and action plan for everything.

I really try and emulate her, but she never had my Phillip and his darn wedding bells....that's a whole other scenario.

Esteemed Contributor

Adore,

I'm not sure what happened-your post -#88, is the same one I responded to in post 85. Your Phillip has you too tired! Tell him even nurses work in shifts and he needs to give you a break! I always gently remind my "favorite" patients-the ones I know have some humor-to be nice to me and the other nurses because we are the only ones keeping them alive! Otherwise, they will have to depend on the doctors! {#emotions_dlg.scared}

My favorite homemade cookie is sugar cookies-I like all kinds; cutouts, drop, soft, crunchy, but iced cutouts would probably be my most favorite of all. Shortbread comes an extremely close second though! We need to get busy! Just need to know your favorite!

Respected Contributor
On 3/11/2015 mustang66lady said:

Adore,

I'm not sure what happened-your post -#88, is the same one I responded to in post 85. Your Phillip has you too tired! Tell him even nurses work in shifts and he needs to give you a break! I always gently remind my "favorite" patients-the ones I know have some humor-to be nice to me and the other nurses because we are the only ones keeping them alive! Otherwise, they will have to depend on the doctors! {#emotions_dlg.scared}

My favorite homemade cookie is sugar cookies-I like all kinds; cutouts, drop, soft, crunchy, but iced cutouts would probably be my most favorite of all. Shortbread comes an extremely close second though! We need to get busy! Just need to know your favorite!

Chocolate Chip Mustang, and you are right I am still a bit over tired.

Phillip did have me going non stop for quite a while when I was posting in between to keep my sanity and feel grounded.