Honored Contributor

Re: Quick Pot Sticker Soup

[ Edited ]

@ChiliPepper 

I just happen to have about 4 bottles of Prosecco!  A neighbor gifts a bottle every Christmas and we have never opened them!!

I don't have fresh or frozen cranberries, but I do have dried.

I may need to crack open a bottle and make this cake!

On the Summer Baking Show they had to made desserts inspired by Summer Cocktails and Mimosa was one of them!

Thanks!

Honored Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

I just made an Apple Pie for Mother's Day.

I will say it was not my best.  Crust too flakey it was hard to cut slices.

Crumb topping was a bit like sawdust!

Apple pie is usually one of my best....but I think maybe I should switch to those bars!!

Thanks for posting that @ChiliPepper 

@RespectLife 

As usual, I was looking for something a little different for Apple Pie Day.

I figure everyone has a fav recipe for a regular pie - we needed something close but unusual.

Plus, it's easier to cut the bar recipe in half if you have a small household.

I'm thinking the bar pieces could even be frozen if necessary. 

Honored Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

@ChiliPepper 

I just happen to have about 4 bottles of Prosecco!  A neighbor gifts a bottle every Christmas and we have never opened them!!

On the Summer Baking Show they had to made desserts inspired by Summer Cocktails and Mimosa was one of them!

Thanks!

@RespectLife 

That Mimosa Cake looks DELISH doesn't it???

YUMMO!!!

It would even be good without the cranberries too don't ya think???

Honored Contributor

@ChiliPepper wrote:

@RespectLife wrote:

I just made an Apple Pie for Mother's Day.

I will say it was not my best.  Crust too flakey it was hard to cut slices.

Crumb topping was a bit like sawdust!

Apple pie is usually one of my best....but I think maybe I should switch to those bars!!

Thanks for posting that @ChiliPepper 

@RespectLife 

As usual, I was looking for something a little different for Apple Pie Day.

I figure everyone has a fav recipe for a regular pie - we needed something close but unusual.

Plus, it's easier to cut the bar recipe in half if you have a small household.

I'm thinking the bar pieces could even be frozen if necessary. 

Excellent Point @ChiliPepper 

I wouldn't even consider trying to freeze half an Apple pie...but bars you can!

Honored Contributor

@ChiliPepper wrote:

@RespectLife wrote:

@ChiliPepper 

Thanks!

@RespectLife 

That Mimosa Cake looks DELISH doesn't it???

YUMMO!!!

It would even be good without the cranberries too don't ya think???

I was thinking that exact thing @ChiliPepper 

DD would not touch it w/ cranberries, but she would love the flavors with out!

Ya can't convince her to push them aside either, cuz if something she doesn't like is in something.....it has contaminated with Cooties the entire dish.

SMH!  How old is she???

12 ????

Honored Contributor

National Walnut Day | May 17th - National Day Calendar

Honored Contributor

NATIONAL QUICHE LORRAINE DAY

NATIONAL QUICHE LORRAINE DAY | May 20 - National Day Calendar

Honored Contributor

NATIONAL QUICHE LORRAINE DAY

We celebrate May 20 as National Quiche Lorraine Day. This versatile French delight makes it an excellent dish for any time of the day.

Quiche Lorraine has origins beginning in the rural Lorraine region of France. While it's considered a French dish, it developed during a time when the Lorraine Region was under German rule.

Even the word Quiche comes from the German word kuchen, meaning cake.

The Lorraine region of France is also known for many other delicious dishes such as madeleines, Jordon almonds, macarons, and Lorraine hotpot. Of course, the area is also known for its viticulture.

The original Quiche Lorraine was made with an open pie using a bottom crust with a filling of custard and smoked bacon. A cast-iron skillet was used to cook the original Quiche. Cheese was added to the recipe at a much later time.

Classic Quiche Lorraine must include eggs, heavy cream, bacon, Swiss cheese and a flaky crust. Whether you eat it hot or cold, Quiche Lorraine must stay true to the original recipe. Of course there are many different types of quiche recipes, but a recipe that contains ham, sausage, veggies or fruit is not Quiche Lorraine.

Quiche Lorraine pairs well with just about anything. Deciding what sides to serve with your quiche depends on what you. Consider serving:

• Green salads
  • Roasted vegetables
  • Potatoes
  • French bread
  • Steamed veggies
  • Soup
  • Fruit salad
  • Rolls

Making Quiche Lorraine is extremely simple. However, the secret to a really delicious quiche is:

• 1 egg = 1 half cup of heavy cream.
  • Pre-bake your crust.
  • Layer your crust with cheese before pouring in your egg mixture.
  • Do not overbake.
Honored Contributor

Slice of quiche Lorraine on a plate with a salad.

Quiche Lorraine

Richly flavored with Gruyère cheese and smoky bacon, quiche Lorraine is one of the most satisfying dishes imaginable.

Servings: 4 to 6
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 1 Hour
Total Time: 1 Hour 15 Minutes

INGREDIENTS:

• One 9-inch deep-dish frozen pie crust
  • 8 oz thick-cut bacon (about 6 slices), diced
  • ½ cup chopped shallots, from 2 medium shallots
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1¼ cups heavy cream
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • Pinch ground nutmeg
  • 4 oz Gruyère, finely shredded (about 1¼ cups)

INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Blind bake the crust: Preheat the oven to 400°F and set a rack in the middle position. Remove the pie crust from freezer and thaw until just soft enough to easily ****** with a fork, about 10 minutes. (If there are any cracks in the crust, see note below on how to patch them up.) ****** the bottom and sides all over with a fork. Place the crust on a baking sheet to make it easy to move in and out of the oven. Bake on until lightly golden, 10 to 15 minutes. Keep an eye on it; if it puffs up while cooking, gently ****** it with a fork so it will deflate. (If it cracks while baking, see note below for instructions on how to patch it up.) Set aside and reduce the oven temperature to 325°F.
  2. In a medium nonstick sauté pan over medium heat, cook the bacon, stirring occasionally, until crisp, about 10 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Pour off all but one tablespoon of fat from the pan. Add the shallots and cook over medium-low heat until soft and translucent, 3 to 4 minutes. Do not brown. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside.
  3. In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs. Add the heavy cream, salt, cayenne pepper, and nutmeg; whisk until evenly combined.
  4. Spread the shallots evenly over the bottom of the cooked crust. Top with half of the bacon, all of the Gruyère, and then the remaining bacon. Pour the egg/cream mixture over top.
  5. Slide the quiche (still on the baking sheet) into the oven and bake at 325°F for 45 to 50 minutes, until the custard is set and lightly golden. Serve hot or warm.
  6. Note: Don't panic if your crust has cracks -- you can easily fix it. Make a smooth paste by mixing 1 tablespoon of flour with 1 tablespoon of water. Use your fingers to patch up and fill any cracks, then proceed with the recipe. If the crust cracks while blind baking, patch it afterwards and place it back in the oven for a minute or so to set. It should be good as new.
  7. Make-Ahead Instructions: This quiche can be fully prepared up to a day ahead of time and refrigerated. To reheat: Cover the quiche with aluminum foil and heat in a preheated 300°F oven for 35 to 45 minutes, or until hot in the center.
  8. Freezer-Friendly Instructions: The cooked quiche can be frozen for up to 3 months. After baking and cooling the quiche, wrap it in a layer of plastic wrap and then a layer of aluminum foil. Remove the quiche from the freezer about 24 hours prior to eating. Remove the plastic wrap and reheat it, covered with foil, in a 300°F oven for 35 to 45 minutes, or until hot in the center.

NUTRITION INFORMATION:

• Per serving (6 servings)
  • Calories:616
  • Fat:51 g
  • Saturated fat:24 g
  • Carbohydrates:24 g
  • Sugar:3 g
  • Fiber:1 g
  • Protein:16 g
  • Sodium:575 mg
  • Cholesterol:232 mg
Honored Contributor

Re: Quick Pot Sticker Soup

[ Edited ]

@RespectLife 

pink lemonade bars

Pink Lemonade Bars with Grenadine

A refreshing summertime twist on my favorite lemon bar sounded like just the ticket today! I had to take a break from making them for awhile, because my hubby requested them so often that I tired of making them. I actually started to despise making them. And that’s never a good thing.

Baking should always be enjoyable and fun! So I thought, “Time to revamp!” After considering adding different juices, even cranberry, I decided to just go old school and add a little grenadine!

When I was a girl, I used to help one of my Grandma’s make homemade pink lemonade, and she always told me the secret was to use a little “grenadine”.

Grenadine is a ruby red, sweet/tart syrupy liquid made from pomegranates, sugar and water, and is commonly used to tint difference drinks, juices and cocktails (such as the Tequila Sunrise and the “kiddie cocktail” Shirley Temple), a light pink.

People commonly think that there’s alcohol in it, but I assure you that there is not.

Try to find a decent brand and be sure to check the back for the ingredients. Unfortunately, a lot of companies use cheaper fruit juices, artificial flavors and red dyes such as the most common brand called, “Rose’s”. But if that is all you can find, it’s “ok” to use. Not great, but since we’re only adding a minute amount, it does just fine in a pinch.

Most recipes that use grenadine only require a tiny amount due to the color it produces. A little goes a long way! And it doesn’t taste bad or anything, it just barely contains actual pomegranate juice if any at all.   

No matter what kind of grenadine you purchase, you’ll have a summer-time crush and fall madly in love with these bars! They are my best lemon bars with a beach party makeover, and are a hit with “Mr. Picky”!

Be sure to make these for your next barbecue, picnic, or pool-side party! Enjoy and have a sunshiny day! 

Makes 24 bars or 36 squares

For crust:

1 1/2 cups flour

1/2 cup powdered sugar

3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) real butter, cold, cut up into small pieces

For filling:

3 extra-large eggs

1/3 cup lemon juice concentrate, or fresh squeezed from 2 lemons (either is fine)

1  1/2 Tbl. grenadine syrup

1 cup sugar

1/2 tsp. baking powder

1/2 tsp. salt

3 Tbl. flour

1/4 cup powdered sugar to heavily dust

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 13″ x 9″ baking pan with foil extending it over the sides a little. Lightly spray foil with butter-flavored cooking spray.

In medium bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups flour and 1/2 cup powdered sugar. I use a whisk. With pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.

Sprinkle dough evenly across bottom of pan. Level, brushing with your hand lightly, then pat dough firmly onto bottom.

Bake 15-17 minutes until lightly browned.

While crust is pre-baking, in mixing bowl, beat eggs on highest speed until thick and lemon-colored, about 3-4 minutes using whisk attachment.

Reduce speed to low, add lemon juice, grenadine,  sugar, baking powder, salt, and remaining 3 Tbl. flour.

Beat on high again until blended, scraping sides and bottom of bowl occaisionally.

Pour filling over warm crust.

Bake 15-18 minutes, or until filling is just set and golden around the edges.

Remove pan to wire rack.

Sift powdered sugar on top over warm filling. Cool completely in pan.

When cool, lift out holding on to foil, and transfer whole thing to a cutting board. Peel back foil from all sides and press edges of foil flat out of the way, and cut into bars or smaller squares. Really easy to get the foil off of the edges completely if you let the edge just barely hang over the cutting board doing one side at a time. Center before slicing.

Store in an airtight container in the fridge.