Esteemed Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

Good morning!

I have been reading the Texas Sheet Cake thread.  Great ideas and a Peanut Butter version was posted.

Have only made chocolate before.

There is a white recipe posted as well that does Not use shortening.

I posted I had a white recipe, but I was leery of shortening.

I haven't bought Crisco since the 80's I think!  LOL

Anyone ever make a cake or frosting using shortening?  I just don't think I would want to 'eat' it.  Frying in it is one thing, althought I do not fry.

But it would be raw in a frosting....I am use to butter cake/frosting recipes.

Any thoughts?

@RespectLife 

Yes I have used shortening in a cake and in frosting.  I can see where it is not appealing.  But if you don't know it is there, you might not mind either.  Shortening can provide a very soft crumb in your cake and flakiness in your pie crust.  I make Wiltons' butter cream icing which calls for shortening.  I will say, most people, even those who do not claim to be cake people, say they really like it.  It does take a lot of the sweetness out of buttercream and makes it more palatible.  It also stabalizes the icing as well.    Sometimes just not making a big deal of things help people to embrace that which they otherwise would not.  Of course, you have to get past that which you deem not worthy to eat on occasion, as palatible too.  I have a feeling since you seem to be so questionable about using shortening, you will not be happy no matter what and that is ok.  You have to remember baking is chemistry.   If you sub sometihing else, you may not be successful.  Maybe you should try something you are more comfortable cooking with.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Writer with Flair 

I remember my mother telling me that her mother used to let the girls pick a dress from the Sears catalog for Christmas.  Then my grandmother would proceed to perfectly reproduce that dress for her daughters.  They only got one or two new dresses a year since that Grandmother had 13 children.   I can't even imagine looking at a dress and have the ability to remake it at home without a pattern.  Even with a pattern I can't imagine remaking it.  My maternal Grandmother was a force to contend with.  She also made suits for the boys in the family from just looking at the photos in the catelog.  

Honored Contributor

Good morning my friends, on this Memorial Day I want to wish you and your families sincere thanks for their service to our nation, prayers for their continued safety and deepest gratitude for those that made the ultimate sacrifice to keep us safe. God bless each and every one and God bless the United States of America.

I hope you all have a happy, peaceful, restful and blessed Memorial Day Monday . . .

Honored Contributor

Oh @momtochloe 

So beautifully said!!!

Sincerest gratitude is right...so many of our soldier's have sacrificed. We remember and pray for them and their families!!

Honored Contributor

@mustang66lady 

Life,love,sugar has a fab stabilized whipped cream frosting that I have been using for a long time. It holds and is perfect for decorating!

I agree, when you have a fav, stick with it. When I have made buttercream, the family asks what happened! Lol

I made a white frosting that called for butter and shortening, and it had an odd taste to me.

Honored Contributor

The Peanut butter Texas sheet cake was a big hit with the neighbors. Very moist but held in cut bars, so easy to eat. All gone !

I did make one change, I went with a chocolate frosting from my other sheet cake recipe. Added a little PB and decorated with chopped Reeses mini PB cups.

the recipe called for a PB only frosting and I thought that would make it too blonde.

wanted the choc and PB combo flavors.

There is a Texas Sheet Cake thread if you are interested.

Honored Contributor

I'm not sure how many of us are bakers...but I ran across Miss Dot's Pound Cake recipe.

It was on a segment of Home Town.  A lady was buying a large house.  As they did much needed complete demo on the kitchen, they found a note that said...Miss Dot's Pound Cake...and her phone number.

Apparently, Miss Dot and the previous home owner (now deceased) used to make these cakes and gift them all over town.

Erin called Miss Dot and they got together to make one for the new homeowner.  Miss Dot was creaming all that butter etc (below) with a hand mixer!  Gracious, somebody needs to buy Miss Dot a KA>

It sure isn't low cal....but I am going to make it sometime just for the fun of it.

MISS DOT'S POUND CAKE

• All purpose flour – 3 cups
  • Sugar – 3 cups
  • Six eggs
  • Butter – 3 sticks
  • 8 oz. cream cheese
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp salt
ALL ROOM TEMP

1. Beat the ingredients together well
  2. Pour into a greased and floured bundt pan
  3. Place it into a cold oven
  4. Bake at 300 degrees for 1 hour and a half
  5. Take it out carefully, and your pound cake should be complete!
Honored Contributor

We are in for a steamer weekend they say...hope they are not lying because I want to get in the pool!

@Writer with Flair   @tiny 2 

Now where is my special K Team Bathing Cap??

Honored Contributor

Hiya Kitchenettes, TGIF! 👍😄

Hope everyone is doing well and had a great week.  Things here have been extremely quiet but tomorrow could get sporty as I am going to attempt grilling chicken legs and the last time I tried that . . . Well . . . Let's just say things got a little . . . Firey . . . 😬😮😄😎😱😱😱😱😱😱

I hope to give Geek Squad a call next week so I can get at least one laptop functional so I can return to the boards again.  I've given up trying to fix things myself, time to ask for help . . . 😉 

Have a great Friday evening and a wonderful weekend and stay cool! 😎💓

Respected Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@Writer with Flair wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

@Writer with Flair  my my my how our fashion senses have changed over the years . . . we've had some rough decades . . . Smiley WinkSmiley Very Happy

Last week I saw my beloved Norma Kamali on Wendy Williams, gosh she looks great!  She's somewhere in her 70's and still impeccable.  I was such a fan of hers back in the day . . . Heart

mtc,

In the olden days (1980's ?), I remember Vogue Patterns coming out with patterns of garments designed by such designers as Norma Kamali, Halston, etc.  While I knew I was not a good enough seamstress to actually make any of those designs, I certainly enjoyed looking at them and daydreaming about what fabrics I might use to make them if I could sew well.

I saw where NK recently has gotten engaged to her boyfriend of 10 years.  All I can say is, "You go girl!"  She must be in her mid 70's or early 80's by now.  Like that little old lady, Miss Lewis (played by Bea Benadaret) on the "I Love Lucy" show said, "Just because there is snow on the roof doesn't mean there's not a fire in the furnace."

Papermoon Loves Lucy — "Lucy Plays Cupid"

@Writer with Flair  I caught her on Wendy Williams.  She has a new book out (bet that's a great read!) and she looks absolutely stunning.  Jet black hair in a Cleopatra cut, big black glasses, fabulous black and white pantsuit, great shoes, the whole package.  They did talk about her engagement at her age and she basically said if it's right, go for it!  She's in a good place now and I wish that for her as she seems just lovely.  Heart

mtc,

Thanks for the update on NK.  It sounds like she has mastered the art of living well.  Good for her!