Esteemed Contributor

Ok ladies, I have my worry bonnet on.  Has anyone noticed @novamc1  or @Honeybit  posting on other threads?  I'm praying they are well but I haven't seen them post here for a while.  Also hoping that @VaBelle35  is still healthy too-she was posting quite often there for a bit, but I haven't seen her posting lately here and I have been busy so not reading other forums very often.  Praying all and their families are healthy and safe.   We miss you when you don't check in once in awhile.  Heart

Honored Contributor

@Writer with Flair wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

@VaBelle35 wrote:

I forgot to mention that I previously made Pioneer Woman's Sherry Tomato Soup which is less fiddly but very good.

I was trying to remember what soup recipe I made that had sherry in it and found this on my Pinterest board.

https://www.thepioneerwoman.com/food-cooking/recipes/a9427/sherried-tomato-soup/ 

@VaBelle35  thanks so much for this as this is very scalable and perfect for me . . . yum!

Hope your a/c/housing issues are handled quickly and you have your much cooler life back soon!  Smiley Happy

VaBelle,

What do you think of adding crabmeat to this soup?  The picture reminds me of a crab bisque I had many years ago.

I would definitely do that.  I wish I had read this before i went grocery shopping today.  LOL

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@mustang66lady wrote:

@VaBelle35 wrote:

I forgot to mention that I previously made Pioneer Woman's Sherry Tomato Soup which is less fiddly but very good.

I was trying to remember what soup recipe I made that had sherry in it and found this on my Pinterest board.

https://www.thepioneerwoman.com/food-cooking/recipes/a9427/sherried-tomato-soup/ 

@VaBelle35 

When you made this soup, did you use cooking sherry or sherry you drink?  I know what the recipe calls for but almost every cook/chef says to avoid cooking sherry and use what you would drink.  I don't want to purchase something that is too salty or bitter and ruin the recipe.  I know Ree's recipes for the most part are pretty stellar but this one ingredient I question.  I don't have another recipe I would use it in but I do have recipes that call for sherry that recommend drinking sherry.  Your thoughts and opinions are appreciated!

I used cream sherry because that's all I had, it's the kind you drink.  

From Wine Spectator:

Cream Sherry doesn't have any dairy in it, but it is sweet and dark, in the oloroso style. How did it get its name? The story goes that a woman attending a Sherry tasting in the late 1800s sampled a variety of traditional Sherry, which was nicknamed "Bristol's Milk" (named after the British port of Bristol, where Sherry was routinely shipped). After tasting the new, sweeter, more unctuous (and as-yet-unnamed) Sherry, she declared, "If that is milk, then this is cream," and the nickname stuck. Because of its style, cream Sherry is recommended as an after-dinner drink, served over ice or perhaps on the side with a cup of coffee.

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

@VaBelle35 wrote:

I had the same decor problem after I painted everything.

I kept it all until I was ready to redecorate and moved a few things to new places but a lot didn't work anymore.

@VaBelle35 

Did you sell, keep or donate?

I have some really nice antique pieces and would hate to just Goodwill them.

I was thinking one of those neighborhood online things.  Not keen on Craig's list.

Gave away the larger stuff on Nextdoor and the smaller stuff went to Salvation Army donation center.

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

@VaBelle35 wrote:

@tiny 2 wrote:

@Writer with Flair, I do not have a recipe for the fruitcake. You can order it from the website. I think they send them all over.

I have not had the tuna casserole. Tuna in a casserole does not appeal to me and I have never had a single bite of one but they sure seem to be loved by many people.

The Country Captain dish has been claimed by Charleston SC and Savannah. It probably came in through one of the ports. There are all sorts of stories about it. It really is delicious. It is a braise and when done served over rice. The rice is not included in the recipe. There are various versions where some use only chicken breast or only thighs with the skin removed etc but the traditional way is to use cut up chicken pieces dredged in a light coating of flour, saute then remove the chicken while you add the other ingredients then chicken back in the pan. I make it the traditional way and when I have wanted to use it as a hearty hors d' oeuve for a large crowd, I use thighs cut in bite size pieces and serve in a heated chafing dish. I cut everything much smaller for this. I have to go now but I will give you the recipe later today. Now I am wanting itWoman LOL LOL

I only heard about this on Top Chef over the years but never tried it.  This most recent season, in the Restaurant Wars episode, one of the restaurants was built around Country Captain as the main dish and then a thousand side dishes to go with it.

It sounds interesting.

@VaBelle35 

I totally lied then!  I did watch Top Chef and saw that dish.  Didn't remember it as a Country Captain!

Didn't he go out on that dish w/ Restaurant Wars?

I know he made it back in later but thought they didn't like the dish.  He was also in charge because he made that dish the first time and they loved it....

He put himself out.  He felt he should go home so they let him go.

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

@mustang66lady 

I buy Taylor Sherry at the booze store.

Never cooking sherry at the grocery store, but that is my preference.

That's the brand I have as well.  I have 2 bottles of cream sherry for some reason and I finished my  bottle of dry sherry so I don't want to buy another bottle until I use these 2 up.

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

I was able to get to the car wash today.  The pollen on my car was just baking on the car and wasn't washing off when it rained.

I haven't been since February I think.

It's definitely toasty here.  I am hoping that the gym will be able to open the pool up to more than 10 people per class soon.

I'm starting my vacation today for 2 weeks.  I need my quarterly attitude adjustment before I get fired.  Working from home doesn't change the fact that people annoy me.  They just annoy me for more hours in the day.  LOL

I am not going anywhere and not doing much because most stuff is still closed and not necessary.

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

@VaBelle35 

I'm glad to see you check in.  I'm sorry work has been so cumbersome during this time.  I hope you have a great vacation and get the rest and peace you need to continue your work at the end of vacay.  

Thanks for the advice on the sherry.  I always thought never to use cooking sherry but rather what you would drink instead.  I'm not familiar with cream sherry-will have to check that out!  And thanks @RespectLife  for your words re; the sherry as well.  I know I have avoided recipes because they call for sherry and I'm just never confident about using it, especially if I do not know what the recipe is suppose to taste like to begin with. 

Honored Contributor

@VaBelle35 

Thanks for mentioning cream sherry. I would like to use that!

On the list it goes!

Honored Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

I was able to get to the car wash today.  The pollen on my car was just baking on the car and wasn't washing off when it rained.

I haven't been since February I think.

It's definitely toasty here.  I am hoping that the gym will be able to open the pool up to more than 10 people per class soon.

I'm starting my vacation today for 2 weeks.  I need my quarterly attitude adjustment before I get fired.  Working from home doesn't change the fact that people annoy me.  They just annoy me for more hours in the day.  LOL

I am not going anywhere and not doing much because most stuff is still closed and not necessary.

Oh my goodness @VaBelle35 , true that! Attitude adjustment! Hee!

I have all the doors locked and don't let the guys in (you know, germs and all) and they still manage to annoy the bajeebers outta me! Lol

Enjoy your time off!