Honored Contributor

Good morning Kitchenettes, happy Monday everybody . . . Smiley Happy

Hello Everybody GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Honored Contributor

Oh gosh guys I know it isn't Thankful Thursday but I just wanted to say how blessed I am that I found the HVAC guy that fixed the problem in my unit.  It was always, always warm and very hard to live with in the summer (don't care in the winter but never had to run the furnace if that gives you any indication of what was going on here).

It's very warm here today but for the first time there is no blast of heat/humidity when after going shopping I open my door that usually greeted me.  I used to sit in front of a fan literally 24/7 and the poor unit ran constantly but never really brought the temperature down.  Turns out, my HVAC had been disconnected from the building's HVAC . . . yikes, what a difference!  

Just want to say a huge thank you to the HVAC Gods but most of all to my new BFF Wally! . . . I do not miss my constant "glow" . . . Happy Moments animated emoticon

Respected Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

Oh gosh guys I know it isn't Thankful Thursday but I just wanted to say how blessed I am that I found the HVAC guy that fixed the problem in my unit.  It was always, always warm and very hard to live with in the summer (don't care in the winter but never had to run the furnace if that gives you any indication of what was going on here).

It's very warm here today but for the first time there is no blast of heat/humidity when after going shopping I open my door that usually greeted me.  I used to sit in front of a fan literally 24/7 and the poor unit ran constantly but never really brought the temperature down.  Turns out, my HVAC had been disconnected from the building's HVAC . . . yikes, what a difference!  

Just want to say a huge thank you to the HVAC Gods but most of all to my new BFF Wally! . . . I do not miss my constant "glow" . . . Happy Moments animated emoticon

@momtochloe   Oh My Goodness. I would be highly irritated to learn that but thank goodness you have it now.

Respected Contributor

And, there always is Dr. Fauci or Brad Pitt dressed up as Dr. Fauci.

Brad Pitt transforms into Dr Anthony Fauci for SNL just like the ...

@momtochloe 

Ohhhh, I'm a Tom Selleck girl!  Those shorts and cut out tshirt he wore on his jog in Three Men and a Baby just before he discovers the baby at the door...... ehhh, what baby?!   Oh yea, that one.......

Mustang,

I remember a tee shirt you could get that said something like, "If found, please return to Tom Selleck."

Respected Contributor

Coleman's Hickory Smoked Uncured Bacon is our favorite brand.  It has less sodium (I think 140 mg per slice) than most other brands, if that is a consideration.

@Writer with Flair  before I forget (again!) I love Coleman products, just the very best!  I used to get their already cooked flame broiled hamburger patties from Costco and they were delicious and never any gristle in them.  They were such a lifesaver for me as my days were very long then and those were a delicious shortcut.  I wish I could find them again, I have to go look to see if they still make them . . . thank you for reminding me!  Heart

Let us know if you ever find those Coleman "already cooked flame broiled hamburger patties."  

Respected Contributor

@Writer with Flair wrote:

@ChiliPepper @Writer with Flair @VaBelle35 , I think it would be good too. I used to go to Charleston SC to visit my sister when she lived there. It was a 5 hour drive so I would leave from work on my long weekend off.  I always looked forward to She-Crab soup they serve down there. It also had sherry in it and it was very rich. Oh my so good.Woman Very Happy Of course there were the marines too...LOL. We would go to the nightclubs in a group of 5 or 6 girls and have a great time dancing the night away. We stuck together in case those marines had any" ideas".  LOLLOLLOL.

tiny 2,

If you ever write your autobiography, I am so buying that book!  Between hearing of your amazing airplane trip to NYC as a teen (at the time, knownst to you but unknownst to your parents) and now, your exploits in Charleston, I truly am ready to hear more of your escapades.  Do you have any ideas for a title for your book?

@Writer with Flair, LOL , That has been suggested to me before.

Honored Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

I had the same decor problem after I painted everything.

I kept it all until I was ready to redecorate and moved a few things to new places but a lot didn't work anymore.

@VaBelle35 

Did you sell, keep or donate?

I have some really nice antique pieces and would hate to just Goodwill them.

I was thinking one of those neighborhood online things.  Not keen on Craig's list.

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@tiny 2 wrote:

Does anyone have a good recipe for something called "Captain's Casserole" or "Country Captain's Casserole"?

Capt Kirk, American icon? - Japan Today    Captain America | Creators, Stories, & Films | BritannicaCap'n Crunch Cereal | MrBreakfast.com

@Writer with Flair, MS. Writer, I am absolutely FLABBERGASTED Woman SurprisedWoman SurprisedWoman SurprisedWoman SurprisedWoman Surprisedthat you lived here and did not have Country Captain.  I mean, this is almost sacred food in the south. HOW??????? It is just not done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We will have to remedy this!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok @Writer with Flair  and @tiny 2 , ya made me look and I was shocked to see curry is involved in this recipe . . . I did not see that coming!  I always thought of curry as being kind of strictly Indian cooking territory.  I have to try and research how all of this came to be . . . how interesting!  Smiley Very Happy

Okay, I git every Captain pictured above but have never heard of a casserole!

I guess I am too far North!

Honored Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

@tiny 2 wrote:

@Writer with Flair, I do not have a recipe for the fruitcake. You can order it from the website. I think they send them all over.

I have not had the tuna casserole. Tuna in a casserole does not appeal to me and I have never had a single bite of one but they sure seem to be loved by many people.

The Country Captain dish has been claimed by Charleston SC and Savannah. It probably came in through one of the ports. There are all sorts of stories about it. It really is delicious. It is a braise and when done served over rice. The rice is not included in the recipe. There are various versions where some use only chicken breast or only thighs with the skin removed etc but the traditional way is to use cut up chicken pieces dredged in a light coating of flour, saute then remove the chicken while you add the other ingredients then chicken back in the pan. I make it the traditional way and when I have wanted to use it as a hearty hors d' oeuve for a large crowd, I use thighs cut in bite size pieces and serve in a heated chafing dish. I cut everything much smaller for this. I have to go now but I will give you the recipe later today. Now I am wanting itWoman LOL LOL

I only heard about this on Top Chef over the years but never tried it.  This most recent season, in the Restaurant Wars episode, one of the restaurants was built around Country Captain as the main dish and then a thousand side dishes to go with it.

It sounds interesting.

@VaBelle35 

I totally lied then!  I did watch Top Chef and saw that dish.  Didn't remember it as a Country Captain!

Didn't he go out on that dish w/ Restaurant Wars?

I know he made it back in later but thought they didn't like the dish.  He was also in charge because he made that dish the first time and they loved it....

Respected Contributor

@tiny 2 wrote:

@ChiliPepper @Writer with Flair @VaBelle35 , I think it would be good too. I used to go to Charleston SC to visit my sister when she lived there. It was a 5 hour drive so I would leave from work on my long weekend off.  I always looked forward to She-Crab soup they serve down there. It also had sherry in it and it was very rich. Oh my so good.Woman Very Happy Of course there were the marines too...LOL. We would go to the nightclubs in a group of 5 or 6 girls and have a great time dancing the night away. We stuck together in case those marines had any" ideas".  LOLLOLLOL.

tiny 2,

If you ever write your autobiography, I am so buying that book!  Between hearing of your amazing airplane trip to NYC as a teen (at the time, knownst to you but unknownst to your parents) and now, your exploits in Charleston, I truly am ready to hear more of your escapades.  Do you have any ideas for a title for your book?

@Writer with Flair, LOL , That has been suggested to me before.

tiny 2,

In the words of the advertisements of That Great Titan of Athletic Footwear, NIKE, "Just Do It!"

The Brand Brief Behind Nike's Just Do It Campaign

Please, m'am.  We need the smiles your book would provide during times like these.