Honored Contributor

Ok, now I want chicken pot pie!

Esteemed Contributor

@RespectLife

When I was a young bride, I relied on Bisquick a lot.  I think I have made an impossible pie but it has been so very long ago, I don't remember which one it was.  I do remember thinking a few of them did look really good, but for the calories, wasn't worth it for me.  Our grocery stores do carry a pouch of bisquick-maybe holds 2-3 cups-if you just want to try one of those impossible pies, it should be plenty.  Then you can decide to either purchase a larger box or make your own recipe as @VaBelle35 provided.  I sometimes make those sausage balls with bisquick cheddar cheese and sausage for an appetizer and I just purchase one of those bags of Bisquick for that.  Bisquick does fall in that category of things that does have a shelf life even if stored in the freezer or fridge, so not a good idea to purchase a huge amount unless you are sure you will use it in a timely manner.  I do remember using it for biscuits (no where near as good as scratch) topping off cobblers, pancakes, muffins-there are a lot of ways to use it up, but just usually don't care for the taste.  It's not bad, just not worth the splurge for me.   I'm a loner here though because lots of people do love it and as I said, it is multi-functional.   

Respected Contributor

Re: Quick Pot Sticker Soup

[ Edited ]

I seem to remember my Mom using Bisquick for a cobbler-type topping for beef pot pies and for fruit cobblers.

The vintage cookbook I've been looking over contains several  recipes for  appetizer-sized sausage balls.

SAUSAGE BALLS 

1 lb. mild or hot  sausage

1 lb. mild Cheddar

3 cups Bisquick

Grate cheese and mix with sausage and dry Bisquick.  Roll into 1-inch balls,  Bake on cookie sheet at 350 degees for 45 minutes.

---OR---

1 lb. hot sausage

8 oz. grated sharp Cheddar

3 cups Bisquick

Mix all together, form into 1-inch balls.  Freeze on cookie sheet and then store in a freezer bag.  Bake on cookie sheet at 325 degrees for 35 minutes when frozen.

---OR---

1 lb. hot sausage

1 lb. shredded Cheddar

2 cups Bisquick

Mix all together and roll into balls a little larger than marbles.  Bake until brown at 350-400 degrees.

Trusted Contributor

Hi, All, I have been reading to catch up and am surprised how little you have had to say about the weather.  From the national news it looks like most of you are getting hammered.  It is not going to get above freezing at all here today and we actually had snow last night.  Chill factors are down in the single digits from winds around 30 mph.  The good thing about this particular snow is that the air is so cold and the humidity so low that it is sticking on the ground but not on the trees, so no broken power lines.  All the schools in the Metro Atlanta area are closed. 

If I remember right, my friend who was born in Hawaii and LOVED living in Alaska said they didn't close the schools there unless the temp dropped below -30 degrees.  This week it was warmer in Alaska than in Atlanta according to our local weatherman.

Gotta love Atlanta's version of Winter Wonderland though -- if we survive today, Sunday we are looking for a high of 60 degrees.

I know this sounds silly to you Snow Bunnies, but I am constantly being surprised today by how bright the light is in the house because it's reflecting off the snow.  We don't generally see the combination of bright sunshine and snow coveed ground here.

Ref the discussion on Bisquick, my family only ever used it for those Cheese and Sausage Balls.  A couple of years ago I used the Bisquick recipe for a clone of Cheddar Bay Biscuits because I have a friend who loves them but hates Red Lobster.  They turned out to be pretty good -- I had to laugh at myself:  who would have ever thought of using Bisquick to make Biscuits ?????

There's a lady at church whose specialty is a coconut pie everyone loves -- I think it is the Impossible Coconut Pie recipe that makes its own crust.  (I'm afraid I might offend her if I ask.....)

I'm glad to see Mr. Writer is improving.  The statistics on this year's flu season and the complications from catching it have been really frightening.  

May you all be safe if you HAVE to be out on the roads.

Honored Contributor

The only time I ever used Bisquick was to make those sausage cheese balls.

Now I use the Saveur recipe and use tapica starch to make them Paleo.

https://www.saveur.com/sharp-cheddar-and-pork-sausage-balls-recipe

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

We receiving a coating, but it must be iced over because I hear a lot of scraping out there right now.

I'm glad I made the call to pre-treat the community because the road and sidewalks are showing pavement.  School, government and offices were all open on time today, so people needed to get out.

I will clean my car tomorrow if it's still there.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

There are lots of recipes for sausage balls-I have one that uses rotel and cheeze whiz instead of real cheese!   I haven't made it so can't attest for the flavor.  I believe the blogger Plain Chicken has one that uses cream cheese and Pillsbury has one that uses crescent rolls cut up and mixed in with the cheese and sausage.  I need to break out of the mold and try a new recipe because I think the original recipe is awfully dry.

Esteemed Contributor

@Honeybit

Does your friend know that Red Lobster also has a "turf" menu-last time DH and I went, there was a man sitting across the aisle from us that ordered a steak, baked potato and salad.  They served him the biscuits with his meal, too.  Of course if the smell of seafood bothers your friend then it wouldn't matter what the Lobster served that wasn't seafood!

Honored Contributor

@mustang66lady

That is a great idea!  I will look for a pouch.

The impossible pumpkin pie might be calling my name...but the others....not so much!

I recently read a thread about those Sausage Balls!

Thanks for posting that @novamc1

that would be a good way to use up any leftover

Honored Contributor

@Honeybit

Speaking for myself and possible @ChiliPepper

we are so darn used to snow, snow storms and bitter temps...it just doesn't phase us anymore!  LOL  That's probably why we haven't said much!!

I saw the Coconut Imp. Pie recipe on the BC site that they posted a link for in the other thread.  There are literally PAGES of those pies!  LOL

I will def have to try the sausage balls since you all have.  I have a freezer full of sausage right now.

You guys put the sausage in raw and then bake them?   Aren't they really greasy??