Honored Contributor

Finally got those storms last night. Hoo baby, it was monsooning sideways. At least the thunder wasn't too had. TV blaring was enuf the pups didn't hear it.

Honored Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

@RespectLife wrote:

@mustang66lady 

I buy Taylor Sherry at the booze store.

Never cooking sherry at the grocery store, but that is my preference.

That's the brand I have as well.  I have 2 bottles of cream sherry for some reason and I finished my  bottle of dry sherry so I don't want to buy another bottle until I use these 2 up.

Mee three!  Glad to know I am in such good company . . . Smiley Very Happy

This will be the remainder of my Saturday activity (once I clean up the kitchen fromt he ribs I made at 5am):

Celebrate International Cat Day by... - Interstate Heating & Air ...

Be cool and safe everybody!  Heart

Respected Contributor

@mustang66lady 

re:  your comment about not seeing me posting here too much..........

It  has been INCREDIBLY busy around the outside of our house in recent months.  Major, landscaping work, then  trim and gutter work, then powerwashing and a much-needed exterior paint job., which has been in progress for several days..........NONE of which a home only four years old should need, but essential because the builder hired and used the cheapest manpower and materials he could find---and it shows!!!

Our homeowner's association is kept busy with all the needed work, and I'm stuck at home trying to watch over and sometiimes supervise the barely-English-speaking work crews. 

I'm also writing big checks for some of the work not covered by the HOA rules.

Other than all that, things are just fine.  Trying to stay out of public places and avoid germs.  But have been going to the gym once it partially reopened.

Our entire senior-aged community seems to be keeping healthy and we're all holding small-group gatherings outdoors for socializing on some evenings.

Hope you all are keeping well, too.

Honored Contributor

If anyone is interested, I just made this recipe and it's very good and different from regular baked beans but a nice twist for the summer I think:

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/baked-beans-with-pineapple/

Honored Contributor

@novamc1  good to see you again my friend and I hope you had a happy sometime in June birthday! . . . Heart

Birthday in June Just Wait on It!!! June Is Coming | Birthday Meme ...

Respected Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

@mustang66lady wrote:

@VaBelle35 wrote:

I forgot to mention that I previously made Pioneer Woman's Sherry Tomato Soup which is less fiddly but very good.

I was trying to remember what soup recipe I made that had sherry in it and found this on my Pinterest board.

https://www.thepioneerwoman.com/food-cooking/recipes/a9427/sherried-tomato-soup/ 

@VaBelle35 

When you made this soup, did you use cooking sherry or sherry you drink?  I know what the recipe calls for but almost every cook/chef says to avoid cooking sherry and use what you would drink.  I don't want to purchase something that is too salty or bitter and ruin the recipe.  I know Ree's recipes for the most part are pretty stellar but this one ingredient I question.  I don't have another recipe I would use it in but I do have recipes that call for sherry that recommend drinking sherry.  Your thoughts and opinions are appreciated!

I used cream sherry because that's all I had, it's the kind you drink.  

From Wine Spectator:

Cream Sherry doesn't have any dairy in it, but it is sweet and dark, in the oloroso style. How did it get its name? The story goes that a woman attending a Sherry tasting in the late 1800s sampled a variety of traditional Sherry, which was nicknamed "Bristol's Milk" (named after the British port of Bristol, where Sherry was routinely shipped). After tasting the new, sweeter, more unctuous (and as-yet-unnamed) Sherry, she declared, "If that is milk, then this is cream," and the nickname stuck. Because of its style, cream Sherry is recommended as an after-dinner drink, served over ice or perhaps on the side with a cup of coffee.

Who knew?  Brava, VaBelle!

Respected Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

@RespectLife wrote:

@VaBelle35 wrote:

I had the same decor problem after I painted everything.

I kept it all until I was ready to redecorate and moved a few things to new places but a lot didn't work anymore.

@VaBelle35 

Did you sell, keep or donate?

I have some really nice antique pieces and would hate to just Goodwill them.

I was thinking one of those neighborhood online things.  Not keen on Craig's list.

Gave away the larger stuff on Nextdoor and the smaller stuff went to Salvation Army donation center.

Before my mother came to live with us, she gave some of her nice furniture to a couple from her church who were getting married.  They really could use the furniture and appreciated it a lot.

If your pastor does not know of anyone in the congregation who could use some furniture, you might consider calling churches in lower economic sections of your town or surrounding areas.  I bet there would be some people or a person who would be thrilled to have something nice that they could not afford to purchase themselves.

I went to college with the daughter of a missionary pastor.  Her family gave up a lot to go into the ministry and were very poor.  She said that it really hurt her feelings and self-esteem when people would send her family boxes of literally junk that should have been thrown away.  You might end up really blessing someone and helping them sense God's love for them.

Respected Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

If anyone is interested, I just made this recipe and it's very good and different from regular baked beans but a nice twist for the summer I think:

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/baked-beans-with-pineapple/

mtc,

Mr. Writer just loves baked beans.  What a great recipe.  Thanks for sharing it.

Respected Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

@mustang66lady 

re:  your comment about not seeing me posting here too much..........

It  has been INCREDIBLY busy around the outside of our house in recent months.  Major, landscaping work, then  trim and gutter work, then powerwashing and a much-needed exterior paint job., which has been in progress for several days..........NONE of which a home only four years old should need, but essential because the builder hired and used the cheapest manpower and materials he could find---and it shows!!!

Our homeowner's association is kept busy with all the needed work, and I'm stuck at home trying to watch over and sometiimes supervise the barely-English-speaking work crews. 

I'm also writing big checks for some of the work not covered by the HOA rules.

Other than all that, things are just fine.  Trying to stay out of public places and avoid germs.  But have been going to the gym once it partially reopened.

Our entire senior-aged community seems to be keeping healthy and we're all holding small-group gatherings outdoors for socializing on some evenings.

Hope you all are keeping well, too.

novamc,

I am so sorry that you are continuing to have problems with your house.  With a custom builder, you would hope you would get what you paid for.  I guess that is not the case with many builders these days. 

It was good to hear that you and your friends are doing well and are able to socialize.  It has been over a hundred degrees here and will continue to be that warm for the next week or so.  It's just too hot to do much of anything for any period of time outdoors.

Covid-19 cases, hospitalizations, and deaths are soaring where we live.  The governor says that he will start shutting businesses down again if people don't wear their masks and new cases start declining. 

Hospitals are almost full and there is talk of field hospitals being constructed.  Our summers are so incredibly hot here, that my heart breaks for anyone who would have to be in an outside field hospital environment with any illness--much less Covid-19.

At nights and on weekends, we are working on updating/repairing our house and catching up on yard work.  We had hoped to sell this house and build or buy a new one.  Since the future is uncertain, we think it is a good idea to get things updated here for either when we sell it or if we have to live here longer than originally planned.  In any event, we find that it is good for our mental health to have goals and projects.  Fortunately, we enjoy working on things together.

We are staying in touch with friends and family via emails, texts, and phone calls. 

The virus is starting to hit closer to home as a friend's brother died of it and several people we know have probably had it and recovered with varying after-illness effects.  We also have a friend who is disabled who lives in a nursing home in California.  He had the virus earlier in the year.  There have been four patients who died and one healthcare worker who died from his facility.  He has been through a lot this year since he also had to have surgery for colon cancer.

People we know (almost without exception) are definitely cooking more at home.  Two things are happening:  1) They are saving money from not going out and 2) Everybody has gained some weight (The Covid-5 or Covid-10 or etc. for the number of pounds they have gained.) 

Stay well, happy, and cool, my friend.

Respected Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@VaBelle35 wrote:

@RespectLife wrote:

@mustang66lady 

I buy Taylor Sherry at the booze store.

Never cooking sherry at the grocery store, but that is my preference.

That's the brand I have as well.  I have 2 bottles of cream sherry for some reason and I finished my  bottle of dry sherry so I don't want to buy another bottle until I use these 2 up.

Mee three!  Glad to know I am in such good company . . . Smiley Very Happy

This will be the remainder of my Saturday activity (once I clean up the kitchen fromt he ribs I made at 5am):

Celebrate International Cat Day by... - Interstate Heating & Air ...

Be cool and safe everybody!  Heart

@momtochloe So tell us about the ribs you made  @5amWoman Surprised. All about the RIBS!!!!! I have been wanting ribs all day.Woman Tongue