Honored Contributor

@momtochloe 

@tiny 2 

So the crank kind have a battery as well?

Honored Contributor

@RespectLife  yes mine had both.  Could run on a battery and if the battery wore out then the crank would generate enough power to run for a bit.  It worked great when I first bought it but I guess it sat too long. 😞

Honored Contributor

@tiny 2 

@momtochloe 

Interesting!  Something sticks in my pea brain that I had a crank something or other at one point.  I believe it was a lantern...which didn't make the move!

But what a great idea to have during emergencies!

Respected Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

@tiny 2 

@momtochloe 

Interesting!  Something sticks in my pea brain that I had a crank something or other at one point.  I believe it was a lantern...which didn't make the move!

But what a great idea to have during emergencies!

@RespectLife@mustang66lady @momtochloe , I was going to check but mine is packed up. The last time I used it it seemed that I did a lot of winding but the talk did not last long.  I also have another device that is a little TV that runs on 5 d batteries. I pull up an old antenna attached and I can get a couple of local channels. This thing comes from ancient times LOLWoman LOL but it has really helped during long power outages. I parted with it a few days ago along with 2 (13 qt) Le Creuset pots ouchWoman Sad. They are all heavy.

My sister in law is so happy. I gave her 6 pieces of Le creuset and have hardly made a dent in my collection.

Respected Contributor

Re: Quick Pot Sticker Soup

[ Edited ]

Greetings, mtc, Respect, Mustang, Chili, VaBelle, and tiny2.

Glad to hear that everyone is alive and well and that all have survived the terrible storms. 

That tornado went right over your condo, mtc?  Lions and tigers and bears, oh my!  That was way too close for comfort!.

The Red Cross has a website that has all kinds of emergency preparedness information.  They also have a Red Cross store on their website.  We assumed that their Red Cross radios, etc, would be very good quality, but we were greatly underwhelmed by the things we purchased.    

A Church of Latter-day Saints friend of mine told me about the Emergency Essentials company.  Her faith recommends that, as a Mormon, she should store at least one years worth of food, water, medical, and all other supplies for her family and enough extra to help other people in need.  The Emergency Essentials website name has "beprepared" in it (since we're not supposed to put links in our posts).  We got some of their supplies back in Y2K (and over the years) and have been impressed by the quality.  They have various sizes of emergency kits that you can buy already assembled.  We gave some of those to relatives for Christmas one year and they were a big hit.  We haven't gotten anything lately, but the quality was good a couple of years back.  They also have some water storage things that look useful.  Their "Disater Preparedness" section has some really good ideas for all kinds of situations.

We also have a tool to turn off the water and one to turn off the gas.  A neighbor has one that that combines the two.  Whatever you get, be sure to get it/them in all metal.  Plastic breaks too easily.  Also, most municipal fire, police, and water departments will sometimes come out and turn things off if you aren't able to so so yourself.  

A box of nitrile gloves, large yard waste trash bags, a roll of heavy duty plastic,  waterproof tape, AND CHOCOLATE also are good to have.  

Here is the Red Cross list of items for emergency kits:

At a minimum, you should have the basic supplies listed below:

1. Water: one gallon per person, per day (3-day supply for evacuation, 2-week supply for home)
  2. Food: non-perishable, easy-to-prepare items (3-day supply for evacuation, 2-week supply for home)
  3. Flashlight 
  4. Battery-powered or hand-crank radio (NOAA Weather Radio, if possible)
  5. Extra batteries (Similar item available in the Red Cross Store)
  6. Deluxe family first aid kit
  7. Medications (7-day supply) and medical items
  8. Multi-purpose tool
  9. Sanitation and personal hygiene items
  10. Copies of personal documents (medication list and pertinent medical information, proof of address, deed/lease to home, passports, birth certificates, insurance policies)
  11. Cell phone with chargers (Similar item available in the Red Cross Store)
  12. Family and emergency contact information
  13. Extra cash
  14. Emergency blanket
  15. Map(s) of the area

Consider the needs of all family members and add supplies to your kit:

• Medical supplies (hearing aids with extra batteries, glasses, contact lenses, syringes, etc)
  • Baby supplies (bottles, formula, baby food, diapers)
  • Games and activities for children
  • Pet supplies (collar, leash, ID, food, carrier, bowl)
  • Two-way radios
  • Extra set of car keys and house keys
  • Manual can opener

Additional supplies to keep at home or in your survival kit based on the types of disasters common to your area:

• Whistle
  • N95 or surgical masks
  • Matches
  • Rain gear
  • Towels
  • Work gloves
  • Tools/supplies for securing your home
  • Extra clothing, hat and sturdy shoes
  • Plastic sheeting
  • Duct tape
  • Scissors
  • Household liquid bleach
  • Entertainment items
  • Blankets or sleeping bags
Respected Contributor

Hello Kitchen@ttes, @Writer with Flair @mustang66lady @RespectLife @momtochloe @VaBelle35 @ChiliPepper 

It is HOT

animated-hot-image-0038

• Frozen Irish Coffee From the Latest issue of Garden and Gun
    • 2 oz. Irish whiskey

• 2 oz. coffee liqueur

• ½ cup vanilla ice cream

• 2 cups ice cubes

• 4 oz. rich chilled coffee

Preparation

• Put all ingredients in a blender and run until the mixture is the consistency of a thin milkshake. Serve in a rocks glass (or a footed Irish coffee glass for show). Garnish with a dusting of coffee grounds.

Respected Contributor

Re: Quick Pot Sticker Soup

[ Edited ]

@tiny 2 wrote:

Hello Kitchen@ttes, @Writer with Flair @mustang66lady @RespectLife @momtochloe @VaBelle35 @ChiliPepper 

It is HOT

animated-hot-image-0038

• Frozen Irish Coffee From the Latest issue of Garden and Gun
    • 2 oz. Irish whiskey

• 2 oz. coffee liqueur

• ½ cup vanilla ice cream

• 2 cups ice cubes

• 4 oz. rich chilled coffee

Preparation

• Put all ingredients in a blender and run until the mixture is the consistency of a thin milkshake. Serve in a rocks glass (or a footed Irish coffee glass for show). Garnish with a dusting of coffee grounds.

Thanks, tiny2.  That picture looks cool and refreshing. 

If anyone wants to do a more low carb thing, Killer Creamery makes a low carb vanilla ice cream ("Chilla in Vanilla") with only 2 Net Carbs.  (Stores in the Safeway chain carry it here.)

Killer Creamery Keto Frozen Dessert Vanilla Bean 1 Pint - 473 Ml

For anyone out there who wants to lower carbs and/or avoid alcohol, DaVinci makes a Sugar-Free, Non-alcoholic Coffee Liqueur Syrup.

There also is a Ritual (brand) Whiskey Alternative that is zero proof, 2 gm carbs, and ten calories for 1.5 ounces.

Ritual Whiskey Alternative Alcohol Free   Spirit Alternative  Non Alcoholic Spirits

"Where there's a will, there's a way."   George Herbert

Respected Contributor

@Writer with Flair, Thank you. I have heard the Chilla in vanilla is delicious but I can't find it here. It was listed on google that is was @Harris Teeter but when I went to the store grocery list it wasn't there. The other 2 suggestions look great also. I will hunt for them here also.It would be nice to have a no guilt version of this plus save my liver also.

Respected Contributor

@tiny 2 wrote:

@Writer with Flair, Thank you. I have heard the Chilla in vanilla is delicious but I can't find it here. It was listed on google that is was @Harris Teeter but when I went to the store grocery list it wasn't there. The other 2 suggestions look great also. I will hunt for them here also.It would be nice to have a no guilt version of this plus save my liver also.

tiny2,

The Whole Foods Chain carries the Enlightened, Halo, and Mammoth Creamery brands which have some low carb flavors.  Hope that helps.

Esteemed Contributor

Oh ladies, I have missed you all.  I'm not up to posting like I used to but try to read the boards from time to time.  

Hope all are safe and well.  We have had a fairly wet summer so far.  Not really a good one to get out and enjoy the weather or the new "reopeness" of our country.  DH and I still have not eaten out in a restaurant together although he has taken a customer or two out and I have been out once with my bunko moms.  I don't believe any of my family is taking a vacation.  Well one DD did go with her family to visit her SO's brother in FL for a week.  We do gather as a family from time to time since we all are vaccinated.  Most are still working from home.  

Well it is Christmas in July!  Anyone excited about this?   I can't force myself to get into it yet although I did order a live wreath from Valerie Parr Hill for my husband's brother and SIL.  They live in Maryland and we don't often get to see them.  Other than that, no other presents have been purchased.  Or even worried about.  How about you all?  

Well it is late and i need to get to bed.  Pray you all are healthy and well.  Even if I am not present on the boards, you all are in my prayers.  Heart