Respected Contributor

Re: Quick Pot Sticker Soup

[ Edited ]

@RespectLife wrote:

Good morning!

I have been reading the Texas Sheet Cake thread.  Great ideas and a Peanut Butter version was posted.

Have only made chocolate before.

There is a white recipe posted as well that does Not use shortening.

I posted I had a white recipe, but I was leery of shortening.

I haven't bought Crisco since the 80's I think!  LOL

Anyone ever make a cake or frosting using shortening?  I just don't think I would want to 'eat' it.  Frying in it is one thing, althought I do not fry.

But it would be raw in a frosting....I am use to butter cake/frosting recipes.

Any thoughts?

Respect,

When I was growing up, I remember relatives and a certain local bakery making the most delicious white cakes with white frosting.  The cakes were particularly moist and dense.  I later found out that it was LARD in both the cake and the frosting that was the "secret" ingredient.  

I seem to remember that you could buy a gigantic brick of lard at the grocery store back in the day.  (I don't remember it smelling like bacon or anything like that.)  All this information is in a lard-like mist in the remote reaches of my highly saturated fat memories.

Armour Lard - Shop Butter & Margarine at H-E-B

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@mustang66lady wrote:

@Writer with Flair 

I remember my mother telling me that her mother used to let the girls pick a dress from the Sears catalog for Christmas.  Then my grandmother would proceed to perfectly reproduce that dress for her daughters.  They only got one or two new dresses a year since that Grandmother had 13 children.   I can't even imagine looking at a dress and have the ability to remake it at home without a pattern.  Even with a pattern I can't imagine remaking it.  My maternal Grandmother was a force to contend with.  She also made suits for the boys in the family from just looking at the photos in the catelog.  

Wow, Mustang!  Your Grandmother was a truly one AMAZING seamstress!  Making dresses AND suits just from looking at the pictures in a catalog.  That truly is a GIFT!

I once met a woman in a fabric store.  She recently had retired from being a pattern maker for a woman's sportswear company.  Somehow, she could just look at a designer's drawing and make patterns for the pieces of the garment.  I wish that I had thought to get her contact information.  It would have been great to get her to make some patterns for me.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RespectLife wrote:

We are in for a steamer weekend they say...hope they are not lying because I want to get in the pool!

@Writer with Flair   @tiny 2 

Now where is my special K Team Bathing Cap??

Right here, Milady.

The Curiosity Chronicles — Curious About...Synchronized Swimming.

Honored Contributor

@Writer with Flair 

Oh yes and lard is supposed to make the best pie crusts also!

I just don't think I can get on board with lard!  LOL

My family doesn't care for buttercream...too rich.  So I tried a butter/shortening mixture for the frosting but I could taste it and thought it was weird.

Respected Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

@Writer with Flair 

Oh yes and lard is supposed to make the best pie crusts also!

I just don't think I can get on board with lard!  LOL

My family doesn't care for buttercream...too rich.  So I tried a butter/shortening mixture for the frosting but I could taste it and thought it was weird.

Respect,

I know what you mean.  A lard-based cake or icing seems pretty heavy.  I had also heard that thing about the best pie crusts being made with lard.

So, what do you use to frost cakes?

Honored Contributor

I use a stable Whipped Cream recipe from lifelovesugar.com

It pipes, it decorates, it never breaks down!

I will share it....

Honored Contributor

CHOCOLATE WHIPPED CREAM FROSTING

LIFE, LOVE SUGAR

CHOCOLATE WHIPPED CREAM FROSTING

• 2 1/2 cups  heavy whipping cream, cold
  • 3/4 cup  powdered sugar  *I use more
  • 1/2 cup  natural unsweetened cocoa
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract  *I use almond extract

Make the whipped cream by adding all the ingredients to a large mixer bowl and whipping on high speed until stiff peaks form.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh hey, I just found this recipe for Chocolate Buttercream on King Arthur but it uses heavy cream.  I am going to give it a try!  I'm thinking the heavy cream would make it much more palatable than just butter or butter and shortening with milk

CHOCOLATE BUTTERCREAM FROSTING

Ingredients
  • 1 3/4 cups  unsweetened cocoa, Dutch-process or natural
  • 1 1/2 cups  confectioners' sugar
  • 1 teaspoon espresso powder, optional, for enhanced chocolate flavor
  • 1 cup  heavy cream, at room temperature
  • 16 tablespoons  unsalted butter, softened
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Instructions

1. Sift or sieve the cocoa, 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar and espresso powder, if you're using it, into a bowl.
  2. Bring the cream to a simmer on the stove or in the microwave, and whisk into the cocoa mixture.
  3. At first the mixture will look grainy; continue whisking for a minute.
  4. You'll see the lumps disappear as the sugar dissolves and the cocoa hydrates. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
  1. Place the butter, salt, and 2 cups sifted or sieved confectioners' sugar in a large mixing bowl.

2. Beat until the mixture is smooth and fluffy. Beat in the vanilla.

3. With the mixer running on low speed, add the cocoa mixture a spoonful at a time until it's all incorporated. Scrape the bowl, then beat at medium speed for one minute more. Use to frost cake as needed.

4. Yield: 4 1/2 cups, enough to frost 2 dozen cupcakes, or fill/frost an 8" or 9" layer cake.

Tips from our Bakers
  • To make the frosting stiffer, add 1 more cup of sifted confectioners' sugar.
  • Never frost a warm cake: the frosting will sink in, or the cake will tear.
  • Chilling or freezing cakes or layers for 30 to 45 minutes before frosting will make the job go much easier. See our online class cake decorating class for pointers.

Respected Contributor

Respect,

Thanks for sharing both of those recipes.  I appreciate it.

Honored Contributor

"Let us eat cake!!  WITH Frosting!!"

@Writer with Flair 

How is your weather down there?  We are pretty humid, I would imagine you might be too?

I hope @tiny 2 is having perfect weather in the mountains!