Respected Contributor

Re: Quick Pot Sticker Soup

[ Edited ]

@RespectLife wrote:

@tiny 2 

Here is the Lemon Chix Orzo Soup recipe...it is from Carlsbadcravings    she does have storing info listed as well if you are interested.  I was afraid to share the link......................

Thanks, Respect!  Mr. Writer LOVES Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup.

Several years ago there was a restaurant in our area that was owned by a man whose father was Greek and his mother was Itallian.  He made the best Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup.  He retired and moved out of the country before I ever was able to get his recipe.  Now, thanks to you, I have the recipe.

Honored Contributor

I have had several days of being unable to post.  Everytime I put my password in, it shot me back to the home page!

@Writer with Flair 

I hope you enjoy it...it is a fairly easy version of  Avgolemono Soup!

Which every one just shortens to Lemon Orzo Soup cuz that is one silly Greek word to spell!

My first BIL was Greek.  His aunt in NH made the best I have ever had.  I have many versions...but none are as good as hers!

This is an easy one...some recipes I have require more steps.

I always cheat and use Wegman's Chicken Stock (sorry you can't get it)

It is lower in sodium than Reduced Sodium College Inn or Swanson.

The stock has a richer flavor than the broth.  I hate picking boiled chix bodies apart!

Ewww...gets under my nails!

Respected Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

I have had several days of being unable to post.  Everytime I put my password in, it shot me back to the home page!

@Writer with Flair 

Which every one just shortens to Lemon Orzo Soup cuz that is one silly Greek word to spell!

My first BIL was Greek.  His aunt in NH made the best I have ever had.  I have many versions...but none are as good as hers!

The stock has a richer flavor than the broth.  I hate picking boiled chix bodies apart!

Respect,

How I wish we had Wegman's in our area!  I have heard nothing but wonderful things about their stores and especially their store brands.  They are legendary!

I usually use Imagine brand low-sodium chicken broth.  It reminds me a lot of the stock my other used to make from the chicken carcus she boiled whenever she made chicken and dumplings.  It is better than the Pacific or Swanson brand--which a lot of stores carry here.  I don't care for either of those other brands.  They taste like flavored water.

Esteemed Contributor

No Wegman's here in The Lou area either.  I have noticed when many of the chefs/cooks on the FoodNetwork don't use their own brand of stock, College Inn seems to be the stock of choice.  I have never checked the sodium content but it sure is a very rich looking stock compared to most others and is a tad more pricey.  I usually make bone stock from the carcass of a rotisserie chicken when we get one from SAM's.  I freeze it in quart containers but always keep a box or two of stock on the shelf should the desire to make something requiring less than a quart of stock hits me.  It I am not up to making that stock when I have the carcass, I put it and the drippings in a freezer ziplock and mark it so if my supply runs low, I can make more.  

@Writer with Flair - do you have Albertson's in your area?  I'm not recommending anything but for the month I lived in Phoenix, it seemed to be the premo store to shop.  Just wondering if their brand of stock was good or not.  I never did get the chance to wander thru one of their stores.  When I "went to town", I was too busy trying to remember how to get back home!   I usually did my shopping at Wally then, and went to a Frye's once.  Then we moved back here.  

Esteemed Contributor

@tiny 2 

Just wanted to check in to see how you are feeling?  Are you still in the mountains?  Hope your ankles are feeling much better and OUCH!  Those injections can be painful!  Going thru those, you should automatically be granted a pass to feeling better!  

Esteemed Contributor

@VaBelle35 

I do hope you had a great birthday.  I know many had problems logging on and were not able to post as usual that day.  I got a little jump on things as I was up late and my youngest DD's birthday was the same day.  So I had lots of BD wishes to send.  

How is things going for you?  I don't get here as much as I would like and am trying to change that.  A lot of things still going on here and many times, I'm just exhausted but that is no excuse for not being a friend.  I'm sorry.  What did you end up doing special for yourself for your birthday?  

Esteemed Contributor

@Writer with Flair 

I read that your area is looking at really bad weather this week at some point.  Will keep you and Mr. Writer in prayers for safety and deliverance for TX in and all states in general.  If and when bad storms hit, please keep us in the loop to you and Mr. Writer's safety!  Heart 

Honored Contributor

Good morning Kitchenettes, happy Try Not to Set the Balcony on Fire Tuesday my friends (yes I am getting my grill on today.  It's going to be 86 and I am pretty sure that is the law) . . . Smiley Very Happy

Hope that everyone is doing well and feeling good.  Sending prayers to @Writer with Flair  and her husband that the storms steer clear of their area and prayers for good health to our friend @tiny 2  . . . Heart

Oh, and I'm trying to grow green onions by plopping the root ends in water and after glowering at them for a week or so they are really starting to take off!  Again, it will take me the entire summer to grow enough to equal a portion you buy in the store but I was pleasantly shocked I didn't do what I normally do to any plant life and that's kill it immediately . . . Smiley Wink

Have a good day my friends and be safe! Heart

Honored Contributor

Just an fyi for @Writer with Flair  or anyone looking for broth suggestions, if you use smaller quantities (say a cup or two at a time) I cann't reccomend the following enough:

Savory Choice:  These are individual broth packets that are little tubes of liquid that dissolve instantly in hot water.  They come in beef, chicken and veggie and the flavor is delicious!  Not sure about the sodium (but I believe it may be a tad high) but they have taken all of the angst out of my trying to make a proper/tasty broth out of Better than Bouillon.  Trader Joe's used to sell these exact packets and then for some reason dropped them from their line (much wailing ensued but they didn't bring them back).  I buy mine from Amazon.

Lono Life:  These are actually bone broth, so they are much richer and also very delicious.  They are individual powder packets that also dissolve instantly.  You can buy them at Amazon but I was lucky enough to turn on QVC when they had a OTO and purchased them here.  Again, a delicious product.

Again, these are not cost effective if you are making normal size portions but if you are making smaller recipes I would highly recommend both of them.

Honored Contributor

@Writer with Flair wrote:

@RespectLife wrote:

@Writer with Flair 

Respect,

How I wish we had Wegman's in our area!  I have heard nothing but wonderful things about their stores and especially their store brands.  They are legendary!

I usually use Imagine brand low-sodium chicken broth.  It reminds me a lot of the stock my other used to make from the chicken carcus she boiled whenever she made chicken and dumplings.  It is better than the Pacific or Swanson brand--which a lot of stores carry here.  I don't care for either of those other brands.  They taste like flavored water.

@Writer with Flair 

I have never seen Pacific.

Swanson and College Inn are the 2 brands most common around here.  I agree, flavored water.

Aldi's carrys broths and stocks, but the sodium is SO high in the ones they carry.

Even the low sodium is WAY higher than Weg Stock which don't even claim to be low sodium...but are!

I don't know how the Aldi's flavor compares.

Honestly, I am so pleased w/ Weg I do not buy or try anything else anymore.

I always have 4 chicken, 2 beef and 2 Veggie Wegs stocks in my pantry at all times.

They come in a nice size carton...32 oz for only $1.99!