Respected Contributor

Re: Quick Pot Sticker Soup

[ Edited ]

@RespectLife 

Fresh herbs are too hard for me  to keep around before they spoil, and I sure ain't gonna grow them at this stage of my life.

The dried Italian seasoning is a favorite on olive-oil-brushed zucchini, yellow squash, carrots and potatoes before oven-roasting them.

Dried rosemary all by itself is a favorite on many things, too.  So is tarragon.

Honored Contributor

@novamc1 

I grow fresh basil in the house all year long.  Weg always has the plants, so when it gets lanky and skanky looking...I just buy a new one.  Couple bucks.

In the summer, I grow peppermint.

Otherwise, it is dried for me.

Tarragon I just discovered a couple years ago and I LOVE it!

Are you saying you dry brine your veggies etc too....or just before roasting?

Honored Contributor

How about that!  We were talking about dry rub.....and in the April Recipe Game...

@JeanLouiseFinch   posted a nice one!   Thank you!

Here is the link to take you to the page on the recipe game...

https://community.qvc.com/t5/Recipes/APRIL-2021-RECIPE-GAME/m-p/6868562#M148340

Respected Contributor

Re: Quick Pot Sticker Soup

[ Edited ]

@RespectLife 

No, I don't dry-brine vegetables.  Those are most often oven-roasted here these days, tossed with olive oil (mixed with a little butter sometimes) and  dry herbs top before roasting.  I do them on the same sheet pan with the meat, if I can, because--- I AM LAZY/

Sorry if I wasn't clear before.  Dry brines (and rubs) are used for proteins at our house, well in advance of roasting or grilling. 

The salt in the dry brine, over many hours, supposedly makes beef, pork, chicken more tender and juicy, and it seems to work for me.  I read about that technique from barbecue grilling experts many years ago. 

I think this method is why my son makes a such a superb prime rib roast in his Green Egg when we are invited to dinner.

Respected Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

Good morning Kitchenettes, happy Marvelous Monday my friends . . . Heart

Been very quiet here, nothing new to report.  Waiting for my Jewel grocery delivery today and since I can't quite remember what I did order (except fingers crossed they send those yummy Pepperidge Farm frozen rolls, I love taking one out and tossing it in the air fryer) but I am always grateful for what is in stock.  I dry brined an enormous chicen breast overnight and popped it into the oven just now.  If you've never tried dry brining, I highly recommend it.  Chicken breasts come out so juicy and the skin is so crispy, yum!

Hope everyone is doing well and feeling good.  @tiny2, I hope you are hanging in there as I believe you should have/will have a treatment coming up and what a delightful surprise to see our friend @IamMrsG  this morning!  So good to see you, I think of you often and fondly my friend . . . Heart

Have a great week everybody! Heart

@momtochloe, Hi! I just had my IV yesterday. I had a lovely time in the mountains except for flooding the kitchen and laundry room with a washing machine incident. One of my cats alerted me with very wide concerned eyes.  That look usually happens when there is a bear on the deck so I thought I should check. Oh my what a mess.

I was unable to get down to the basement where the wet vac was so I was using towels and mops to try to stop it. Fortunately my brother and sister in law arrived after having a nice lunch and visiting friends and retrieved the wet vac for me and saved my wood floors.

I stayed over extra because it was going to snow and I could not stand to miss it. When the temperature had warmed up I stayed more to enjoy that. LOL  I was in so much pain with my feet and ankles that I could not get out much. Next Monday they are going to inject both ankles so I will have my stability back, hopefully.

Welcome to @IamMrsG. I just made the Pork Tenderloin with Parmesan Wine Crust. It was great for the three of us. Thank you for that one and the many other great pork tenderloin recipes you have posted over the years.

Honored Contributor

I agree @novamc1  I know for me that dry brining does make a difference.  The only thing I do different is that the show I was watching said to not cover it overnight in the fridge so the air can really get in there and do its job.  I just can't believe the difference in those chicen breasts, I no longer fear cooking them! Smiley Very Happy

And gosh I hear you about growing my own herbs but I was watching another show and they were growing green onions from the bulb so I decided to give it a try as it didn't involve dirty or bugs and I was pleasantly shocked that there is a teeny, tiny sprout starting to come up.  I should have a full grown green onion by the end of summer . . . Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

Hi @tiny 2 , good to hear from you my friend!  I am glad you had a lovely and bonus snowy time up at your cabin and that your fur patrol was on duty when your washer decided to spontaneously wash your floors (boo).  I am glad your brother and SIL were there to help with the clean up on aisle 3 and put things back together.  

I know this is going to be a couple of tough days for you while the IV works it's way through your system.  In order to get you back on your feet so to speak, are those cortisone shots that you will be getting?  I guess the good news for now is that your COVID vaccine is in your rearview mirror and hopefully your treatments will come together and give you some well deserved relief.

Nothing much going on around here.  It's still cool and today overcast.  I made a lemon chicken orzo soup yesterday that @RespectLife  gave me which was delicious but because math isn't my strong suit, I put waaaaay too much orzo in there and I now have a yummy lemon chicken orzo pasta dish . . . c est la vie!

@Writer with Flair  and @IamMrsG hope you are doing well and feeling fine . . . have a wonderful Thankful Thursday everyone! . . . Heart

Respected Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

Hi @tiny 2 , good to hear from you my friend!  I am glad you had a lovely and bonus snowy time up at your cabin and that your fur patrol was on duty when your washer decided to spontaneously wash your floors (boo).  I am glad your brother and SIL were there to help with the clean up on aisle 3 and put things back together.  

I know this is going to be a couple of tough days for you while the IV works it's way through your system.  In order to get you back on your feet so to speak, are those cortisone shots that you will be getting?  I guess the good news for now is that your COVID vaccine is in your rearview mirror and hopefully your treatments will come together and give you some well deserved relief.

Nothing much going on around here.  It's still cool and today overcast.  I made a lemon chicken orzo soup yesterday that @RespectLife  gave me which was delicious but because math isn't my strong suit, I put waaaaay too much orzo in there and I now have a yummy lemon chicken orzo pasta dish . . . c est la vie!

@Writer with Flair  and @IamMrsG hope you are doing well and feeling fine . . . have a wonderful Thankful Thursday everyone! . . . Heart

@momtochloe 

Wow, The chicken orzo soup sounds delicious and so does the pasta leftover. I will do a search for it.

It will be a steroid they inject and I will feel crazy good for a few days all over from the systemic effect and I do not plan to let it go to waste.LOLWoman LOL

Speaking of Thankful Thursday, I have been going through so much stuff getting ready to downsize and move to the mountain place. Over the years anytime I came upon something inspirational I would cut it out and it would spend some time on the refrigerator or bulletin board and eventually make it to a folder. I came across the folder yesterday so I will share this from Mr. Goethe.

“Nine requisites for contented living:

Health enough to make work a pleasure.
Wealth enough to support your needs.
Strength to battle with difficulties and overcome them.
Grace enough to confess your sins and forsake them.
Patience enough to toil until some good is accomplished.
Charity enough to see some good in your neighbor.
Love enough to move you to be useful and helpful to others.
Faith enough to make real the things of God.
Hope enough to remove all anxious fears concerning the future.”

And let us add a 10th-- Thanks Oh God for that which we are about to receive--whatever it is!

Respected Contributor

Tiny 2,

I am so glad that you finally were able to get up to your mountain house for some R&R.  Other than "The Great Flood of Spring '21", it  sounds like a lovely change of pace.

We're doing some research on some properties on which to possibly build a new house.  We plan to go look at some of them on Saturday.  

We think we have found a plan that we like.  It is a passive solor design to which we may add solar panels.  It was designed to have a basement but we hope to nix the basement and add a small tornado shelter off the Master bedroom (in an area of an extended closet and a space where an elevator shaft would have been if we had built the basement).  Since we live in Tornado Alley, it seems like a prudent thing to do.

The house is built so we can have handicap access, wider doors, etc. in the event we ever need it.  We learned the hard way that this is a good idea (after my mother broke her hip) and we had to navigate through too small spaces until her hip healed.

We've been doing some remedial landscaping in our present yard where we have lost some shrubs and taken out others that had gotten too big over the years.  We have some other things that need to be done that we were going to do ourselves, but have decided to pay someone else to do it.

Housing prices have sky-rocketed in our area, so it is a really good time to sell.  The area in which we are looking is very reasonably priced compared to this area, so it all may come together in a very good way.

I am just beginning to do some reasearch on xeriscaping the new yard so it will be extremely low maintenance.  We also are thinking of adding some raised beds for vegetables and a few fruit trees.

The potential house plan is not all that big but suits our needs to a tee.

Honored Contributor

Good morning Kitchenettes, happy Fabulous Friday my friends . . . Heart

@tiny 2  oh gosh I have never heard of steroid injections (I don't think so anyway) but God bless they are able to help plus throw in a couple of really great days!  Smiley Wink  It must be overwhelming on many levels going through your house to prepare for your move.  Do you have a target date or maybe just a target season?  And thank you for the reminder of the nine requisites for contented living. I'm going to keep it handy in case next time I start looking around for my crabby pants as goodness knows I have nothing to complain about!  Oy vey.  Smiley Embarassed

@Writer with Flair  thank you for posting about your next home planning!  Such great, forward thinking ideas plus I have to go look up your planned landscaping as that sounds so interesting.  I remember back when I was looking for a place to live and I saw the helper bars in my shower . . . SOLD!  Are you and Mr. Writer planning on staying in your home state or moving somewhere else?

Another thing I am thankful for today is grocery delivery as Meijer had a free delivery special.  I love their grocery selection so I had a great time unpacking everything.  Next steps are to try out something called . . . grits?  Just kidding, it seems like every time I turn around they are on the Food Network so I had to take the plunge.  Looking forward to breakfast tomorrow . . . Smiley Very Happy

Hope everyone has a happy and safe day my friends and a great start to your weekends . . . Heart