Respected Contributor

@mustang66lady, I am so glad to hear your husband is doing well. Do not give him any of those recipes with heavy cream and tons of butter ok.(like the one I posted awhile back) Just shut your eyes!!!!

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@ChiliPepper 

@VaBelle35 

Don't forget, Project Runway premiers tonight on Bravo . . . yay!

@momtochloe 

It does???

Dang, I didn't realize that!

PR Allstars was on last night - on Lifetime I believe.

Respected Contributor

@ChiliPepper @mustang66lady @momtochloe @novamc1 @VaBelle35 Here is one posted by Beach-mom in that casserole thread. Very nice!!!

Esteemed Contributor
beach-mom

Re: Casserole's Always A Crowd Pleaser...

This is one my family requests all of the time.  Someone called it "Irish Lasagne"!

From Sunday Casseroles by Betty Rosbottom:

Corned Beef and Cabbage with Country Mustard Sauce

Country Mustard Sauce

2 Tbsp. unsalted butter

2 Tbsp. all purpose flour

2 c. half and half

1/4 c. coarse-grain Dijon mustard

2 tsp. caraway seeds, toasted and crushed

1/4 tsp. kosher salt

1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper

Freshly ground black pepper

2-1/2 c. Gruyere cheese, grated

Corned Beef and Cabbage

1 med. head green cabbage

4 Tbsp. unsalted butter

12 oz. small red-skin potatoes (1-1/2 to 2" diameter), scrubbed but not peeled

12 oz. corned beef, thinly sliced and cut into strips 3-5" long and 1/2" wide

Kosher salt

1/2 c. Gruyere cheese, grated

2 Tbsp. fresh dill, chopped

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Generously butter 9 X 13" baking dish.

2. Sauce: Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly for about 1-1/2 to 2 min. Gradually whisk in the half and half, stirring constantly until mixture is smooth and starts to simmer. Stir in mustard, caraway seeds, salt, cayenne, and several grinds of black pepper. Then gradually whisk in the Gruyere. Remove from heat and set aside.

3. Quarter and core the cabbage. Cut the quarters crosswise into 1/2" strips to equal 10 cups. (You may have some cabbage left over. Save for another use.)

4. Melt the butter in a large frying pan over medium heat. When hot, add half the cabbage and cook, stirring, until it starts to wilt; then add the rest of the cabbage. Cook, stirring often until the cabbage has softened and is starting to brown lightly, about 10 minutes. Remove to large mixing bowl.

5. Bring a large saucepan of water to boil over high heat. Add potatoes and cook until tender when pierced, about 12-15 minutes. Drain. When cool enough to handle, cut into 1/4" slices. Add to the mixing bowl holding the cabbage, then add the corned beef strips. Add the sauce and toss to combine. Season with salt if needed.

6. Spread the cabbage mixture evenly in the baking dish. Sprinkle with the Gruyere. (The casserole can be prepared up to this point 4 hours ahead; cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature 30 min. to an hour before baking.)

7. Bake uncovered until the casserole is hot and the cheese has melted, about 20-25 min. Remove from oven and cool for 15 min. Sprinkle with the dill before serving.

Esteemed Contributor

@tiny 2 

A year ago, one of the doctors I used to work with had to talk me off the ledge.   I was scared to death to cook anything!  Both DH and I have high lipids genetically.  I was on Lipitor and the only thing it did was make my hair fall out-by the handfulls daily!   Good thing I had a thick, curly wild Irish head full of hair.  On Crestor now with much better results for us both.  DH has lost 30 plus pounds and exercises for at least an hour a day, coaches our Grandson's basketball team and assist. coaches his football and flag football teams.  He has always exercised but heart disease runs in his family.  Strange but early in our dating, he told me he knew he would die of a heart attack.   And his "tell" symptom was not one I had ever heard of-his elbows hurt!  Kept him up-he couldn't sleep.  No chest pain, no SOB, no pressure, no shoulder or arm pain, no indigestion, just severe elbow pain that did not radiate.

Honored Contributor

@tiny 2 wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

Sigh.  I already broke my promise to myself about not overloading the newly cleaned out fridge as I took out both a piece of chicken and a piece of pork.

This is why i can't have nice things . . . Smiley Sad

@momtochloe LOLLOLLOL!!! I think you are ok.

Ok, for those playing our game the winner was . . . a hot dog I found in the freezer!

Seriously, there is just zero hope for me.

Respected Contributor

@mustang66lady, Yes, I have heard of the elbow only pain. There are a few others that are not so common. My husband always exercised every single day. He has always been very cautious with his diet and yet he has had some terrible issues. He had to have heart surgery after years of doing the right thing and now thisWoman Sad.

Respected Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@tiny 2 wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

Sigh.  I already broke my promise to myself about not overloading the newly cleaned out fridge as I took out both a piece of chicken and a piece of pork.

Ok, for those playing our game the winner was . . . a hot dog I found in the freezer!

@momtochloe Woman LOLWoman LOLWoman LOL You are making me dribble. Don't ask if you don't know LOL.

Honored Contributor

@tiny 2 wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

@tiny 2 wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

@momtochloe Woman LOLWoman LOLWoman LOL You are making me dribble. Don't ask if you don't know LOL.

@tiny 2  oh I'm pretty sure I know what you are talking about and I have a whole cabinet full of "preventative measures" that will vouch for me . . . Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Re: Quick Pot Sticker Soup

[ Edited ]

@tiny 2  oh I'm pretty sure I know what you are talking about and I have a whole cabinet full of "preventative measures" that will vouch for me . . . Smiley Happy

@momtochloe Do tell, anything actually work??????Woman Embarassed This must be fixed!!!!!!

Honored Contributor

@ChiliPepper wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

@ChiliPepper 

@VaBelle35 

Don't forget, Project Runway premiers tonight on Bravo . . . yay!

@momtochloe 

It does???

Dang, I didn't realize that!

PR Allstars was on last night - on Lifetime I believe.

Ugh, I keep forgetting about All Stars @ChiliPepper !  Bravo has been running parts of the last four seasons that they had PR to kick off tonight's season.  Top Chef finale is also tonight but I stopped watching that a while ago and only recognize one person in the finale . . . Smiley Sad