Honored Contributor

I was just reading the thread on Impossible Pies.

Never heard of them.  I don't think I have ever in my life bought a box of bisquick.  Always made biscuits from total scratch.

Have you guys ever made them?

Do they taste eggy like a quiche?  They look eggy in the pictures.

I was interested in the pumpkin one though....I have some pumpkin to use up but it only calls for 1/2 cup of bisquick.  What am I gonna do w/ the rest of that big box!??

Honored Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

Rug update:

Pros:  perfect color

fabulous seam (still haven't found it)

soft to walk on

seems like excellent quality

Cons:

It is one of those dang rugs that shows every single footprint, dog print and vac mark.

Result:  I HATE IT! 

It will drive me nuts...but I am stuck with it...so move on!  that is what happens when you have a 2" X 2" square sample to choose from!!  Oh well!

@RespectLife

I hope in time you will become blind to it.  (Or win the lottery so you can buy something else).

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

Never heard of them.  I don't think I have ever in my life bought a box of bisquick.  Always made biscuits from total scratch.

I was interested in the pumpkin one though....I have some pumpkin to use up but it only calls for 1/2 cup of bisquick.  What am I gonna do w/ the rest of that big box!??

@RespectLife

You can make your own Bisquick.  Here is a recipe.  You can cut it into 1/4 of the recipe and it will give you a little more than the cup you need.

YIELD: 7 cups 

INGREDIENTS

6 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons baking powder
1 tablespoon salt
1 cup vegetable shortening

DIRECTIONS

Sift flour, baking powder and salt three times into a large bowl.
Cut in shortening with a pastry blender until mixture resembles fine crumbs.

Store mixture in airtight container in the refrigerator up to 4 months.
Use whenever your recipe calls for "Bisquick mix".

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@RespectLife  You can also find the smallest box of biscuit mix you can find.  It's really just biscuit mix.

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@RespectLife you made me laugh about checking for that seam.  Kudos to these installers and I am sorry you are not happy with the is it called nap of the rug but it's new and glaring right now and I'm sure in a week or so the footprints won't be as noticeable.

Respected Contributor

Re: Quick Pot Sticker Soup

[ Edited ]

@RespectLife

You've probably already done this, but if you haven't........

Do an internet search for Bisquick recipes........you will find so many that you can't read them all.  The  array of "impossible" recipes is amazing and some look awfully good.

A couple of years ago, I was reminded of the many foods my Mom made with Bisquick when I was growing up, and bought a big box of the mix.  Never opened it and wound up throwing it out.  BUT am thinking of buying and trying one again.

Have been going through a very old, very thick and crudely written cookbook from an organization of women in Tennessee and see several recipes using Bisquick that I'd like to try.

Bisquick isn't a real healthful food to eat, but if you want to try new things, there are plenty of ways to incorporate Bisquick into a meal or snack food

Honored Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

@RespectLife wrote:

Rug update:

Pros:  perfect color

fabulous seam (still haven't found it)

soft to walk on

seems like excellent quality

Cons:

It is one of those dang rugs that shows every single footprint, dog print and vac mark.

Result:  I HATE IT! 

It will drive me nuts...but I am stuck with it...so move on!  that is what happens when you have a 2" X 2" square sample to choose from!!  Oh well!

@RespectLife

I hope in time you will become blind to it.  (Or win the lottery so you can buy something else).

LOL @VaBelle35

Can I pick option #2, please?

Honored Contributor

thanks @VaBelle35  and @novamc1

I guess I always thought it was 'fake' stuff and therefore 'bad' for you.

Have you ever eaten an impossible pie? 

It looks like a quiche to me....which is really low on my list of things I like to eat...in fact, nope, just checked.  Not even ON the list!  LOL  Quiche, Fritattas, Strattas, NO TaTa's!  tee hee

I'm not big on eggy dishes but love eggs.  Weirdo!

My mom never bought it that I know of.  Once those bisquits popped outta those tubes...she wasn't about to roll and cut nuttin!

I guess I can make @VaBelle35 homemade recipe in a smaller quantity to try the pumpkin one.  The recipe is silly simple.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RespectLife

Maybe you and your Mom were too young to notice when Bisquick was a kitchen staple for every home.  My mom never used any refrigerated biscuits---maybe these weren't even invented back then.  LOL!

No, Bisquick foods do not taste particularly "eggy".  As you can see from the substitute version that VaBelle posted, it's just like using any other flour-based recipe.  It's easier and sometimes performs better, through, due to not having to measure out baking powder/soda and because (I think)  it contains the equivalent of Crisco or other not-good-for-you shortening, which is great for cooking,  if not your arteries.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RespectLife wrote:

@RespectLife

I have made them before but not the pumpkin one that I recall.

They're ok, it's a quick, easy meal.

I used to eat "Hamburger Helper" way back when so I can eat anything LOL!!!

You are used to those yummy, homemade biscuits so you may not be thrilled with the results.