Contributor

Re: Quick Bread Recipe Three Ways

I started using Avocado Oil recently and thought I would list it as an option. It is healthier than Vegetable Oil and I find it does not come out as heavy of a loaf...

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!!!

I have lurked on these boards (used to have a hard time with email and password working. )This was my first post and I can see from certain people's attitudes why people don't come back and comment on these boards... Nothing says welcome like being berated on my first and probably last post... And no, I am not thin-skinned... I just figured some people had more class.. This is the recipe section for pete's sake and not the Community Chat.

One Day At A Time....
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Dom23 

I hope the comments that bothered you will not prevent you from participating in this forum in the future.

For me, a recipe is a blueprint or guide to cooking, especially when I have a concern about a particular ingredient being used.  I try to watch my salt intake so I will omit it, reduce the amount or make substitutions to a recipe, according to MY taste preference.  I similarly adjust for sweetness, spicy things like cayenne pepper/jalopeno/scotch bonnet/habernera peppers, canned creama soups, etc.  I don't just discard a recipe because, as written, it appears too sweet /salty fatty FOR ME when an adjustment can be easily made,

I intemd to make your quick bread recipe using a can of butternut squash pureee first and another time with applesauce.  Thank yoy for sharing it and I Iook forward to more sharing from you!  I find this to be a very informative and helpful culinary site.

And, welcome!!!!

Contributor

Thank you VA breeze that’s exactly what I do. I use a recipe as a guide or a template and my dad being diabetic. I used to tailor the recipes for him. This is one of my favorite recipes of all time and I make it at least once a week I hope you enjoy with the butternut squash when I make it with pumpkin it’s really good especially with the pumpkin pie spices, so I really hope that you enjoy my only comment to you Is with this purée make sure it’s not too wet cause of course and you may need to add more flour to compensate and spices as well. Have a wonderful day. Happy Thanksgiving.
One Day At A Time....
Frequent Contributor

@Dom23 

Thanks for sharing your recipe!  It sounds tasty and adaptable to many different ingredients (I might add some flax seed).  

I expect you don't eat the whole loaf at one sitting, thereby avoiding dropping dead from sugar.  Smiley Wink

Please keep posting favorite recipes.  Awhile ago someone posted a recipe for sheet pan fajitas and now it's one of our favorites.  

Respected Contributor

@Dom23 wrote:

About the sugar. I use unsweetened applesauce and We including my diabetic father ate it for breakfast not as dessert. Also, I customized my personal recipe to about 1/2 to 3/4 cup of sugar for 3 mini loaves which I normally make. You will not die of the sugar intake as long as you are moving and not sitting stationary all day... I tried to post a nice recipe for the Holidays, apparently some people's hearts are three sizes too small. SMH...Smiley Sad

Thank you for posting. Sounds good to me, and I am going to make it. Enjoy your holiday and know that you going through the trouble of posting the recipe is appreciated, so don't you fret...OKAY?

Contributor

No I make 3 smaller loaves. Two I keep and One I give away either to friends or family. It is not sweet to me anyway... I also cut back To ( 2/3 cup roughly) but this is a basic recipe that I have used many times with great success... 

I was really hoping that since there are a lot of grandparents and moms/dads who visit this board that they could make this recipe with their children or grands since no equipment is involved. The children could not hurt themselves making it and could create a fun memory as a family unit...

I guess people are too selfish to think about others and how they might be able to turn this into a memorable time especially during the holidays...

One Day At A Time....
Valued Contributor

Thank you Dom23 for the recipe and welcome to the recipe forum
I hope you have a happy Thanksgiving
Trusted Contributor

@Dom23 thanks for sharing!  Nothing beats an easy baked good recipe!  I like to make something like this, slice it and pop in the freezer.  Then if I can pull out a slice when I want Smiley Happy

Seriously folks, if you don't have anything nice to say, why bother replying?  If you think the recipe isn't for you, just move on.

Esteemed Contributor

@Dom23 

Thanks for sharing your recipe. I make pumpkin loaf all year long because we all love it. No one faint, but the recipe I use calls for 1 and half cups of sugar and 1 and half cups of pumpkin puree and additional dried fruit, like raisins. It's delicious. And sometimes, no one swoon, I top my pumpkin loaf bread with cream cheese frosting. Egads....more sugar, and more fat!

I also use the same basic recipe for banana bread, datenut bread, marionberry bread....etc etc.

Not every recipe is for every person, but I like reading other people's recipes because I love food and hope to get new ideas on what to make. 

Hope you have a nice Thanksgiving. 

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

@Knit-Chick wrote:

@Dom23 thanks for sharing!  Nothing beats an easy baked good recipe!  I like to make something like this, slice it and pop in the freezer.  Then if I can pull out a slice when I want Smiley Happy

Seriously folks, if you don't have anything nice to say, why bother replying?  If you think the recipe isn't for you, just move on.

Some of us are trying to be helpful and some of us think we are being mean and hateful. You just can't win in the former.