Respected Contributor

Question on a Baked Ziti Recipe

I was going through my recipes and found one that I had made and enjoyed but am wondering if when I wrote it that I left an egg out of the recipe.  I would think that it needs something to hold it all together but not so sure now.  I looked at several web sites and most call for an egg or more than one.  Not sure if I should add an egg or not.  I would love your opinions on what I should do.  What I loved about this recipe is that it is so nice and easy but also very good.  I also remember that I sometimes added ground Italian sausage or ground beef or both.

BAKED ZITI

1 lb. box of ziti

1 small container of ricotta cheese

1 small mozzarella

Grated cheese

Classico Roasted Tomato Sauce with Garlic or roasted garlic

Cook pasta till al dente

Shred mozzarella

Warm tomato sauce

Place cooked ziti in a large bowl and add ricotta cheese and warmed sauce to the bowl and stir.

Next add the mozzarella cheese and stir.

Add the grated cheese and stir until everything is mixed.  

Spray a baking or roasting pan with Pam and add everything.  Bake in oven until warm….approx. 30 minutes at 350 degrees. 

Super Contributor

Re: Question on a Baked Ziti Recipe

@luvsbulldogs wrote:

I was going through my recipes and found one that I had made and enjoyed but am wondering if when I wrote it that I left an egg out of the recipe.  I would think that it needs something to hold it all together but not so sure now.  I looked at several web sites and most call for an egg or more than one.  Not sure if I should add an egg or not.  I would love your opinions on what I should do.  What I loved about this recipe is that it is so nice and easy but also very good.  I also remember that I sometimes added ground Italian sausage or ground beef or both.

BAKED ZITI

1 lb. box of ziti

1 small container of ricotta cheese

1 small mozzarella

Grated cheese

Classico Roasted Tomato Sauce with Garlic or roasted garlic

Cook pasta till al dente

Shred mozzarella

Warm tomato sauce

Place cooked ziti in a large bowl and add ricotta cheese and warmed sauce to the bowl and stir.

Next add the mozzarella cheese and stir.

Add the grated cheese and stir until everything is mixed.  

Spray a baking or roasting pan with Pam and add everything.  Bake in oven until warm….approx. 30 minutes at 350 degrees. 

I always add two eggs to the ricotta cheese, it makes the ricotta cheese nice and full. HTH

Honored Contributor

When I make it, the mozzarella kind of holds it together.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

I've made it often and never added eggs.

Trusted Contributor

@luvsbulldogs wrote:

@luvsbulldogs, I always add an egg, about 1/4 cup of grated parmesan cheese and some parsley flakes to the ricotta. 

Respected Contributor

I always use eggs in the ricotta, but then I don't buy the ricotta in the dairy case, get the fresh from the deli, let it drain for a few hours, then add, s & p, eggs, parsley, mozzarella, romano. etc, no recipe, made a bunch of stuffed shells yesterday for the Holiday.

For the baked I just dollop it in with the pasta, then cover with sauce.

Honored Contributor

I'm allergic to egg whites, so anytime I can leave eggs out of something I'm going to eat, I do.   I do not add eggs to any baked pasta dish.   

Respected Contributor

Thank you everyone for your replies.  I am thinking I just might add an egg to the Ricotta.  If it seems too firm then the next time that I make it I will omit the egg.