Honored Contributor

Re: Question for those who use bread machines

Be sure that your ingredients are not out dated.

Take your loaf out of the breadmaker as soon as its done.  Remove it from the breadbasket immediately.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@MezzieStarr used bread machine yeast this weekend and my loaves came out perfect!  Thank you for the suggestion!

Trusted Contributor

@JudyL Yea!  So glad it worked out for you 😀

Respected Contributor

As another mentioned, it is recommended you keep your yeast and salt separate until it is incorporated with the rest.  The salt kills the yeast as salt does with so many other things.  Once mixed the other ingredients keeps most of it separate, so it is safe and the water dilutes the salt.

Paul Hollywood is a baker and TV chef/judge/baker in England.  He is a judge on "The Great Brittish Bake Off".  You can find episodes on Netflix and YouTube and your public broadcasting channel/online streaming.  They do bake UK/European treats, but it is some good advice from home bakers, plus the judges, and it is just wonderful seeing other countries' foods. Plus their reality TV/competetions are real, not staged or producer drama induced. You will see when you watch.

Good to know that the bread machine yeast did the trick.  If you don't find bread machine yeast, you can you instant yeast.

Honored Contributor

If you follow the directions that come with the bread maker the bread should turn out like it does on TV. I went through 3 bread machines before I started to make bread without the machine. It's easy and rarely does the bread not turn out.

Honored Contributor

All of my baked goods are 100% better with no fails since I stared to weigh my ingredients instead of measuring them.

Use a scale that has grams instead of measuring spoons and cups.  The difference is amazing.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

All of my baked goods are 100% better with no fails since I stared to weigh my ingredients instead of measuring them.

Use a scale that has grams instead of measuring spoons and cups.  The difference is amazing.

@Carmie 

I really need to do that. I have a really good scale. I know when you measure flour it's not accurate. I have loosely spooned it in to a measuring cup plus just filled the measuring cup without using the spoon. It's a different amount of flour. When I spooned 3 cups it did not show 3 cups in the measuring cup.

I will do that next time I make some rolls.

Trusted Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I was actually thinking something like this, too...

If you don't have a scale though, then you--meaning "anyone"--have to make sure that your measurements are as exact as possible.

Make sure that you're using a dry measuring cup for your dry ingredients.

Level off your ingredients in your measuring cup with a flat knife when you're done filling the cup, so that the amount measured is as exact as it can be.

When you're measuring liquids, use a liquid measuring cup, and set the cup on a flat surface and let the liquid settle after you fill the cup to get the most accurate measurement.

When filling your measuring spoons, level them off as well, especially when measuring your dry yeast if using bread machine yeast from a jar.

As already mentioned, you want to follow any recipe that you use for your machine, as exactly as it's printed.

All of your ingredients need to be at room temperature, including your yeast, and they should be fresh, checking the expiration date on your yeast. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Way back, I bought one of the first bread machines QVC sold and it didn't produce a loaf - instead you got a coffee can shape with a big hole in the bottom. Have those gadgets improved since 1995?