Honored Contributor

Question about mixing drinks in 50s movies

[ Edited ]

My son is watching a Noir movie from the 50s. He asked me why whenever an alcoholic beverage is prepared, a squirt of seltzer is added. He wanted to know why. I don't have a clue.

As a kid I remember most of our neighbors had a case of those seltzer bottles. They were delivered and kept in their garage. Sometimes we would squirt the bottles because they were there and they seemed like fun. It did not taste good to us. So after awhile we never bothered with the bottles.

I have no idea what the use of a shot of seltzer could be to a drink. Add fizz? 

Honored Contributor

Re: Question about mixing drinks in 50s movies

@drizzellla   I have no idea either, my guess would just to add fizz...sometimes I add sparkling fizzy water to wine - I am a cheap drunk - 1 glass of wine and I'm either under or on top of the table so I cut it with fizzy water.

Esteemed Contributor

You can get drunk faster.

Carbonated alcohol drinks are absorbed into your system more quickly. 

Honored Contributor

just to add some fizz and oomph......

usually, for example, when anyone makes a fruit CRUSH, they put in 7up or sierra mist, but you can also just use some club soda to lighten up the drink.

my daughter likes vodka and sodas with a splash of cranberry juice. club soda = seltzer water.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

Wasn't there a popular drink back then called a "gin fizz?"  Maybe that was the drink of the times, and it made good camera action.

Honored Contributor

@On It wrote:

Wasn't there a popular drink back then called a "gin fizz?"  Maybe that was the drink of the times, and it made good camera action.

@On It 

i used to drink SLOE GIN FIZZES when i first began drinking. they are good......and yes, they have "fizzy water" in them.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

My son is watching a Noir movie from the 50s. He asked me why whenever an alcoholic beverage is prepared, a squirt of seltzer is added. He wanted to know why. I don't have a clue.

As a kid I remember most of our neighbors had a case of those seltzer bottles. They were delivered and kept in their garage. Sometimes we would squirt the bottles because they were there and they seemed like fun. It did not taste good to us. So after awhile we never bothered with the bottles.

I have no idea what the use of a shot of seltzer could be to a drink. Add fizz? 

@drizzellla Because today we would add something from a can or a bottle--which wasn't so easy to get back in the day, and because it was easy and inexpensive to make the stuff for bars and home use.   And it was sophisticated--which most people today don't understnad--and grown up. 

Honored Contributor

For the burping contest?

Honored Contributor

@On It wrote:

@On It 

I remember hearing "gin fizz" as a child!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Anytime someone mentions the 1950s and cocktails of that era, or the Mad Men TV series, I'm reminded that my parents and their group of friends lived that lifestyle, though all were very serious in their day jobs.

But when they decided to have a cocktail party, THEY HAD A COCKTAIL PARTY.  

Cocktail shakers, martini and hi-ball glassware and everything else that went with a decent party back then.

I get amused just thinking about those parties,  which  Sis and I watched  in the background while liberally sneaking the appetizers.

When the Texas family who lived across the street from us (devout Methodists) held their cocktail parties, their daughter and I used to sneak in and steal some appetizers, too.

Those adults didn't party with my parents, but the parties in both houses were basically the same back in the good ole 1950s.