Honored Contributor

Question about equipment and recipe for a gelatin crab meat salad

[ Edited ]

Years ago (I am old), I used to make gelatin salads.  I used molds for this purpose.  I had some Tupperware molds, as I recall and I had some copper molds (which I thought were for decoration and never used).  Now all I have are the copper molds.  I have given away, thrown away or whatever the Tupperware molds.

I have decided to make for a high-profile luncheon, a crab aspic salad (I think that is what we called it).  It has been a long time so I need help with the device I am using.

I have a great recipe.  Found it on Never Enough Thyme (or something like that and it sounds like Mom's) but it just says to place in a mold (and the author preferred a seafood mold, which I have in copper).  

Question is:  Do you grease the copper mold or do you spray it with Pam?  I know that is probably different from Tupperware, especially before Pam.  Suppose also, that it does not want to come out easily?  Can I run a knife around the edge or should I poke air into it with wooden skewers.

I have made flan in the recent past but the molds were not as complicated nor as deep.

Anyone who has molded using copper molds for gelatin salads, please help.  Thank you in advance.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Question about equipment and recipe for a gelatin crab meat salad

My mom used to make a seafood salad in a fish mold. She dipped it in hot water briefly then turned it over.  Easy

Honored Contributor

Re: Question about equipment and recipe for a gelatin crab meat salad

@debcakeswrote:

My mom used to make a seafood salad in a fish mold. She dipped it in hot water briefly then turned it over.  Easy

Thank you  Now that you say that, I do recall doing that.  Thank you so much!!