Respected Contributor

Question: Attn: PORK LOVERS - re: Recipes

[ Edited ]

Does anyone else cook their pork with sugar?

I recently started cooking my pork with sugar and (I) seem to be getting a little thick around the waste.

I'm wondering if seasoning with sugar is a "bad" thing ...?

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

Re: Question: Attn: PORK LOVERS - re: Recipes

I rarely cook pork with any sugar, but maybe it enhances the flavor and makes us eat more???  I think that for me, personally, too much sugar, fat, or salt will lead me to eat more.  The same with processed foods, certain additives will kind of trigger my appetite.

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Respected Contributor

@RinaRina  I was thinking just the more simplistic answer... Not necessarily that the sugar makes you want to eat more, but just the fact that sugar in itself contributes to added calories.  

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Honored Contributor

It has nothing to do with the actual pork, per se, but yes, sugar is bad for you in many ways.  Sugar combined with protein is an unhealthy combination. Dr. Berg has good info on this (YouTube). There are numerous names that manufacturers use to sneak sugar into their products, even when labeled as sugar free. 

Honored Contributor

I guess you could put sugar in anything but why?  You're just enhancing your own taste for sweetness and that's not a good thing, especially if children are involved. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Sugar in pork?  Why on earth would you do that?  I never heard of that before.  

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Sugar is an ingredient in dry rubs.  Maybe that’s what she means?  Or if she’s cooking in barbecue sauce, that’s another possibility.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

Sugar is an ingredient in dry rubs.  Maybe that’s what she means?  Or if she’s cooking in barbecue sauce, that’s another possibility.  

================================================

I don't even know why anyone would ask such a question.

Pork recipes with sugar are all over the internet.

Anyone can google it.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Esteemed Contributor

I do with ham (brown sugar) but nothing else.  However, if I make pulled pork with a pork shoulder roast, my BBQ sauce does have brown sugar in it.  

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

@RinaRina wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

================================================

I don't even know why anyone would ask such a question.

Pork recipes with sugar are all over the internet.

Anyone can google it.

Keep in mind, @RinaRina, just because there are a bazillion recipes out there, that doesn’t mean it’s healthy.