Honored Contributor

Re: QVC vs. Costco potstickers

I love Trader Joe's potstickers.  I cook them in the microwave with a wet paper towel over them like the directions suggest.  I use soy sauce with them.

QVC's are good but are so much more expensive.  I prefer TJ's.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

I've only ever had Trader Joes potstickers.  I like them.  I do the pan fry til the bottom has a little colour then add some water, cover, and simmer for a few minutes.  Take off the lid and allow the water to evaporate and crisp up the bottom a bit.  I like them plain but a little soy sauce is tasty too.   I Always have a bag or two of TJ potstickers in the freezer.

Respected Contributor

Thanks for all the interesting opinions, advice and new ideas, folks!

I personally think trying new Asian-type dishes is fun, and husband likes spicy food, as a general rule.  (He's older than I am, and I think his taste buds have become dull, so now he complains when food tastes too bland.  LOL!!)

The potsticker question was always on my mind before, so thanks for giving your input.

Honored Contributor

Something I think I'll have to try when we get our Trader Joes.  Not sure when that will be, but it was announced that they would be building one in the neighboring town, about a 20 min. drive.  It will be somewhere I will have to plan to  go to as it's not really on my regular route to much of anywhre since I generally prefer the back routes.

Esteemed Contributor

Costco had a brand a few yrs ago that were tasty

Respected Contributor

I bought some at the grocery store for under $15.00 (a big bag with sauces included) and they were pretty good, although cooking perfectly takes a little practice.  

I pour some water and oil in a frying pan and slightly brown them.

I know folks have had some shipping issues on QVC and I did not want to risk it, especially since they are not the cheapest purchase.

Respected Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

Never have tried potstickers from any source, but have been tempted, both by QVC and Costco when either one puts them on sale.  David is always a convincing promoter when he features the current QVC offering in his shows.

Those of you who have tried these, what do you think of a particular potsticker brand,  and which  method do you choose to prepare them?

I've only used QVC vegetable  potstickers. I buy Swanson chicken broth in the box, throw in 4 or 5 pot stickers and cook till done. Easy ,fast, and very good. I live alone so don't use the whole box of broth.

Trusted Contributor

I prefer the chicken cilantro mini wontons at Costco, or the pork potstickers from Schwans, or the gyoza from Trader Joe, to the QVC ones, and all of them are about half the price per serving (not the number of pieces but the comparable amount of protein). Yes, I did the math. Yes, that's pretty nerdy of me. Smiley Wink

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

We buy Trader Joes brand and Ling Ling grocery store brand.

Honored Contributor

I first heard about Trader Joe's gyoza (same as pot stickers) from here a while ago.

So I got the vegetable ones and now If I could have just one thing thruout the day it would be these!

I put 2 on a microwave plate and heat for 1 minute and 55 seconds and they come out crispy on the outside and soft on the in.

The only downside is I can't seem to do without them! I'm lucky my daughter still goes to Trader Joes. She feels it is one of the safest to go to and goes around dinner time when not many are there.

Never go on a Friday or Sat!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"