Respected Contributor

Re: Purchased a boneless leg of lamb for Easter. Which sides to you like with lamb.

On 3/27/2015 adoreqvc said:

Typical Greek Feast and so good.

Waving hello to all my Greek pals!

Oven roasted Greek lemon potatoes go excellent with Leg of Lamb either oven roasted, or on a split. If prepared as oven roasted Lamb, just ensure you are sure to have plenty of the gravy left to moisten all the food when it is served.

We also serve a Villager's Greek Salad with loads of Greek Feta Cheese, tomatoes, diced onions, cucumbers, Greek Kalamata Olives, and if you like them also add some anchovies.

Lastly for a vegetable it is either Asparagus Spears in a lemon butter sauce, or Sauteed Spinach with garlic.

BTW I posted my Greek Easter Menu on the Kitchen Talk forum an dope others will also post theirs.

Happy Easter everyone!

Exactly! Baby spring lamb is always on the menu in this Sicilian household. The only difference from adore's menu is we do not make Greek salad.

We do make spinach paddies and asparagus. We make quartered russet potatoes with oregano, garlic and lemon. The spinach paddies are made with an egg binder, grated parmesan cheese, grated onion, a few breadcrumbs and S&P with a hint of nutmeg. You must squeeze all the moisture out of the spinach. Then you sautee them in olive oil

This is all accompanied by some form of pasta, maybe penna or bowties with red sauce made with pork neck bones.

Honored Contributor

Re: Purchased a boneless leg of lamb for Easter. Which sides to you like with lamb.

We always do lamb outside on the grill ( my husband does a rub with garlic, rosemary and olive oil) and I'll make a rice pilaf, horiatiki salad and tzatziki with some grilled vegetables, whatever's in season. What I really want are some meat dolmas with tomato sauce on top.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Trusted Contributor

Sheep meat is concidered lamb untile it is one year old,then it is mutton. So lamb is not exactly a little baby animal.
Super Contributor

I usually do a huge pan of oven roasted root veggies (parsnips, sweet potatoes, brussel sprouts, baby golden beets, shallots, carrots) coated with an olive oil/ balsamic vinegar/molasses/garlic mixture with some fresh rosemary tossed in. My family loves grilled garlic baguettes with this combo.

Esteemed Contributor

and always........MINT JELLY!

Esteemed Contributor

How do you get gravy when you grill the lamb? My son has a rotisserie. Would that be OK?

Respected Contributor

Since lamb can be greasy, I suggest a nice salad and asparagus or roasted potatoes with herbs and garlic. Some veggies to clean the pallet would be good. Creamed spinach would be good as well or roasted brussel sprouts.

Valued Contributor

Love it! All your descriptions of a menu sound wonderful. My mother cooked lamb quite a bit and always with fresh green peas as a side. And mint jelly! Had it in Ireland as well as in Greece, and both were delicious.

It's hard to find -- and expensive -- here in the Midwest. How are your prices? sometimes it's worth it, though, so that wouldn't deter me.

Honored Contributor

Gotta go Greek, baby!!!
Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Honored Contributor

Sweet potatoes. Peel, cut into large chunks, par-boil 10 minutes. Transfer to pan, add butter and brown sugar and continue cooking until done. Yummy with lamb. Add a nice tossed green salad and serve with favorite dressing. Mint jelly adds a nice touch to your lamb.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~