Honored Contributor

Re: Pumpkin Puree vs Canned Pumpkin

I got the 100% pumpkin -- not the pie filling.  Thanks to all who responded. 

Honored Contributor

IMO, purée made from real pumpkins at home is a million times better than canned pumpkin.

There is a big difference.  First, it tastes better and the home made version is not as thick. Canned pumpkin which is a commercially prepared pumpkin purée has a tinny taste.  My DH will absolutely will not eat canned pumpkin. He can taste the difference immediately.

They are used the same way in recipes.  There is also a pumpkin pie filling which already has spices in it.

Honored Contributor

As long as only ingredient is pumpkin, I'm in.

Honored Contributor

BTW, I've found that, in the last several years, one must purchase enough pumpkin to last a year because it seems like they run out and there is no more new until the next fall.

I use a bunch because I put a spoonful of pumpkin in the dog's breakfast each morning, so a 15oz can lasts about 2wks.   Plus, what I use for the bird and then if I end up making pumpkin pie or a bread or cake. 

He just brought me 20 more cans so I'm set for the year (I have one in use plus 5 more on hand).  Smiley Happy    

One time he accidentally got me cans of the 'pumpkin pie mix' because I neglected to be more specific.  You definitely wouldn't want that, so you made the right choice.

Honored Contributor

@rms1954 wrote:

Is there a difference????  I've searched our grocery store for puree pumpkin and all I could find is the canned pumpkin for pie (Libby's).  I want it to make David's Pumpkin Chili.  I'm not an expert baker/cook, but I can cook.  I can't recall any recipes that call for pumpkin puree. 

The title of your thread doesn't describe your question.  

Pumpkin Puree and Canned Pumpkin are the same thing - also called Solid Pack Pumpkin. This the base of a pumpkin pie from scratch.  Evaporated milk, sugar, eggs, and spices need to be added before pouring into the pie shell.

Any/all of the above are NOT the same as canned Pumpkin PIE FILLING.  The canned pie filling has sugar and spices already added to it so you only add the evaporated milk and eggs before pouring into the pie shell.

Honored Contributor

Heard that in realty, canned pumpkin is really not all pumpkin but a mixture of various squashes, pumpkin itself  is too stringy. Think it was from a blog I subscribe too. Pumpkin puree and canned pumpkin are the same---I found some canned sweet potatoe puree that I bought and will try.

Respected Contributor

I agree with what many said. DO NOT use the can that has a label that specifically says it's for "Pumpkin PIE."

Buy the can with a label that just says "CANNED PUMPKIN."

Respected Contributor

I've always used canned squash/pumpkin for everything.  I like to add my own spices and sweetener so NO Pie filling for me.  If you're someone who doesn't keep spices or large amounts of sweeteners at home a pie filling might be a good choice otherwise go for the Plain pumpkin.  I always use One Pie squash.  Squash pie seems to be a New England thing.  I find squash to be a more mellow flavor but is also doesn't have that bright orange colour.  That is more toned down too. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Trader Joe's sells a great organic canned pumpkin but I think (like many things) they only have it seasonally but now would be the right season to get it!