Trusted Contributor

Re: Pumpkin Muffins, Two Ingredients

Thanks for posting...when it comes to baking/cooking, I need easy!!

Trusted Contributor

@Foolywooly11 wrote:

Thanks for posting...when it comes to baking/cooking, I need easy!!

The older I get, I also like more simplified recipes, too.

I am going to try this, too.

I have some yellow cake mix on hand, and I also have some canned pumpkin, too. Smiley Happy

I am always looking for ways to make a recipe a little healthier, no matter how it's done--by cutting the fat, dairy, etc. 

Honored Contributor

I made these this morning in cupcake pans.  I used a spice cake mix.

They are good...plain.  I am not a fan of lots of frosting, so for me they are just right.

Next time I might add nuts, or raisins..a guarantee that my DH will not eat them, ha!  I ate two with a cup of coffee....wonder how many calories there are in each one, ugh....I will have to freeze otherwise they will be gone.

@IamMrsG  thanks for the recipe.

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs   You're very welcome, thank you for letting me know you like them.  We're in agreement about no need for icing, but possible additions of raisins and/or nuts.  BTW, I've found their flavor improves overnight.  

My first batch yielded 18 muffins, but my DIL got 22 from hers. I checked the nutritional panels on a box of Duncan Hines Spice Cake Mix and a can of Libby 100% pure pumpkin.  The 15.25 ounce dry cake mix serves 10, and at those 10 servings per box, comes in at 170 calories, with 34g carbs., 18g of which are added sugar The pumpkin is 50 calories per 1/2 cup serving (3 1/2 servings per can) with 10g carbs (5g are from sugar), but daily values of 12% fiber and 250% Vitamin A.  

Now understand I am not a math whiz.  But, I calculated this way:

Cake Mix

170 calories * 10 servings = 1700 calories per dry box.  Those 1700 calories divided by my yield of 18 comes out at 94 calories each.  

Pumpkin

50 calories * 3 1/2 servings  =  175 calories per can

175 calories / 18 muffins = 10 calories per.

94 + 10 = 104 calories per (plain) muffin

Does anybody see errors in my thinking?  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG ...I got 16 from my batch....I do prefer them to be a bit smaller so next time I will use less batter.

Thanks for the calorie computation!  I'm gonna go with your numbers cause I am for sure NOT a math whiz.  Will limit myself to 1 muffin next time...again thanks!!

Esteemed Contributor

@Mom2Dogs 

And, that's exactly why I have not made them yet.  I have no one to give them to at the moment, so I don't want to risk having them sitting around Cat LOL

Even if I "hide" them, at some point, I would be digging them out.

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman   I totally understand!!  But I will ration them...they are heading to the freezer.  I like 'something' with coffee in the morning or after dinner.

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@IamMrsG 

It's a good thing I don't have a cake mix in the house, or these would be in the oven.

I've been using canned pumpkin with cheesecake flavored sugar free pudding and a 1 and 1/2 cups of almond milk and it's delcious.

However, having a nice warm muffin would be even better.  Cat LOL

Will give them a try this weekend and then give most of them away!

Thanks!

@Witchy Woman @I noticed you mentioned sugar free pudding, so I wonder if you are a WW member or a diabetic. If you count points (WW), some members have suggested using sugar free cake mix (Pillsbury I think) brings the points per muffin down.

Honored Contributor

I saw this thread yesterday and just a minute ago put the two ingredients on grocery store list for the weekend.  I always put things like this in my freezer to take to my son and his family the next time we get together.  (saves on thighs and backside increasing)  I do think I will do the brown sugar/butter on top on my first batch.  Cake mix for cookies and now muffins what a great baking life!!

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2 

I am not diabetic, but both of my parents were.  I try very hard to limit my intake of both sugar, and sugar free products.  Sugar free pudding is one my indulgences now and then.

In the past, I was a WW member....a thousand years agoCat LOL

Now, I just try to be vigilent about my diet.  I'm going to keep an eye out for the sugar free cake mixes and check them out.

Thanks!