Respected Contributor

@Renata22 We live in a small town, one red light, one grocery store.  We were joking the other day that the goose who lays golden eggs must be our current supplier as egg prices now require a small loan to purchase.  With the holidays around the corner, watch out!

Valued Contributor

Re: Price of Eggs

[ Edited ]

Our 1 and only supermarket had/has large  ones on"sale"

2 doz. for $5.. for 2 weeks! They never have them..Rainchecks don't make breakfast!..Will try again tomorrow.

Valued Contributor

When I was in Aldi's the other day lg. eggs 2.09 

Respected Contributor

Yes!! The price of eggs is insane.   I prefer free ranged, because I raised my own chickens and there's nothing that comes close.  My chickens eggs had a deep golden orange, tasty yolk...not the pale yellow we buy in the store.  Even some of the store bought free ranged are pale, which tells me the hens are not getting enough fresh green pasture, bugs, etc.   I live in an agriculture area and the people here who raise chickens have also spiked up prices due to the price increase in feed.

Also, there always seems to be a shortage in the stores...sometimes they have, sometimes they're out...idk why. Maybe shipments...??

I've seen prices over $8 plus for carton of 18.

I can buy in my development for $6...when they have. 

Hurricane Ian upset the hens laying cycle also, here in Florida.    That's a problem I've never had with my own...we built very water tight, secure coops, hens were always comfortable.   I sure miss having them.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

Plain old large white eggs are $3.38 a dozen. That is high for this area.  Before the pandemic they were less than $1.

Last week I bought 4 dozen for $1.77 each.  Actually, it wasn't quite a dozen.  The cartons were marked down because only 11 eggs were in the box.

I don't buy free range or a fancy name brand.

The price of butter is off of the charts right now.  I read there will probably be a shortage.

@Carmie 

got four pounds of butter last week from sams club..... $13.68

got kerrygold blocks....24 ounces total.....$10.88

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45   I bought 4 lbs at Costco...I think they were $14 and change.  I am stocking up for holiday baking.  I bought vanilla too..wow, prices are high.

Respected Contributor

Today I got a carton of 18 Egglands Best for 3.99!!  Now that is a good deal.  I never buy that brand because they always cost more and truly I do not taste a difference.

Honored Contributor

Our egg shelves have been bare for weeks guess people are stocking up even if prices are rising.

I'm going to try again to find tomorrow as we love eggs and will pay the inflated prices.

Esteemed Contributor

Me, too!  For what they provide, they are still a bargain in my book.

Honored Contributor

I buy pasture raised eggs at Aldi. Honestly, I didn't pay any attention when I shopped earlier this week, but I think the time before that they were just under $5.00/dozen, maybe $4.85.