Honored Contributor

Powdered Milk Key to Better Baking (Epicurious)

Hi recipe ladies!

I ran into this article from Epicurious about using powdered milk in baked goods "that makes better cookies, brownies and cakes" and found it pretty interesting, since a lot of us are in 'baking mode', LOL!

It's a lengthy article, so I posted a link which covers cookies, brownies, cakes, breads, etc. and how it effects their taste, texture, etc.

I have used powdered buttermilk in recipes, but never added powdered milk to recipes, but I'll try it now.

Milk Powder Is the Key to Better Cookies, Brownies, and Cakes (msn.com)

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Re: Powdered Milk Key to Better Baking (Epicurious)

It's an interesting concept.

Honored Contributor

I have a couple bread machines cookbooks that suggest using a tablespoon of dry milk with the other ingredients. And I can tell a difference--flavor seems a little fuller to me. Never thought about adding to other baked goods tho.

Valued Contributor

Many of the recipes that I use for baking bread uses powdered milk. You will find that several break recipes on the King Arthur Baking website also refers to this a dry milk. It does make a difference. 

Respected Contributor

And FINALLY there's lactose-free powdered milk. On Amazon.

Valued Contributor

@KingstonsMom - Powdered milk is used in a lot of bread machine recipes, but I'm not sure what it does.  I think it adds to the texture.   

Honored Contributor

Thank you for the interesting article. My favorite cinnamon raisin bread recipe calls for milk powder - I've never been sure why that is, but the bread turns out great.

~ house cat ~
Occasional Contributor

Hi.  If you have the time, could you please post your cinnamon raisin bread recipe?  Thanks so much!

Esteemed Contributor

Bought the powdered milk today, @KingstonsMom ! I'll be trying it out on brownies and my next batch of chocolate chip cookies.

Thanks for article, since I had never heard of this before!

Esteemed Contributor

I've never had a cookie texture like this before!. It is different, but in a good way. If you like crispy, or chewy-crispy.... and the cookies didn't spread as much.

I cannot detect any difference in taste, just the texture.

I'm making a lemon pudding cake for Christmas dessert, so I'll add the milk powder to the cream cheese filling. (Milk is already in the pudding.) According to the article, the chef claims: It can make ice creams milkier, denser, silkier.