Esteemed Contributor

Powdered Egg Whites for use in Omelets

Any recommendations for a powered egg white to be used for scrambling or omelets?

I know you can buy them in liquid form, but if anyone has experience with a dry product, I'd appreciate it.

Not the whole egg, just the white. 

Thanks.

Honored Contributor

Re: Powdered Egg Whites for use in Omelets

Why not use the real thing? I get XL eggs for $1.50/doz.  Cheap protein source. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

Why not use the real thing? I get XL eggs for $1.50/doz.  Cheap protein source. 

@Kachina624   That's awfully cheap.  I have to pay about $3.99 for a dozen XL eggs.  Sometime $2.50 or $2.99 on sale.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 

Yes, I love eggs and eat them often.  I buy Nellie's for their Humane handling and they are normally over $4, which doesn't really bother me.

However, I'm trying to lower my cholesterol.

It's discouraging since I don't eat red meat or pork, and rarely, chicken.  No bad fats, snack foods and I exercise.

But, the doctor flagged it as a minor issue (for the moment).  I'll see her in 6 months and want to work on lowering my numbers.  Eliminating my daily egg is at the top of the list.

After looking at some of the dry products, I found a version of liquid whites at Target that I might try.

Honored Contributor

@KatieB    Walmart.  Every week.  Grocery pick-up. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I do not see why not, add milk or warm water and whisk.

I believe a hand mixer would be beneficial to get volume to make your omelet fluffy.

Powdered products are shelf happy, they stay a long time especially when you probably don't want to toss the yokes on a fresh egg or look at the expiration dates on an egg white carton.

Just remember, if you haven't used only egg whites in an omelet, this will be extreme for you, I would possibly start by using 2 eggs and eliminating 1 yoke, 2 whites and work it down from there.  I do this a lot, tossing yokes when making an omelet.  I like fluffy omelets and believe getting rid of a couple yokes lightens it up.