Super Contributor

This is not a good recipe for a large crowd because it takes time for each potato. I wouldn't fix it for a gathering of more than six. It is nevertheless well worth the effort, another one of those tasty and a little different kind of potato dish. I notice more and more of the TV celebrity cooks are doing variations on this theme. Jacques Pepin is the first I saw using this technique. Nice holiday dish.

Michael Chiarello’s Potatoes "Da Delfina"

1 1/2 lb, about 16, small "creamer" potatoes, preferably Yukon gold *
Peanut oil
Sea salt, preferably gray salt, and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 c chopped fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley
2 t grated lemon zest
1/4 c extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 c chopped garlic

Put the potatoes in a large pot of cold, well salted water to cover. Bring to a boil and cook until a knife slips in easily, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain the potatoes. Place on a cookie sheet and refrigerate until cool.

When they are cool enough to handle, hold 1 between your hands as if you were clapping and press gently with the heel of 1 hand. You want to smash the potato to about a 1/2-inch thickness while keeping it in 1 piece. The skin will split, but the potato should not fall apart. Repeat with the remaining potatoes. You can prepare the potatoes to this point several hours ahead.

Pour 1/2-inch of peanut oil in the large skillet and heat over moderately high heat.

Combine the parsley, garlic, and lemon zest in a serving bowl and set aside.

When the oil begins to smoke, carefully put the smashed potatoes in the oil and cook on both sides until crisp and well browned, 8 to 10 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels to drain. Season with salt and pepper.

Heat the olive oil in a small skillet over moderately high heat. Add the garlic and sauté until lightly browned. With a slotted spoon, transfer the garlic to the bowl with the parsley-lemon mixture.

When the potatoes are ready, add them to the garlic mixture and toss gently. Serve immediately. Save the leftover garlic oil and use it to dress a salad or vegetables the following day.

Definitely use the Yukon golds. Other potatoes are too dry and crumble.