Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

My mom had a potato salad recipe in which she cooked the potatoes and then marinated them in french dressing.  And left them overnight in frig...before mixing up the salad.   She passed away several years ago.  I have never been able to locate her recipe.  I believe it was one of those recipes she just knew how to make.  Does anyone have a similar recipe....thanks so much

Honored Contributor

I saved this recipe from an old issue of Family Circle magazine.  I've never made it:

2 1/2 lbs red potatoes, peeled and cubed

8 hard-boiled eggs, diced

1 bunch green onions, chopped

8 oz French salad dressing 

3/4 cup mayonnaise

1/2 cup Miracle Whip

2 tbsp sugar

1 tbsp yellow mustard

1 1/2 tbsp milk

Boil potatoes and place in big bowl.  Stir in French dressing and let sit overnight.  

Stir in eggs and green onions.

In separate bowl, mix rest of ingredients.  Gently mix into bowl of potatoes.  

Honored Contributor

my Mother used to let the warm potatoes sit in wine vinegar then added mayo, red onion and capers

it's very good 

Honored Contributor

@jackthebear That's how I make mine.  I use only a few tablespoons of mayo and mustard.

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

@jackthebear That's how I make mine.  I use only a few tablespoons of mayo and mustard.

more mayo and no mustard

Esteemed Contributor

Never had it w/ the French dressing.

Just wanted to say that my sister makes the best potatoe salad (we all think) from DM.

-- same ingredients as Family Circle, except for just plain onion, Miracle Whip (no sugar) but with celery and crisp bacon.

Trusted Contributor

you soooo very much!!!!!!