Honored Contributor

I decided to make potato soup today. The recipe called for 2/3 cup of heavy cream. Could only buy a pint at the grocery store.

I am just tempted to put all the heavy cream into the soup. Does it matter?

I do not drink coffee or have any other use for heavy cream. So rather than just throwing the remainder of heavy cream down the drain, I was thinking about just adding it to the soup.

Respected Contributor

@drizzellla I would definetly ADD!

Honored Contributor

@Luvsmyfam wrote:

What do you think. The recipe also calls for 2 cups of milk. I am guessing that I will cut down on the milk, if I am adding additional heavy cream.

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

@Luvsmyfam wrote:

What do you think. The recipe also calls for 2 cups of milk. I am guessing that I will cut down on the milk, if I am adding additional heavy cream.

I would reduce the regular milk...but honestly....I don't really think it matters that much.

You wouldn't be adding tons of extra liquid. 

But I would reduce.....If by any chance you think it is too 'liquidy', I use instant mash flakes to thicken it up.

I wouldn't waste the heavy cream either!

I just spent $5.49 for a quart to make my cheesecake!!

Honored Contributor

It's not going to make that much difference.

Trusted Contributor

I would use all of the heavy cream. Not that much difference in the amount; cut back the same amount on the milk...or add it all..... I had to use half and half one time because heavy cream was not in stock, it worked out just fine. That's the good thing about soup; you can be flexible on the amounts of almost everything you put on it.

Honored Contributor

It seems you'd be adding three times the amount of heavy cream the recipe specifies.  I'd be cautious.  What's the worse that can happen?  I don't know.  I guess the soup would have more calories.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for all your input. I figure I am going to use the entire pint of heavy cream - 2 cups. And use 2/3 cup of milk.

I will reverse the ingredients. Instead of 2 cups milk and 2/3 cup heavy cream. We will see what happens.

Trusted Contributor

Heavens, don't toss it out!!

Heavy cream keeps longer than milk. You can use it place of milk+butter in mashed potato or mac/cheese. Use it in gravy, in any kind of soup or sauce, to make scrambled eggs, omelets, or quiche. A dollop of cream on top of fruit is a wonderful dessert. Put it in your oatmeal or on your cereal. Mix it with nut butter and spread it on your toast! Or whip it and put a dollop on anything you love to eat. Fold it into your pancakes! Slather it on your steamed veggies! 

You can fry eggs in cream instead of butter, and in fact you can saute chops and veggies in cream instead of oil or butter, too--just start with the cream and food a cold pan, heat to medium high so the cream separates into butter and buttermilk, and the buttermilk evaporates. The butter that's left makes a silky brown crust on eggs, meat, anything. 

I never buy milk or half and half. What the heck is half and half anyway? But I always, always have a pint of heavy cream.

Enjoy!

Respected Contributor

@KaySD 

Lots of good ideas here!

Yes, don't toss the heavy cream. It can also be frozen and used for other recipes later on.