Honored Contributor

My husband came home with 5 pounds of potatoes from his time away with his hiking group. We had just bought a 5 pound bag shortly before he left. 

I wanted to make Potato Soup. Every recipe calls for a pound of bacon. Went to buy some bacon. Oh My! What happened? Why is bacon so expensive now?

I know prices have gone up but it seems like bacon has more than doubled in price. I don't have a clue why.

Honored Contributor

I would like to find a potato soup recipe without bacon.  Does it exist??

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr @Sure. I use heavy cream, half and half, butter,  finely chopped scallions or  puréed onions, chicken bouillon with water or chicken broth, puréed, cooked potatoes. Salt, pepper, sometimes a pinch of nutmeg. Sometimes leeks. It's good cold or hot. Oops, someone else's submission reminded me that I occasionally add a TBL of puréed celery, but I prefer it without.

Honored Contributor

I make this recipe that calls for cream cheese, but no bacon:

4 cups chicken broth

4 cups peeled, cubed potatoes

1/2 tsp salt (I use Lawry's seasoned)

1/4 tsp pepper

1/2 lb cream cheese cut into chunks

2 stalks celery, chopped

1/2 onion, chopped 

Saute celery and onion. 

Boil broth, potatoes, salt, and pepper in big saucepan until potatoes are tender.

Smash a few potatoes with a masher to thicken.

Stir in celery, onion, and cream cheese over low heat until cheese is melted.    

Honored Contributor

YUM... OH YUM!!!

I LOVE potato soup and as a Diabetic, I have to watch how much I can have.....

Good receipes, thanks!!

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

I have had the Potato Soup at J.B. Dawson's restaurant and have not found any other potato soup that compares. So I have been trying many different recipes trying to find a recipe than is half as good as J. B. Dawson's.

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla 

Many people have high BP and shouldn't have a lot of bacon or may not like it. 

All Recipes or Recipes.com are both wonderful!  All of the recipes have reviews as well as personal changes people have enjoyed.

Honored Contributor

My favorite restaurant makes the best soup I've ever had......potato leek soup.  Yum, yum, yum!  I don't have the recipe, of course, but that's a very tasty combination...at least to me!  I always bring a container home and add some chopped chicken pieces.  

Respected Contributor

@drizzellla 

Thank you for posting this. I have 5# of potatoes in my fridge and we don't eat a lot of potatoes. We do like a baked potato once in awhile though. Now I know what I am going to do with the potatoes. I love potato soup and the recipe posted here sounds yummy.

As far at the bacon being expensive, it's been pricey here for quite sometime. The last package I purchased was $5 for 12 oz. and that was on sale. Normally it is between $7-$8. I only buy when I really really need it for a recipe. Meat here is out of sight. I'd like to buy a beef roast, but it's sky high. We ate that every week on Sunday's when I was a kid.  Those days are long gone too.

Respected Contributor

Cheddar Potato Chowder

Ingredients
2 cups water  (chicken broth)
2 cups diced unpeeled red potatoes (white potatoes)
1 cup diced carrot
1/2 cup diced celery
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups 2% milk
2 cups shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese  (regular cheddar)
1 cup cubed fully cooked ham

Directions

1. In a Dutch oven, combine the first 7 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until tender.
  2. Meanwhile, place flour in a large saucepan; gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Add cheese; stir until melted. Stir the ham and the cheese sauce into undrained vegetables; stir until combined.

Here's my changes......I use chicken broth vs water

I actually sautee the onion and celery in butter until soft

I microwave the carrots to soften them

I use regular potatoes

I use whole milk if I have it

I use real cheddar shredded cheese (no reduced fat)

I really don't understand simmering for 10-12 minutes since the potatoes will not be soft/cooked.   You can par boil the potatoes if you want but I just simmer longer.  

I substituted sausage too and it was good.

To get a good soup, you need to really cook that flour with the milk not only to get it thickened but to cook the taste of the flour out of it.

I like more pepper and remember potatoes absorb the salt so you might have to add more after simmering.

Original recipe from Taste of Home

Click to go to the recipe website