Honored Contributor

Re: Potato Salad Using Canned Potatos

WAY to easy to cook potatoes to even xonsider canned.  When I roast potatoes in the oven, I always make extra.  So quick to peel and whip up potato salad or another potato dish.  I also make extra potatoes in the Instant Pot or sometimes just do it the old fashion way on the stove.  I always have potatoes on hand....a staple.  I can't think of a reason why I would ever consider canned potatoes,

Respected Contributor

Wish I could remember the site I used for a potato salad recipe using frozen (cubed) hashbrowns.  I thought it was completely acceptable but DH (the purist) disagreed.  (Just earned HIM the job of cleaning, peeling, boiling and dicing the potatoes!)

Anyhow, I think this is closest, but just used my regular recipe from there.  I did chill the potatoes in the fridge for a little while before mixing.

https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/hash-browns-potato-salad-142490

Denise
Esteemed Contributor

Wow....I never realized you could even buy canned potatoes.  I've probably walked past them a million times before but never noticed them.  I've seen canned green beans w/ potatoes but not the potatoes by themselves. 

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

I must live under a rock...I had no idea you could purchase canned potatoes.

Honored Contributor

@denisemb   What a cleaver idea.  Swap out the eggs for celery, add smoked paprika on top, and  you have my potato salad recipe.  I'll bet this is tasty! 

@denisemb wrote:

Wish I could remember the site I used for a potato salad recipe using frozen (cubed) hashbrowns.

Anyhow, I think this is closest, but just used my regular recipe from there.  I did chill the potatoes in the fridge for a little while before mixing.

https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/hash-browns-potato-salad-142490

Esteemed Contributor

I've used the canned potatoes for potato salad and it works fine. It's especially good if you are making the German potato salad. I found it  to be a big time saver for family reunions, picnics, etc. when you more people than usual and more food to prepare than time.  

I still prefer my traditional recipe but sometimes you need the option of "semi" homemmade. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Fressa 

They sell German Potato salad in a can also. I love it.

I have a few cans right here in my  k-cabinet.....lol  and now I'm gonna have me some......   <3

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Unless I’m down in my Safe Room with dead Zombies 

knocking on the door after the World Apocalypse,

why would anyone use canned potatoes?

Maybe if you didn’t have a kitchen to cook?

Can;t think another reason.

Real potatoes are so easy to prepare..cheap.

Honored Contributor

Eewh that sounds gross. I have never heard of potatoes in a can. Are they cut up or whole? 
What do they put in them to keep them from turning brown?

I buy fresh or frozen vs processed canned food.

Respected Contributor

@rms1954 Yes I have. I made german potatoe salad with them. And I used the precooked bacon and it was done in about 10 minutes. I diced the potatoe and crisped them up in the bacon grease along with diced vidalia onion. My own recipe. Thay can be used in alot of ways including home fries. Just use your imagination. And You'll be surprised what you can come up with. I am glad I was made aware of them years ago. What a time saver. I even just like them drained and heated up with a can of drained carrots with a little butter on top for a quick side or a snack. Happy quiking ! Smiley Tongue