Honored Contributor

Potato Salad Using Canned Potatos

Anyone ever try this?  Your thoughts.  I found several  recipies but before trying I would like some feedback from those of you that may have made it.

Contributor

Re: Potato Salad Using Canned Potatos

I’ve tried a few simple potato salad recipes using canned potatoes, and they weren’t bad at all.  If I were going to make a large quantity for a party, barbecue, etc., I’d probably use fresh boiled potatoes...I just think the taste/texture is a bit better.  But I have enjoyed the few recipes I’ve tried that call for canned potatoes.  Those recipes are usually simpler...not so many ingredients, and they’re a cinch to whip up quickly when you have no fresh potatoes on hand.  I would try those recipes if I were you and see what you think.  I’d make mine again, especially for my small family...so easy!

Respected Contributor

I have only used canned potatoes as a side dish one time.  I heated them on the stove, added butter and fresh parsley.  We didn't like them at all.  Canned vegetables have a very different flavor versus fresh.  Potato salad might be different since you are adding several layers of flavors.  Personally, I would do a trial run before I served it to company but I think using fresh potatoes would make a better dish. JMO.

Honored Contributor

My experience is NO.  

I have never bought canned potatoes in the grocery store, but I have canned jars of our smallest home grown potatoes; the ones too small to peel, but too many to waste.  

The only way my family felt they were edible was fried crispy in an iron skillet with onions, or used in potato soup, with cheese, bacon, ham, celery and onions for flavor.   

Honored Contributor

I bought some canned potatoes to take camping.  Yuck! Only did that once. We did not like them at all

Honored Contributor

In my opinion canned potatoes taste awful.

Honored Contributor

I've used whole canned potatos and diced in the past and liked them, but just not for the salad.   I put parsley and butter on the whole ones and I'll fry up the diced ones with oniions and mushrooms.  I just don't know how they would work in the salad.  I may give it a try.  I hate all the work of making potato salad. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think bought potato salad (maybe a bbq place?) is far better than anything a canned potato could make. 

Or potatoes made in the microwave. . . 

Regular Contributor

An easy short cut is cleaning the potatoes, microwave with skins on, cool, remove skins and dice.  It takes a lot less time when I do this as opposed to boiling.  We all want short cuts with potatoe salad...this is it!!

Honored Contributor

Since I  cook for one, I take some shortcuts I wouldnt ordinarily use if cooking for more.  One is the use of canned sweet potatoes.  They taste pretty much like the ones I cook, are very nutritious and they make a fast side dish.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment