Valued Contributor

Re: Potato Salad Using Canned Potatos

I’ve made potato salad from canned potatoes and it’s pretty good. By the time you add the chopped onion and celery, mayo and seasonings and then let it chill in the refrigerator, it’s pretty good. Better in my opinion than you can buy from a store. I don’t think plain buttered potatoes from a can are any good you have to crisp them up or add seasonings.
Trusted Contributor

@rms1954  Wonder if you can make mashed potatos with them?  I had forgotten about being able to buy them in a can.  Seems like it would be a good item to keep in the pantry when the closest store is 30 minutes away and it's 8 at night and no fresh potatos in sight. 

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I wouldn't try to mash them but I would slice them and pan fry them with onions until crisped and delicious!  I keep 1 can in the pantry most of the time!  Add a can of corned beef and you have dinner!

Honored Contributor

I finally gave it a try.  I used the diced potatoes and it came out pretty good except for the ingredients called for 2 tbsp mustard and didn't specify if that was ground mustard or table mustard.  I used 2 tsp ground mustard and it was ok but not great.  I would try it again but with different ingredients. 

I used half mayo/half miracle whip, onions and green peppers and celery, salt/pepper.  Called for hard boiled eggs but I didn't put those in.  Now that I know it will work with the canned potatoes, I would like to try it again but with a different ingredient list for the dressing.

Thanks for all your advice.

Esteemed Contributor

@MalteseMomma, I do the same for a quick German Potato Salad. Walmart (and other grocers) carry the Reese brand of canned GPS and it's really pretty good. I like to warm it in the microwave. Both hubby and I like it.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 Now i don't care for canned sweet potatoes, but I just bake my sweet potatoes and add a little butter or margarine and a little brown sugar. That is much to my likeing. Now they also work well baked and make a casserole with a little maple syrup, margarine and a few marshmallows.

Respected Contributor

@denisemb Check the website of Trish Yearwood. It's Trish Yearwood / Food Channel .com She make alot of variation of Potatoe Salads.

Trusted Contributor

I watched a presentation on You Tube where thr prersenter made potato salad using frozen diced potatoes.  A viewer commrented that she maked her PS using canned, diced potatoes which she keeps ready in her fridge.  I have a can in the fridge now just waiting for me to try to attempt this.  This is the recioe sne provided (I like all her listed ingredients in my PS... of course I have to sprenkle on the paprika):

.Enough for two or three

1 can of diced potatoes, drained

1 hard boiled egg, chopped

1 TBS sweet relish

2-3 TBS mayo

1-2 TBS Italian dressing (optional for extra tang)

1 TBS mustard

Pinch of salt

Mix together let cool on fridge. If too loose add spoonful instant mashed potato to thicken and bring it together. This is a quick go to and I keep cans of diced potatoes in the fridge in stand by