Esteemed Contributor

I was watching Ina make her latkes for breakfast using good baking potatoes 😄

I'm assuming russets by the look and she mentioned low water content potatoes fry up crispier.

Have you subbed frozen hashbrowns in your latkes? Thaw first?  I know, I know...get out the box grater... 

Asking for a friend 🤫

Respected Contributor

I love potatoe pancakes but don't know how to make them.  I think I remember they were made with matzo (sp) meal.  When I worked downtown there was a restaurant that made them and I would go for lunch, always served them with homemade apple sauce.

Honored Contributor

When I cooked for my family I used to make potato pancakes.

It was only because the mashed potatoes were leftovers and I grew up eating them.

The OP just brought up another nice memory from when I was growing up and I closed my eyes and saw my family eating around the table.  

But in my memory my husband was alive and sitting at the head of the table.

Esteemed Contributor

I have great memories of my Gram making potato pancakes with applesauce, too!  

I think matzoh meal might be a tastier option rather than flour as a binder.

For those interested, Ina has a homemade applesauce recipe on FN. Tweek as you like, made in a non reactive deep, covered casserole in the oven. I use a 3qt Pyrex dish. Highly recommend!

@Annabellethecat66 I recall those mashed potato cakes, too!

Trusted Contributor

One of the last times that I made them, I followed a recipe that used the fresh hashbrowns that were a refrigerated brand.

When using either fresh or thawed, you have to make sure that you drain/squeeze as much water out of them as possible.

It's really important to get the water out of them, otherwise they won't hold together well and will fall apart when you try and shape them into patties to fry.

Valued Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

When I cooked for my family I used to make potato pancakes.

It was only because the mashed potatoes were leftovers and I grew up eating them.

The OP just brought up another nice memory from when I was growing up and I closed my eyes and saw my family eating around the table.  

But in my memory my husband was alive and sitting at the head of the table.

I cannot make good potato cakes from leftover mashed potatoes. Too much egg, too much flour or maybe do not need anything added??? Would like to know the secret. But, for potato Latkes i use one a Marsha Adams had on her cooking shows and book. Mennonite cooking. Everything is thrown in a blender and blended. So easy and so good. I loved her cooking shows. Still have them on VCR tapes. I need to get that book out again with this rainy cool weather we are having now and have some comfort foods.

Honored Contributor

@nomar @The potatoes need to be grated, not mashed. You can use a box grater or grate them with a food processor. Use russet potatoes. Try two large potatoes. You'll need an egg, you'll need grated onion. You'll need a little matzoh meal or flour. Mix very Luthuli together. Form potatoes by hand, fry in oil. Fry in small batches. 

Valued Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@nomar @The potatoes need to be grated, not mashed. You can use a box grater or grate them with a food processor. Use russet potatoes. Try two large potatoes. You'll need an egg, you'll need grated onion. You'll need a little matzoh meal or flour. Mix very Luthuli together. Form potatoes by hand, fry in oil. Fry in small batches. 

Thank you for your potato recipe. I was curious why I cannot get leftover mashed potatoes to turn out when using them as a fried potato cake. My mom used to use her leftovers like that, but mine do not turn out very well. When I want a regular potato latke type, I do make like your recipe. Throw all the  ingredients into the processor, give it a whirl and fry

Honored Contributor

I make patties from leftover risotto-----yes--- I make risotto often using my Instant Pot---- very easy and quick and vey delicious. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Potato Pancake/Latkes?

[ Edited ]

@nomar 

My family loves potato cakes made with our leftover mashed potatoes.  

If there's a secret to this recipe, I would say it is in the main ingredient, the mashed potatoes.   My family likes a more solid mashed potato, not a creamy, over whipped, mashed potato.   

I dump the mashed potatoes into a large bowl, mash with a fork, add one egg, some minced onion, one heaping tablespoon of all purpose flour, salt and pepper, and stir. I want the potato mixture to be soft enough to scoop easily with a spoon, so this is when I judge if more flour is needed, and how much.   I doubt I ever add more than 1/4 cup of flour, for 2 cups of leftover mashed potatoes.   

I have my skillet heating while I'm mixing and stirring the potatoes, and add about 2 tablespoons of butter before I drop the potatoes in.   We like our potato pancakes smaller than a burger patty, but larger than a sausage patty.  

Sometimes my family will ask me to add cheese, which I might use grated cheese, or a small cube of Velveeta placed in the center after I drop into the skillet, then cover the cheese with more potatoes.