Respected Contributor

Potato Candy - A Tradition I Never Knew About

[ Edited ]

Mashed potatoes, lots and lots of powdered sugar, and a filling - often peanut butter.

There are several different recipes and videos about it. No baking and it doesn’t look too hard to make.

Although it would be too sweet for me, I find the idea fascinating.

Honored Contributor

Re: Potato Candy - A Tradition I Never Knew About

I had never heard of this until this morning when my local news did a story on what is the favorite Christmas candy of each state.

Honored Contributor

I love it, I found the recipe years ago.

Honored Contributor

Yes, MADLY SWEET! We often received them as St. Patrick’s Day presents.

Honored Contributor

My brother-in-law’s mother made potato candy. I loved it even though I am not a potato person. Guess the sugar and peanut butter helped. 😆 I remember the first time she brought it to the family Christmas party. When she told us what it was I turned up my nose at it, but I finally tried a piece and loved it. 

Valued Contributor

I’ve tried making it- I think it’s hard to make. I don’t know if it’s just me- but when I made it- it turned out terrible. It’s a shame too because it’s my husbands favorite candy. 

Honored Contributor

I have heard of it but have never tasted it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is my SIL's recipe for this candy.  She calls them "Needhams":

6 tbsp butter

3 tbsp milk

1/8 tsp salt

1/4 cup instant mashed potato flakes

1 tsp vanilla

1 1/2 cups powdered sugar

1 1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut

5 4-oz bars Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Premium Baking Bars

Make foil sling for 8" square baking pan.  Smooth foil flush to corners and sides of pan, then grease with cooking spray. 

Microwave butter, milk, and salt in bowl until bubbling, about 2 minutes.  Stir in potato flakes and vanilla for 30 seconds.  Stir in sugar and coconut until forming a loose paste.

Pour into baking pan and press into even layer to corners of pan.  Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 3 hours (or up to overnight).

Flip onto cutting board and cut into 25 equal-sized squares.  Refrigerate squares.  Line a baking sheet with parchment.

Finely chop 4 bars of chocolate and place in glass bowl.  Finely chop other bar of chocolate and set aside.  Microwave 4 bar amount at 50% power, stirring every 15 seconds, for 1 1/2 minutes.  Stir in and mash single bar amount until smooth.

Drop 3 coconut squares into chocolate and gently flip to coat all sides.  Lift from chocolate with fork one at a time and set on parchment-lined pan.  Repeat with rest of squares. (When chocolate starts to thicken, microwave at 50% power for 5 seconds at a time and stir, until liquid.) 

Refrigerate for 1/2 hour, then store in airtight container 

Super Contributor

I had never heard of this until a few years ago when I saw Antonella Nester make some in one of those pretaped Christmas videos. 

Respected Contributor

@Glitter51 wrote:

I’ve tried making it- I think it’s hard to make. I don’t know if it’s just me- but when I made it- it turned out terrible ...

@Glitter51, here is one video, you might find interesting:

“Mashed potato candy..made by my CRAZY aunt! ! “

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yf0W03xuzbs