Honored Contributor

I thought it called for  pepperoncini......not pepper corns     ??????

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

yep,u r right.it makes its own gravy.yum!

Respected Contributor

I made it one time.  It was tender but just "okay." I prefer Italian roast, which is made with a rump roast.

Valued Contributor

I have tried it and found it to be too salty and too greasy. 

Esteemed Contributor

I have made it, but we prefer the kind made in my Nesco roaster. I use just a chuck roast, russett potatoes & carrots.

Trusted Contributor

@lolasgaga wrote:

I have made this pot roast in a Crock Pot. It  was ok but I found it to be way to salty. I only made it that one time.

@lolasgaga 

I have made it, also, and found it to be too salty. I think it is the ranch dressing that makes it that way.

Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels here on earth to teach us to be better humans.
Honored Contributor

Sometimes the Mississippi Mud Roast can be a little too spicy for some people.  Another slow cooker pot roast recipe that I used to make is called Three Envelope Roast.  It’s quite tasty and you can make a nice gravy with it. 

3# pot roast

brown gravy mix envelope

ranch dressing mix envelope

italian dressing mix envelope

1 cup water

do NOT salt your roast, there’s plenty of salt in the seasoning mixes

Cook on low for 8 hrs.  Your roast will be more tender when you cook this way rather than trying to speed things up on high for half the time. 

Adding veggies is optional, but wait until the last half of the cooking time to do so or they will get too soft.

Honored Contributor

Our favorite pot roast is a chuck roast sprinkled with S&P & browned on all sides in olive oil, remove from dutch oven, brown onions, place roast on onions with chunks of carrots & potatoes.

Add enough broth 4-5 cups to cover & bring up to simmer. You can always use some red wine in place of some broth.

Place in oven at 275° for 4-5 hrs til tender.

Remove roast, potatoes & carrots. Return dutch oven to stove burner for 5-10 mins on med-high heat.

Whisk 1/2 cup melted butter with 1/2 cup flour to make roux 1-2 mins. Whisk roux in broth & simmer 10 mins til gravy thickens. YUM!!!

Honored Contributor

YUM!!! Have pot roast in the oven in my dutch oven. It smells so good. Can't wait for dinner.