Honored Contributor

A great day (it's cold outside 18) for pot roast.  I picked up a small one which I salt & pepper and flour and brown in butter or margarine.  Then I place in a roaster with fresh carrots, and cut up white potatoes.  I also add Lipton onion soup mix and a little fresh onion and some water to slightly cover the veggies.  Cook at 325 for 3 hours.  The slower you cook the more tender the meat.  Yummy.  Serve with crusty bread or corn bread.  Cat Very HappyHeart

kindness is strength
Super Contributor

Re: Pot Roast in the Oven 1/14

Oh, that sounds so good. I can almost smell it!! It is 11 degrees here. I wish I had something like that cooking here. Will have to do that soon. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

Contributor

I have a pot roast in my crockpot today and it sure smells good!  Great comfort food for a very cold day!  Enjoy your dinner! 

Super Contributor

I am doing the very same thing today for our dinner tonight. The only difference is the temp here is 45 (which is cold for me. I am in Texas and love my hot summers!). Smiley Very Happy

Deep In The Heart of Texas
Respected Contributor

I'm doing that tomorrow!  We had a scare down here that we would get a wintry mix again on Wednesday.  Right now the weather agencies have decided that we aren't going to have a "wintry mix".  For the deep south of Georgia, people start driving crazy with just talking about such things.  I pray it keeps at bay as school is back in session, unlike the first week of the year when we were paralyzed by it.  I'll stick to my roast in my pressure cooker with carrots, potatoes, onion, celery, and mushrooms!  I do a three envelope roast with beef stock, ranch dressing mix packet, Italian dressing mix packet and mushroom gravy packet.  I know loads of sodium, but I load it up with veggies.  It cooks quicker in the Instant Pot and infuses the flavors.  I tried the Mississippi roast, but can't handle all of the butter in it.

Honored Contributor

Snowy weather is heading our way so I'll be making pot roast too. Will follow your recipe with the addition of some celery.

Respected Contributor

Mmmm, pot roast...synonymous with winter and Sunday dinners.  

Always a hit with the family!  Bon appetite!

Respected Contributor

Yum, Potroast.  Easiest stovetop meal EVER in a Duch Oven pot. It makes stew to much work.

Honored Contributor

I just made another batch of chicken noodle soup yesterday since it's so cold. Suppose to get down to 6° tonight with -1° with the wind chill.

Made pot roast in my Dutch Oven Thurs. it was so good.

I brown the roast with salt, pepper in olive oil, remove from pan, brown some onions in olive oil, place roast on top of onions add stock, organic potatoes & carrots, bay leaf & some red wine. Bring back up to simmer & place in oven at 275° until fall apart. Took 6 hrs for my 3 1/3 lb roast.

Remove the roast, potatoes, carrots etc from dutch oven.

Return dutch oven to stovetop to heat over medium heat 5-10 mins.

Melt 1/4 c butter, add 1/4 c flour to make roux, mix to thicken, add to liquid left in dutch oven, whisk well

Let simmer 5-10 mins to thicken gravy. YUM!!!

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

I just made another batch of chicken noodle soup yesterday since it's so cold. Suppose to get down to 6° tonight with -1° with the wind chill.

Made pot roast in my Dutch Oven Thurs. it was so good.

I brown the roast with salt, pepper in olive oil, remove from pan, brown some onions in olive oil, place roast on top of onions add stock, organic potatoes & carrots, bay leaf & some red wine. Bring back up to simmer & place in oven at 275° until fall apart. Took 6 hrs for my 3 1/3 lb roast.

Remove the roast, potatoes, carrots etc from dutch oven.

Return dutch oven to stovetop to heat over medium heat 5-10 mins.

Melt 1/4 c butter, add 1/4 c flour to make roux, mix to thicken, add to liquid left in dutch oven, whisk well

Let simmer 5-10 mins to thicken gravy. YUM!!!

@Nightowlz,Yum!  Hope you don't mind that I copied this.  What cut of beef do you use please?  I can see a new obsession coming on!  I shal name it "Nightowl Supper"!!!Smiley Happy