Honored Contributor

🍂 🍁 Post Your Autumn Eats and Treats, Please 🐿

[ Edited ]

I saw this on Pinterest today and thought it would be nice to start a thread specifically for autumn eats and treats.

Sweet or savory - I'd love to see what's in your bag of tricks!

Thank you!

I'll start with this....

Screen Shot 2019-10-07 at 3.47.46 PM.png

🌰 Chocolate Acorns
Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
  • 50 mini Nilla wafer cookies
  • 50 milk chocolate Hershey's kisses , unwrapped
  • 50 mini chocolate chips
Directions
  1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
  2. In a small microwave safe bowl, melt the semisweet chocolate chips in the microwave for about 45 seconds; stir until smooth. Continue microwaving in 15 second intervals, if necessary. Using a spatula, transfer melted chocolate to a small Ziploc bag; snip off a tiny corner.
  3. Pipe a small amount of the chocolate onto the flat side of each cookie and immediately press a Hershey’s kiss on top to attach it. Place on the prepared baking sheet, cookie side down, and repeat with the remaining cookies and kisses; place in the freezer for 5 minutes to set.
  4. Pipe a smidge of the melted chocolate onto a mini chocolate chip and attach it to the top of the wafer to create the stem.
  5. Place back onto the baking sheet until all the acorns are finished. Freeze for another 5 minutes to set completely.

*I think this can be done without piping.  I'm going to try using a pair of small tongs to hold the chocolate kiss and chocolate chips over a candle flame just long enough to soften it.  This may turn out to be an epic fail, but I'm always up for a challenge.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Re: 🍂 🍁 Post Your Autumn Eat and Treats, Please 🐿

These aren't pretty , but I make them every fall, and people seem to love them. 

Pumpkin Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies. 

In a large mixing bowl, cream 1 cup butter or margarine and 3/4 cup brown sugar and 3/4 cup white sugar. 
Beat in 1 egg and 1 teasp. Vanilla.

combine 2 cups flour , 1 cup quick cooking oats, 1 teasp. baking soda, 1 teasp cinnamon.

Stir into creamed mixture, alternating with 1 cup canned pumpkin.

Fold in 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips.

Drop by Tbs. onto greased cookie sheets, and bake at  350 for 12 to 13 min. 🎃

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Trusted Contributor

I made those little acorns last year. They take some time but are easy and cute. They do turn out as nice as the picture. Give them a try.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

A gooey, double-dipped caramel apple.  Just a saucepan full of melted caramels, some heavy cream, and a couple Granny Smith apples on popsicle sticks.. 

Honored Contributor

Re: 🍂 🍁 Post Your Autumn Eats and Treats, Please 🐿

@house_cat   Those acorns are adorable!

Today I had a large ripe mango that needed to be eaten now.  I peeled it, placed in the blender with frozen bananas, almond milk, and some frozen cherries.  Whizzed it up and had the best ice cream ever (added a little carob to half the mixture 'cause hubby likes chocolate).

Esteemed Contributor

Re: 🍂 🍁 Post Your Autumn Eats and Treats, Please 🐿

@house_cat  Thanks for starting this thread. Great ideas here. Thanks to all who contributed also. 🍁🎃👻