Honored Contributor

Yesterday I had a cupcake from a local grocery store.  The chocolate icing on it was to die for.  Im guessing it was whipped, it tasted like homemade chocolate pudding but was very ligh.  First time I have had it, where have I been!!??

Anyone know what I am talking about and where I can find a receipe for it?

Thanks

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

@Imaoldhippie  Did you try asking the bakery department at the store you purchased it from?  They might even share the ingredients and then you could make it at home.

And if you happen to get the recipe, please share.  I'm always looking for a good frosting recipe.  

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

@CAcableGirl2.............someone else bought them.  But I am going to go to that grocery and ask.  I tell you it was down right sinfully good.

I will definitely share when I find the receipe.  I did google the grocery store but did not find the receipe.

Honored Contributor

Re: Possible whipped icing?

[ Edited ]

@Imaoldhippie

You could search light whipped topping on Google & click on Images. Pick one that looks good & check out the recipe.

I won't make a recipe I find online unless I see a picture of it. If it does not look good I'm not making it. Found several good recipes online doing that. LOL!!! I can generally tell by the ingredients if we will like it or not.

Honored Contributor

I did find a couple of whipped icing receipes online but like you said to picture, no make.

Honored Contributor
Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 c (340g) butter, at room temperature
  • 4 c (500g) powdered sugar
  • 3/4 c (94g) cocoa powder
  • 4 tbsp. (60ml) heavy whipping cream
  • 2 tsp. (10ml) vanilla extract
  • pinch table salt
Instructions

1. In a the bowl of an electric stand mixer, fitted with whisk attachment whisk butter and sugar on medium-high speed until very pale and fluffy or about five minutes.
  2. Be sure to stop at least once and scrape the bowl.
  3. With the mixer off, add in cocoa powder, vanilla and salt.
  4. Turn mixer on low and blend for about 30 seconds.
  5. One tablespoon at a time add in heavy cream.
  6. Once all cream has been added and mixture is mostly combined, turn off the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl.
  7. Now turn the mixer onto medium-high to high and whisk for 3-5 minutes or until mixture is lighter and fluffier. The frosting will be shiny and seem to have many large air bubbles throughout and this is exactly what we are going for. (You can smooth those out on the cake if so desired.)
Valued Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

Yesterday I had a cupcake from a local grocery store.  The chocolate icing on it was to die for.  Im guessing it was whipped, it tasted like homemade chocolate pudding but was very ligh.  First time I have had it, where have I been!!??

Anyone know what I am talking about and where I can find a receipe for it?

Thanks

You might like my favorite frosting which is a pint of heavy whipping cream whipped together with a 3.4 oz. pkg. of vanilla instant pudding (you could use other flavors). It is quick and easy and foolproof.

Frequent Contributor
Pudding and whip cream mix together light not sweet and delicous.
Honored Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:
Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 c (340g) butter, at room temperature
  • 4 c (500g) powdered sugar
  • 3/4 c (94g) cocoa powder
  • 4 tbsp. (60ml) heavy whipping cream
  • 2 tsp. (10ml) vanilla extract
  • pinch table salt
Instructions

1. In a the bowl of an electric stand mixer, fitted with whisk attachment whisk butter and sugar on medium-high speed until very pale and fluffy or about five minutes.
  2. Be sure to stop at least once and scrape the bowl.
  3. With the mixer off, add in cocoa powder, vanilla and salt.
  4. Turn mixer on low and blend for about 30 seconds.
  5. One tablespoon at a time add in heavy cream.
  6. Once all cream has been added and mixture is mostly combined, turn off the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl.
  7. Now turn the mixer onto medium-high to high and whisk for 3-5 minutes or until mixture is lighter and fluffier. The frosting will be shiny and seem to have many large air bubbles throughout and this is exactly what we are going for. (You can smooth those out on the cake if so desired.)

This is very similar to my favorite chocolate frosting recipe.  I like to add a teaspoon of instant espresso powder to deepen the flavor of the cocoa.

Honored Contributor

I went to the grocery where the sinful cupcakes were bought.  The bakery lady said the icing is made by Hershey's.  No wonder they are delicious.  They buy it from Hershey's by the tub full.  So I am going to make a whipped cream icing with Hershey's chocolate and see what happens.

Oh yeah, and I bought some of those cupcakes.