Honored Contributor

Portabella mushrooms for dinner

Those huge mushrooms have been on sale  here 2 for $3 lately. DD and I love them roasted and stuffed with various things for our meatless days .And they have been giant sized lately, made a recipe for them that used a marinade and fresh avocado chimmi churri on top . OM gosh they were amazing--- just wondering if anyone does the same? 

Honored Contributor

Re: Portabella mushrooms for dinner

@wagirl , I haven't , but your post makes me wonder why not . I love mushrooms and this has given me ideas.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Super Contributor

Yes, they are part of our everyday meals. I stuff them with sauteed spinach and ground pork. Extras freeze well for lunches. One recipe I use suggests scooping out the gills and then roasting them for a short time prior to stuffing and baking. Helps dry out the water that's inside them. I like any dish that combines veggies and protein!
Honored Contributor

I love them stuffed with a crabmeat stuffing and a sprinkle of mozzarella cheese on top.

I prepare regular stuffed mushrooms the same way.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@dsw503 --- yes, I do the exact same things and use  my airfryer-- always scoop out the gills .But hadn't marinated them before--- 

Honored Contributor

Portabellas (and shiitakes) are a staple in my kitchen.  Wish I could grow my own organic, somehow.

I have some thick sliced ones simmering on the stove in a pot of red lentil soup.  So meaty---without the meat!

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

They are delicious.  I use the giant caps to make vegan garlic butter caprese stuffed mushrooms.

Respected Contributor

Wow, all these ideas sound so good!  🍄🍴💕

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Esteemed Contributor

Had a most delicious  goat cheese salad topped with balsamic/garlic   portabella  mushrooms many years ago in Tarrytown, Ny . I loved it so much that I make it at home.

Respected Contributor

Love them.  A summer favorite is portabella's charcoal grilled, topped with cheese (and any other favorite fixings), on a hamburger bun. A great veggie burger.