Honored Contributor

DH made pork steaks on the grill this weekend. They were so good. This is the marinade I mixed up to put on them.  

1 1/2 T Soy Sauce

3 T Brown Sugar

3 T Ketchup

1 1/2 T Olive Oil

1/4 t Minced Garlic

1 1/2 t Apple Cider Vinegar

Pork Steaks.jpg

Respected Contributor

@Nightowlz     Boy that looks and sounds good..  Saving the marinade recipe right now.

Honored Contributor

I have a similar marinade that calls for chopped onions.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Sounds good to me, and they are beautiful! 

I have a supply of the pork ribeyes from - crud, cannot remember the name now but it's the ones sold here on QVC.     I usually just cook them with not much on them but something like this would be perfect!

Thanks for sharing.  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

They look delicious, but also look more like some nice pork chops! Pork steaks are a big thing here in Missouri, and they're a thinner and cheaper cut of meat that's best smothered in bbq sauce on the grill. The flavor is good but they sure don't look like your nice cut of pork! I have no idea why our "pork steaks" even use the name "steak" because they're far from that! LOL!

Respected Contributor

@jannabelle1 wrote:

They look delicious, but also look more like some nice pork chops! Pork steaks are a big thing here in Missouri, and they're a thinner and cheaper cut of meat that's best smothered in bbq sauce on the grill. The flavor is good but they sure don't look like your nice cut of pork! I have no idea why our "pork steaks" even use the name "steak" because they're far from that! LOL!

@jannabelle1 Can you ask for a thick cut?  We have those at our local King Soopers (Kroger) on the shelf; if not out they sometimes have in butcher case too. 

Trusted Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

Sounds good to me, and they are beautiful! 

I have a supply of the pork ribeyes from - crud, cannot remember the name now but it's the ones sold here on QVC.     I usually just cook them with not much on them but something like this would be perfect!

Thanks for sharing.  Smiley Happy

Are you thinking of Rastelli's, @chickenbutt ?

If so, my MIL sent us some of those in an assorted gift package one time and they were really good! 

Esteemed Contributor

@rockygems123, no, pork steaks here are not a thick cut at all and they would never be thick. They are a cheaper and fattier (but flavorful) cut of pork butt that is cut thin for the grill. St. Louis grocers order more of this cut of pork for Memorial Day than any other area in the country! The term "steak" is not a good description of them at all. I was born and raised in Iowa and had never heard of pork steaks until I moved to St. Louis in the 70s. They are definitely not pork chops! The only way to cook them is on the grill with a lot of bbq rub and bbq sauce....crispy around the edges. Pork chops are a whole other cut of meat for us!

Honored Contributor

Re: Pork Steaks

[ Edited ]

@jannabelle1 wrote:

@jannabelle1 

That's what I told DH. He picked them up from the meat market. He said they called them pork steaks. I said it looks just like the lean pork chops we get only with a bone on it. It's a rib chop.

I don't care what they are. They are so tender.

I don't know why the meat market calls them steaks. You would think they know what they are. 

I Googled pork steak to show DH what they look like. I had never heard of a pork steak either.  Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

DH made pork steaks on the grill this weekend. They were so good. This is the marinade I mixed up to put on them.  

1 1/2 T Soy Sauce

3 T Brown Sugar

3 T Ketchup

1 1/2 T Olive Oil

1/4 t Minced Garlic

1 1/2 t Apple Cider Vinegar

Pork Steaks.jpg

Thanks for sharing, @Nightowlz  I have a special dry rub recipe that I like on pork and chicken these days, but I’m open to trying a new recipe. Your marinade would be easy to convert to a keto version with a few alternate ingredient. Did you use it more as a basting liquid or did you allow the meat to lay in the liquid prior to going on the grill?