Trusted Contributor

Anyone used pork rinds to fry chicken strips? I don't want to ruin the  chicken. Searched online only found air fryer recipes. Want to do it in grease. Any help appreciated.

Trusted Contributor

I live a Keto lifestyle and use them all the time. I use them as a filler in meatloaf and meatballs. I bread chicken and pork chops as well.

I just bought already ground ones but if using whole ones I throw them in my food processor and then use like breadcrumbs.

I have never fried with them. I use the oven when doing chicken, etc. 

I say go for it. Let us know how they turn out.

Honored Contributor

I did when I low carbed many years ago, and it was very tasty. 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

@MG Chris wrote:

I live a Keto lifestyle and use them all the time. I use them as a filler in meatloaf and meatballs. I bread chicken and pork chops as well.

I just bought already ground ones but if using whole ones I throw them in my food processor and then use like breadcrumbs.

I have never fried with them. I use the oven when doing chicken, etc. 

I say go for it. Let us know how they turn out.

I'd never heard of using pork rinds like this in recipes.  It makes a lot of sense and I'll bet it tastes great!  I'm excited to try this out on something.  We always have pork rinds here.  My dad loves to snack on them lol.😃

Honored Contributor

@Renata22 

I don't know why it wouldn't work. I have used saltine crackers with chicken & pork.

Here's a recipe I found online at healthy recipes blog using pork rinds. 

Pork Rind Chicken Tenders

Crushed pork rinds make a wonderfully flavorful and crunchy coating for chicken tenders.

Prep Time20minutes minutes
Cook Time10minutes minutes
Total Time30minutes minutes

Servings44 servings
Calories337kcal

Ingredients

• 2 oz plain pork rinds
  • 1 ½ lb. chicken tenders (about 12 pieces)
  • 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • ¼ cup olive oil*

Instructions

• Place the pork rinds in a large Ziploc bag. Seal the bag, removing as much air as possible. Use a meatpounderr or a rolling pin to crush the pork rinds into crumbs, similar toPankoo. Place the crumbs in a shallow bowl.
  • Pound the chicken tenders with a meatpounderr, as shown in the video below. Brush them all over with the mustard (or mayonnaise) and sprinkle them with garlic powder and cayenne pepper.
  • Dredge each chicken tender in the crushed pork rinds, pressing on both sides to help the crumbs adhere.
  • Heat a nonstick double-burner griddle (or two large nonstick skillets) over medium-high heat, about 2 minutes. Add the oil.
  • Add the coated chicken tenders. Reduce the heat to medium. Fry the chicken pieces until golden brown and cooked through (their internal temperature should reach165ºFF), 3-4 minutes on each side, working in batches if necessary. If working in batches, keep the cooked chicken tenders in a pan fitted with a cooling rack in a200FF oven while you cook more batches.

Notes

*About half of the oil will remain in the skillet, and the nutrition info reflects that. But you need all of it to properly cook the chicken. 

Note that I don't use salt in this recipe, as the pork rinds are very salty. But you can add a pinch of salt to the spices if you'd like.

It's been my experience that it's better to crush pork rinds by myself with a rolling pin, as shown in the video. I tried making the same recipe with store-boughtpree-crushed pork rinds ("porkpankoo") and they were not as crispy, especially on the bottom.

Nutrition

Serving: 3chicken tenders | Calories: 337kcal | Carbohydrates: 01gg | Protein: 48g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 588mg

***edited to remove link
Honored Contributor

@Renata22 

Here's a recipe from just a pinch.

Pork Crusted Fried Chicken Strips

Ingredients

5 nice size skinless chicken strips
1/4 c buttermilk
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp all purpose seasoning salt
1 to 1 1/2 c pork skins, crushed
1/4 tsp seasoning salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp paprika
salt, optional (pork skins are a little salty)
1/4 granulated garlic
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp butter

Directions

1. Rinse chicken strips and pat dry; set aside.
2. Combine buttermilk, 1/4 tsp each of salt, pepper and seasoning salt. Put in ziploc bag and add chicken. Place in fridge for several hours or over night.
3. In another ziploc bag, combine crushed pork skins and remaining seasonings.
4. Once chicken has soaked; remove from buttermilk and shake off excess. Coat each strip with pork skin crumbs and then place on wire rack to air dry. Air dry for 35 to 45 minutes before frying.
5. Heat oil and butter in skillet over med/high heat. Fry chicken on both sides until golden brown. Drain on paper towel.
Esteemed Contributor

@Nightowlz 

Thank you for the wonderful recipes!  I can't wait to try them out!😃🌸

Honored Contributor

We're keto.  It's not something we have often, but I will use crushed pork rinds as "breading", but I bake or pan fry.  I'm not real adept at air frying much stuff.  I think deep frying might make the pork rinds fall off the chicken unless you do an egg, flour, egg dip first, then the crushed pork rinds, but then they wouldn't be low carb or keto anymore.  Not sure about your reasoning for using the pork rinds rather than bread crumbs. 🤷‍♀️

Trusted Contributor

When using them as breading I always dip in egg and then the pork rinds. I use plain pork rinds and will add parmesan cheese and seasonings to my pork rind mixture. 

I have used them for years and no one ever knew the difference.  

Honored Contributor

@MG Chris wrote:

When using them as breading I always dip in egg and then the pork rinds. I use plain pork rinds and will add parmesan cheese and seasonings to my pork rind mixture. 

I have used them for years and no one ever knew the difference.  

That's what I do too, @MG Chris.  We only use plain.  The flavored ones have sugar (maltodextrin).