Super Contributor

Pork Loin: looking for new ideas

I have a nice 3.5 pound pork loin I want to cook today. I am looking for suggestions. I am thinking of trying the balsamic crockpot beef recipe and substituting the pork loin. What do you think?

Honored Contributor

Re: Pork Loin: looking for new ideas

I think this sounds really good. You could BBQ it too with some veggies on the grill too. Anyway you slice it, I'm sure it'll be TASTY!!!

Esteemed Contributor

I saw it on Pinterest wrapped in bacon before roasting.

Honored Contributor

Yes go to pinterest. There is a pork loin recipe using balsamic that I've done in the crock pot and using chops instead that is really good.

Respected Contributor

I always overcook and dry out a pork loin. But my last one was a winner.

I rolled it in flour AND a dry barbecue rub. Pan sauté then into a 350 oven for 1 hour 15 min.

I think 2 things happened. It was not overcooked and the coating held in the juices.

Super Contributor

I am doing one with a cherry balsamic glaze tomorrow- Cherry preserves, dried cherries and balsamic vinegar ....

Super Contributor

On 5/10/2014 granddi said:

I rolled it in flour AND a dry barbecue rub. Pan sauté then into a 350 oven for 1 hour 15 min.

I think 2 things happened. It was not overcooked and the coating held in the juices.

Are you sure that wasn't a pork TENDERLOIN? That sounds WAY too short to cook a pork loin...

Respected Contributor

On 5/10/2014 stilltamn8r said:
On 5/10/2014 granddi said:

Are you sure that wasn't a pork TENDERLOIN? That sounds WAY too short to cook a pork loin...

I'm am not good cook nor do I read carefully. it was a tenderloin.

Honored Contributor

Check whichever one you cook with a meat thermometer. I go to 165, no pink. Current Food Network advice says you can go lower, but I don't want to see any pink in pork. I was raised in the "you have to be afraid of undercooked pork" era. Something about worms, which I have totally blocked out of my mind.

Super Contributor

On 5/10/2014 depglass said:

Check whichever one you cook with a meat thermometer. I go to 165, no pink. Current Food Network advice says you can go lower, but I don't want to see any pink in pork. I was raised in the "you have to be afraid of undercooked pork" era. Something about worms, which I have totally blocked out of my mind.

dep, you really can safely go lower, and not have to worry. If interested, check out this thread:

USDA Lowers Pork's Minimum Cooking Temp To 145° F