Respected Contributor

Polish Pigs in a Blanket with Dill Slaw Salad

A search shows that I shared this recipe about six years ago. We still like it occasionally today, although with edits.  This yield, 4 servings, makes two meals for DH and me.  We're having the second one this evening, served with devilled eggs, slaw (traditional as DH doesn't care for the one here) and Bloody Marys.

Polish Pigs in a Blanket with Dill Slaw Salad
from Rachael Ray’s Show on May 19, 2008
Yields: 4 servings

4 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided, plus additional for drizzling
2 pre-cooked kielbasa (about 1 pound each), each cut into 2 pieces about 8 inches long*

1 large onion, thinly sliced
1/4 cup spicy mustard
4 Tablespoons white or cider vinegar, divided
Salt and ground black pepper
1 tube refrigerated pizza dough
1 cup shredded yellow or Cotswald cheddar cheese
Caraway seeds, to garnish
Coarse salt, to garnish
1 Tablespoon chopped dill
1 Tablespoon honey
3 cups shredded slaw mix

Preheat oven to 400ºF.

Place a large skillet over medium-high heat with 1 turn of the pan of olive oil, about 1 tablespoon. While the pan is heating up, cut a slit in each of the kielbasa pieces so that you can open them up like a book. Place them cut side down into the pan and cook until they crisp up, 4-5 minutes (you'll have to do this in batches).

While the kielbasa are crisping up, place a medium-size skillet over medium-high heat with 1 turn of the pan of olive oil, about 1 tablespoon. Add the onion, mustard and about 2 tablespoons of vinegar to the pan with some salt and pepper. Cook the onion until tender, 5-6 minutes.

With your kielbasa crisped and onions ready, dust your counter with some flour and roll out the pizza dough so that it's a couple of inches larger than its original dimensions. Cut the dough into quarters by slicing it first width-wise, then lengthwise. On one quarter of dough, lay a piece of kielbasa cut-side-up across it on a diagonal. Stuff the kielbasa with some of the cooked onions and a handful of shredded cheese. Pull the two free corners of the dough square around the kielbasa to wrap it up then transfer it to a baking sheet. Repeat this process until you've wrapped off your kielbasa.

Drizzle each roll-up lightly with olive oil and sprinkle the tops with some caraway seeds and coarse salt. Bake them until golden brown, 15-18 minutes.

When the roll-ups are almost done baking, prepare a salad to go along with them by whisking together the remaining vinegar and olive oil, dill and honey in a salad bowl. Season the dressing with salt and pepper, add in the slaw mix and give it a good toss.

*Mrs. G's edits:  I use just one pound of kielbasa, cut into 4 pieces.  This allows all four corners of the pizza dough to be wrapped, keeping the melted cheese inside the 'blanket.' 

Also, it is important to allow both the kielbasa and onions to cool quite a lot before placing onto the raw pizza dough.  Even so, I put the four flat pieces of dough onto my baking sheet first, add the fillings, then 'wrap' the corners. This eliminates a lot of handling and risk of tearing holes in the dough. 

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

Re: Polish Pigs in a Blanket with Dill Slaw Salad

Good heavens, that sounds good !   We're doing a Father's Day brunch this year and this would be perfect.  The guys would love it.  Thanks for sharing.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: Polish Pigs in a Blanket with Dill Slaw Salad

This sounds delicious!