Honored Contributor

Re: Please help me --- need simple recipes for low salt and sodium food

@chickenbutt wrote:

Just use less salt.  

Don't use any processed food products, as many of those tend to have a very high sodium content.

Use kosher salt instead of iodized salt, except for baking.

As already mentioned, there are lots of seasoning mixes in the store that are low salt or salt free, yet with the combination of herbs you can get lots of flavor.

@chickenbutt

This is what we are struggling with.  She wants what she wants and just refused to eat if she does not like something.  We likes lunch meats, Chinese food from her favoriate restaurant, etc.  So, this is quite a chore!  Thank you for your kind reply! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@lolakimono

Thank you for recommending these seasonings.  There are a couple which I would consider.  But she does not like spicy, pepper, etc.  So, this will be rather tricky!

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

@AngelPuppy1

These are my two go to recipe sources:

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/18457/nutrient-focused-diets/low-sodium/low-carb/

Just choose which type of meal you're looking for-

http://www.cookinglight.com/search/site/low%20sodium?f[0]=bundle%3Arecipe_tout

Prevention has some good resources too.

@lolakimono

Thank you for these sites!  I am getting so many nice tips and information!! 

Honored Contributor

@aggravated wrote:

Is a trip to the book store possible?  American Heart Association and quite a few others publish cook books with many really good and diverse recipes.  Got a couple after husband's heart attack.

@aggravated

We do have one.  I have to make a trip there!  Thanks!  

Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

If your mom was told by a physician to limit her salt because of a diagnosis, or because of meds she's taking, you need to put the burden on her health care professional to give you alternatives.

People need salt.    Low salt is dangerous unless you are under a doctors care.

Common table salt is sodium chloride, you could substitute potassium chloride.   Find products in the spice section labeled "salt substitute".    Then check the label for potassium chloride.

Be careful with this.

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I am not much of a cook --- I will be the first to admit this --- so I am asking for your help!

I am trying to help come up with ideas for soups, and things to fix my mother who is not well and has to eat low salt and low sodium things.

She is a very picky eater.  She wants to eat salty things like stir fry, lunch meats, canned soups, etc.

She does not like hot and/or spicy foods.

Do you have any fairly easy recipes for soups, salads, entrees, etc. --- anything really, that might fit the bill?  Also, tips on where to go on-line for help?

I appreciate your help so much!!!!!!  

@software

Thank you and I appreciate your help.  We are working with doctors, etc.! 

Honored Contributor

@linland wrote:

Try the Maine Coast Sea Seasonings. seaweed based seasonings way better than salt

@linland

Thank you!  I will look into it!

Honored Contributor

@yellowbird wrote:

If your mom is restricted because of hypertension issues, it is extremely important to keep the sodium levels down. It takes a while to adjust but it can be done. Salt is hidden in everything so home made is best. McCormick's makes Perfect Pinch. They use this seasoning in the hospital. It can be used during cooking or after. My go to are grilled or poached chicken breasts. Poaching in a flavorful liquid without added salt might be a solution to the deli chicken for, sandwiches, Either slice or make chicken salad. I believe you can find very low sodium stock for soups. They have to be better than the low sodium soups which ate pretty bad in my experience. You might try Penzeys for all sorts of seasonings.They are on line and you can read detailed info on all they offer which is a lot. Their prices are good and service as well. Goid luck!

@yellowbird

Thank you for your information!  I agree -- I just went to the store and started looking at some basic things which we eat and I am shocked at the amount of salt and sodium!  

Honored Contributor

@ciao_bella wrote:

@AngelPuppy1  If you Google  Low Sodium Recipes a ton of them come up.  However, I clicked on the Low Sodium Recipes link from All Recipes (which came up when I Googled it) and there are over 3,000 low salt recipes to choose from.  

Hope this helps. 

@ciao_bella

I hope they have some easy, basic things.  She does not like fancy or spicy things at all.  She likes basic old fashioned cooking.  Thanks!

Honored Contributor

@candys mine wrote:

Hi, AngelPuppy1,  Hope you Mom feels better,  I wish I could help more but I'm not much of a cook either.  I love my salt.  I don't like spice.  I DO like tangy.  Can she have Vinegar? pickles and sourkraut and things like that?  I like really aged balsamic vinegar. The older the better. when I eat a salad, i dip the tines of my fork in the balsamic then spear a veggie.  Healthy choice soup is passable.  maybe a grilled cheese with low salt cheese and a little salted butter on the outside of the toasty part.  Wean her off the salt.  get Low salt and no salt potato chips and mix them. If she's so used to salt than everything is going to taste bland . thats where the vinegar can help.  Hope you get lots of good ideas.

@candys mine

Thank you for your well wishes --- you're so sweet!  

Honored Contributor

I thank everyone for their kindness!  It's like eveything I guess ---- old habits are hard to break.  And when you are used to certain things your whole life --- you are resistant to change.  It breaks my heart for her to not have the things she likes.  I mean, she is at an age and her health issues are such, that she cannot do much and her big enjoyment in life is eating something tasty!!!!