Trusted Contributor

Re: Please help me decide between these 3 cake toppings....

My basic suggestion is that less is more.

It’s not so plain if you’re frosting it and sprinkling it with almond slivers. It will look pretty and have the softness of sheet cake texture, the smoothness of the buttercream, and the nice little crunch of the slivers. Delightful combinations for the tongue and a joy to look at. Why gild the lily?

I think the extra stuff, mostly chocolate pieces you describe, will be too sweet and overwhelm the most pleasant aspects of almond flavor, which is primarily subtle and delicate. Almonds smell good and chocolate is too strong, pieces you describe rather lumpy for a sheet cake. And drizzling it with a syrup of some chocolate format will certainly exclude anyone’s enjoyment if they are allergic to chocolate or just don’t like it. At least the pieces could be removed, but a drizzle is more abundant.

Take your original intentions as a great instinct for a delicious, sophisticated cake in sheet format and stop there. You’ll get plenty of compliments for your home-made, made from scratch efforts and leave out commercial, store-bought chocolates. Don’t underestimate the appeal a smooth, simple, frosted cake has topped with almonds for visual texture. I’d love a slice of that as is. 

Respected Contributor

just my opinion here.  love, love almond cake. what about maybe choc, butterscotch, or mocha frosting, and slivered almonds on top? 

No to the fruit, no to the almond joys.  too much candy makes it sooo sweet, and is tough for many (like me) to eat.  'm sure it will be tasty whatever you decide.

Honored Contributor

@msh8970 

Chocolate syrup with one or more of the candy suggestions.

Frozen or fresh fruit would likely transfer color onto your frosting unless you place fruit on paper towels first.

Your cake will be delicious.

Valued Contributor

Caramel syrup drizzeld over slivered almonds  would be my choice.

When I drizzle caramel/chocolate on my desserts, everyone thinks they're special.

Respected Contributor

I would like the chocolate ghiardelli syrup drizzle.

Honored Contributor

Drizzle, no candy

Esteemed Contributor

I vote for the Hershey Kisses!!

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I really like the combination of cherry and almond.  I love almond cake with cherry buttercream frosting.  The frosting makes it beautiful without any decorating.

I saw this decorating idea from sarateaspoons.com.   She uses sliced almonds and an m&m for the center.  

2986F1C7-C999-4C2F-BA2D-8BFA51AC8197.jpeg

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Super Contributor

@rrpell wrote:

I really like the combination of cherry and almond.  I love almond cake with cherry buttercream frosting.  The frosting makes it beautiful without any decorating.

I saw this decorating idea from sarateaspoons.com.   She uses sliced almonds and an m&m for the center.  

2986F1C7-C999-4C2F-BA2D-8BFA51AC8197.jpeg

That cake is adorable!! TFS!! Saving that idea to file!!  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Sounds yummy!  I'm in the less is more camp.  Maybe use Sliced almonds and toast 'em a bit for added colour and crunch.