chile seasoning

large onion

garlic (as much as you prefer)

1 can green chiles

1 container low sodium spicy V8 juice

1 can tomato sauce

2 cans Mrs Grimes no salt added chile beans

1 can diced tomatoes

Cook hamburger/chicken, onion, garlic, and chile seasononing adding water to keep from burning. Add remaining ingredients and bring to boil. Turn stove to low and simmer 2 hours. 

Additional toppings

green onion

sour cream

avacado 

cheese

unsalted croutons or Melba toast

Esteemed Contributor

Re: 🥣 Please Share Your Favorite Soup Or Chile Recipes

I think I've shared this before, so I hope it's okay to share again. This truly is my favorite soup recipe.

Famous Barr French Onion Soup*

1 large or 2 medium onions (I prefer 2 to 3 medium onions)

6 Tbsp. butter

1 tsp pepper

1 bay leaf

6 cups beef broth or bouillon (1 large container + 1 can)

1 1/2 tsp salt

1/2 cup flour

1 Tbsp paprika

Swiss Cheese

French bread

Slice onions 1/8" to 1/4" thick.

Melt butter in large soup pot and saute onion slices for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.

Add pepper, bay leaf, salt, flour and paprika; stir to mix and saute over low heat for 10 minutes.

Add bouillon or broth and simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.

To serve: place heated soup in bowl, top with a slice of French bread and 1 slice of Swiss cheese. Heat in microwave for 1 minute to melt cheese, or place in oven safe bowls in 450 degree oven for 5 minutes.

* This is a recipe from Famous Barr department stores in the Midwest. Famous Barr has since been purchased by Macy's.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My favorite Corn and Potato Chowder.  This recipe takes a while to cook, but good soup takes time:

2 tbsp bacon fat (or butter if you don't keep a jar of bacon fat in your freezer)

1 cup chopped carrots

1 cup chopped celery

1 cup chopped onions

29 oz chicken broth

3 cups peeled and cubed potatoes (I prefer red)

2 15-oz cans creamed corn 

15 oz whole kernel corn

2.5 oz package country-style gravy mix

1 cup milk

1 cup half and half

1 cup cubed Velveeta

Melt bacon fat in big pot.  Stir in carrots, celery, and onions  cook until tender.

Add chicken broth and bring to a boil.  Stir in potatoes and cook over low heat until potatoes are soft (about 1/2 hour).

Stir in creamed and kernel corn, then bring to a boil.  Dissolve gravy mix in milk and half and half in bowl, then stir into boiling soup.  Turn down heat to low and stir in Velveeta cubes until melted (about 20 minutes).

Honored Contributor

It's not a recipe, but I don't think you can beat Wick Fowler's 2-Alarm chili made from little packets in the kit.

There are copycat recipes, but that little packet makes a great chili and you can make it as hot as you like.  I like to cook it longer, on real low heat, than they say to.

Respected Contributor

Re: ? Please Share Your Favorite Soup Or Chile Recipes

This is so delicious!!!

After-Thanksgiving Turkey Soup (from Taste of Home)

Total Time:   Prep: 15 min.    Cook: 2-1/2 hours + cooling

Makes:  16 servings (about 4 quarts)

Ingredients

• 1 leftover turkey carcass (from a 12- to 14-pound turkey)
  • 3 medium onions, chopped
  • 2 large carrots, diced
  • 2 celery ribs, diced
  • 1 cup butter, cubed
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups half-and-half cream
  • 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
  • 3/4 teaspoon pepper

Directions

• Place turkey carcass in a soup kettle or Dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Remove carcass; cool. Set aside 3 qt. broth. Remove turkey from bones and cut into bite-size pieces; set aside.
  • In a soup kettle or Dutch oven, saute the onions, carrots and celery in butter until tender. Reduce heat; stir in flour until blended. Gradually add 1 qt. of reserved broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
  • Add cream, rice, salt, bouillon, pepper, remaining broth and reserved turkey. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until rice is tender.

Denise
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I could almost live on soups through the cooler seasons.  Choosing just one was a problem for me, so, "in no particular order" here are the three I narrowed it down to.

Zuppa Toscana
QVC Recipe Swap | On 5/18/2011 by lavendersage

1 pound Italian sausage
3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional..I don't use)
6 slices bacon, torn or cut into smaller pieces
1 large onion, diced    
1 clove of garlic, minced
2 - 2 ½ quarts (8 - 10 cups) chicken broth  
6 cups of potatoes, thinly sliced with skin on..russet or Yukon gold are good (about 3 russets)
1 cup half ‘n half
2- 3 cups of kale, in bite size pieces
top with grated Parmesan cheese

Remove the Italian sausage from casings and brown with red pepper flakes in a large pot. Drain and set aside.

Cook the bacon in the same pot until crisp. Drain, reserve about 2 tablespoons of drippings with the bacon in the pot. Stir in the onions and garlic; cook until onions are soft, about 5 minutes.

Pour the chicken broth into the pot with the bacon and onion; bring to a boil.

Add the potatoes, and cook until tender, about 20 minutes on medium heat. Reduce the heat to low and stir in the half n half and the cooked sausage; heat through; don't boil.

Add the kale and let cook until desired tenderness...5-10 minutes.

Grate Parmesan cheese on top of servings.

Mrs. G's note: I stop the soup after the addition of the half n half and the cooked sausage.  Then, at serving time, I ladle into a saucepot the number of wanted portions, add the kale accordingly then re-heat gently.

Edited to add:   I forgot to mention the "I don't use" note attached to the optional red pepper flakes is from lavendersage.  I use the pepper flakes and would miss them if omitted. 

_________

This is not a pretty soup, but it's a tasty and filling one.

Black Bean Chili

4 cups dried black beans, rinsed and drained (do not substitute canned beans)
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
1 tablespoon Hungarian sweet paprika
1 tablespoon cumin
2 cups chopped onion
3 large cloves garlic, minced
4 medium-to-large fresh jalapeno chilies, seeded and chopped
1 28-ounce can plum tomatoes, chopped (with juice)
2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves (or 1 teaspoon dried thyme)
2 teaspoons salt, or to taste

TOPPINGS
shredded cheddar cheese (or Jack cheese)
chopped green onions
sour cream
chopped cilantro
    Alternatives: salsa, rice (in bottom of bowl)

Place beans in a large pot.  Cover with several inches of water.   Cover and either allow to sit overnight or, for faster method, bring to a boil and allow to sit 1 hour.

Drain beans and return to rinsed pot.  Cover with fresh water again.  Bring to a boil.  Cover and simmer about 2 hours, or until tender but not falling apart.  (Add extra water during the cooking time, if needed.)  Drain, reserving 2 cups liquid.

Heat oil in a heavy pot over medium heat.  Stir in cayenne, paprika, and cumin.  Cook, stirring, 1 minute or until very aromatic.1  (Do not allow to burn.)  Add onions and sauté, stirring, for 5 minutes.  Stir in garlic and chilies, cooking for 2 more minutes.  Stir in the tomatoes and herbs.  Bring to a boil and cook, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes.

Add beans and bean liquid.  Cook, covered, 10 minutes longer.  Season with salt.  To serve: ladle  chili into a bowl and top with toppings of choice.  Makes 10 to 12 servings

Notes:
1. Just a minute in the hot oil will toast the spices and enhance their pungency–essential for seasoning this chili.  Watch these spices carefully, as they burn quickly.
2. This is one of those dishes that benefit from making ahead—like on a weekend for later in the workweek. 

I especially like this one with a batch of hot biscuits alongside.  Good Eats.

Cheddar Chicken Chowder
Cooking Light magazine

2 bacon slices 
Cooking spray 
1 pound skinned and boned chicken breast -- cut into bite-size pieces 
1 cup chopped onion 
1 cup diced red bell pepper 
2 garlic cloves -- minced 
4 1/2 cups fat-free chicken broth 
1 3/4 cups diced peeled red potatoes 
2 1/4 cups frozen whole-kernel corn 
1/2 cup all-purpose flour 
2 cups 2% low-fat milk 
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese -- (3 ounces) 
1/2 teaspoon salt 
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Cook bacon in a Dutch oven coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan. Crumble; set aside.

Add chicken, onion, bell pepper, and garlic to bacon fat in pan; sauté 5 minutes. 

Add broth and potatoes; bring to boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Add corn; stir well. 

Place flour in a bowl. Gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk until blended; add to soup. Cook over medium heat 15 minutes or until thick, stirring frequently. Stir in cheese, salt, and pepper. Top with crumbled bacon. 
Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love soups and chowders and could make a meal just on these.  Add a crusty bread and you're all set.  It's hard to narrow down my favorites but here are a few:

EASY MANHATTAN CLAM CHOWDER

2 CANS (10oz) BABY CLAMS, DRAINED AND RESERVED

1 CUP CHOPPED ONION

3 (8-10 oz) BOTTLES/or Cans of  CLAM JUICE

1 Medium SWEET POTATOES, PEELED AND CUBED (or) WHITE POTATO can be used instead. The sweet potato adds more flavor, in my opinion. 

½ CUP DICED CELERY

½ CUP FINELY CHOPPED CARROTS

2 CANS DICED TOMATOES (ONE WITH CELERY/ONION THE OTHER ZESTY WITH JALAPENO OR ROTEL) If you don't like the zip in Rotel then just use 2 cans of Diced Tomatoes with celery and onion. 

1 ½  tsp SEASONED SALT

1  tsp DRIED THYME

SOME OLD BAY SEASONING TO TASTE about 1 ½ tsp.

ADD CLAM JUICE FROM DRAINED CLAMS and bottles or cans of  CLAM JUICE.  POUR ALL THE LIQUID IN DUTCH OVEN POT.  ADD UNDRAINED TOMATOES, CELERY, ONIONS, POTATOES, CARROTS, SALT AND THYME AND SOME OLD BAY.  COOK AND SIMMER FOR 25-35 MINUTES UNTIL VEGGIES ARE TENDER. TASTE AND RE-SEASON IF NECESSARY.  ADD THE CLAMS A FEW MINUTES BEFORE IT’S DONE TO HEAT THROUGH.   

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NEW ENGLAND CLAM CHOWDER

INGREDIENTS:

• 8 slices bacon, diced
  • 4 tablespoons  butter
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 LARGE onion, diced
  • 2 ribs celery, diced
  • 1 tablespoon dried thyme
  • 7 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups milk
  • 2 (8oz) bottles clam juice
  • 3 (10oz) cans baby clams, juices reserved
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 4 russet potatoes, peeled and diced
  • 2 cups half and half
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • A couple of shakes of Old Bay
  • 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves

DIRECTIONS:

1. Heat a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add bacon and cook until brown and crispy, about 6-8 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate, leave  about 2 tablespoons bacon grease in Dutch oven; set  bacon aside.
  2. Melt butter in Cutch oven with bacon grease. Add garlic, onion, and celery and cook, stirring frequently, until onions have become translucent, about 2-3 minutes. Stir in thyme until fragrant, about 1 minute.
  3. Whisk in flour until lightly browned, about 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk, all the clam juices and bay leaf, and cook, whisking constantly, until slightly thickened, about 1-2 minutes. Stir in potatoes. Taste and add some Kosher salt (a little at a time) several grinds of  black pepper and the few shakes of Old Bay
  4. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 12-15 minutes. When potatoes are cooked you can mash some of the potatoes to thicken soup.  Then stir in half and half and heat through till it gets a little bit more thick  and then add the clams until heated through, about 1-2 minutes; . If the soup is too thick, add more half and half as needed until desired consistency is reached.
  5. Serve immediately, garnished each bowl with crispy bacon and parsley on top,  if desired.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SO EASY BEEFY TOMATO MACARONI SOUP 

• 1 lb. ground beef
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced (I used a squirt of minced garlic)
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon oregano
  • 1 shake of ground cayenne pepper (optional but good)
  • 1 (24) oz jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce (I used spaghetti sauce with Romano cheese)
  • 1 can Rotel (8-10 ounce size) OPTIONAL, omit if you don't like a little spice to your tomato soup
  • 4 cups of chicken stock (not broth)
  • 1/2 cup of cream cheese, at room temperature (I used whipped cream cheese) I eyeballed it so could have been a little more..Smiley Happy
  • 1  cup small macaroni (ditalini or small shells)
  • 1/4 cup fresh chopped basil, divided (can use a little dried basil)

Instructions

• In a large pot heat the olive oil over medium heat.
  • Add the onion and garlic to the pot and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring, until the onion softens.
  • Add the ground beef to the onions, breaking up with a spoon and cook until no longer pink.
  • Next add the salt, pepper, oregano and the one shake of cayenne pepper to the beef and stir to combine.
  • Now pour in the chicken stock, pasta sauce and Rotel. Stir and bring to a simmer for 10 minutes.
  • Whisk in the cream cheese until smooth then add 1/2 of the fresh basil.
  • Pour in the pasta, stir and let cook for 10 minutes, covered, stirring halfway through cooking.
  • Spoon into bowls and garnish with the leftover basil.

*Note:  The cream cheese will look lumpy when it first goes in...keep whisking it! I promise you it will blend and you will not see white specks of cream cheese left in the finished soup.  

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Esteemed Contributor

Spanish Bean Soup

Ingredients:

Directions:

In large saucepan, fry onion, garlic and bell pepper in olive oil. Add Chorizo, smoked ham and paprika. Fry until onions are tender, but not browned. Add entire contents of Garbanzo can (including liquid) and also 1½  cans of water. Bring to a boil. Add potatoes, salt and pinch of Vigo Flavoring and Coloring [Sazon] to obtain desired golden color. 

Lower heat and cook for 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.  Serve with Cuban bread!

Serves 4

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Reconnaissant wrote:

Chile

1 pound very lean ground beef or chicken breasts

chile seasoning

large onion

garlic (as much as you prefer)

1 can green chiles

1 container low sodium spicy V8 juice

1 can tomato sauce

2 cans Mrs Grimes no salt added chile beans

Cook hamburger/chicken, onion, garlic, and chile seasononing adding water to keep from burning. Add remaining ingredients and bring to boil. Turn stove to low and simmer 2 hours. 

Additional toppings

green onion

sour cream

avacado 

cheese

unsalted croutons or Melba toast

@Reconnaissant 

Your recipe sounds good! I love Chili!

Would you please share how much chili seasoning(powder?) to use?

Also, what size container of V8 juice and tomato sauce, water? Thanks!😋

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Honored Contributor

Thank you everyone who posted!!!

I LOVE all soups, chilis and chowders!

I eat soup year round!