Honored Contributor

Re: 🥣 Please Share Your Favorite Soup Or Chile Recipes

@noodleann  I use chili powder, oregano, cinnamon, and allspice in my Cincinnati Chili.

Honored Contributor

I have a recipe for French onion soup. It is your everyday garden variety soup,but adds apple juice. Just a little diff,but tasty.

Respected Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

@noodleann  I use chili powder, oregano, cinnamon, and allspice in my Cincinnati Chili.

Thanks for that info. I think if I try one of the recipes I found, I'll stick to what you're using, and try the other ingredients on future attempts. Nice that we're finally getting into soup and chili weather. Some great recipes on this thread.

Respected Contributor

@noodleann wrote, in part:
"...I read a reference to Cincinnati chili in "Mom's Best One-Dish Suppers" and just looked it up. The recipe I'm looking at has the usual ground beef and tomato (sauce/paste), onion, and garlic, but the seasonings include unsweetened chocolate, cinnamon, allspice, cumin, cloves, cayenne, and chili powder. Toppings also vary..."

@noodleann, you might want to check this Recipes thread:  Cincinnati Chili

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@noodleann wrote:

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

Thanks for that info. I think if I try one of the recipes I found, I'll stick to what you're using, and try the other ingredients on future attempts. Nice that we're finally getting into soup and chili weather. Some great recipes on this thread.

For 1 1/2 lbs of meat I add 2 tbsp chili powder, 1 tbsp dried oregano, 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp allspice, and 3/4 tsp pepper.

Esteemed Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

@Zhills wrote:

@noodleann Start a "Chili" thread and see how many variations you get posted.  Many exist.

I'm not interested in starting a thread or looking at other variations. I was asking specifically about Cincinnati chili.

'cuse me!

Respected Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

@noodleann wrote, in part:
"...I read a reference to Cincinnati chili in "Mom's Best One-Dish Suppers" and just looked it up. The recipe I'm looking at has the usual ground beef and tomato (sauce/paste), onion, and garlic, but the seasonings include unsweetened chocolate, cinnamon, allspice, cumin, cloves, cayenne, and chili powder. Toppings also vary..."

@noodleann, you might want to check this Recipes thread:  Cincinnati Chili

Thanks very much, @IamMrsG . That thread may be over 5 years old, but chili is timeless. I see your own recipe on it, and you speak with the double authority of a city native as well as a fine cook. I'm saving the whole thread. Playing with different chilis will be a diversion this winter.

Esteemed Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

My favorite Corn and Potato Chowder.  This recipe takes a while to cook, but good soup takes time:

2 tbsp bacon fat (or butter if you don't keep a jar of bacon fat in your freezer)

1 cup chopped carrots

1 cup chopped celery

1 cup chopped onions

29 oz chicken broth

3 cups peeled and cubed potatoes (I prefer red)

2 15-oz cans creamed corn 

15 oz whole kernel corn

2.5 oz package country-style gravy mix

1 cup milk

1 cup half and half

1 cup cubed Velveeta

Melt bacon fat in big pot.  Stir in carrots, celery, and onions  cook until tender.

Add chicken broth and bring to a boil.  Stir in potatoes and cook over low heat until potatoes are soft (about 1/2 hour).

Stir in creamed and kernel corn, then bring to a boil.  Dissolve gravy mix in milk and half and half in bowl, then stir into boiling soup.  Turn down heat to low and stir in Velveeta cubes until melted (about 20 minutes).

@deepwaterdotter   This sounds so good!  Do you think it could be adapted to a slow cooker?  If so, how would you do it?  I am a TERRIBLE cook!  Help!!

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tends2dogs  Here's how I would adapt to a crockpot:

Saute carrots, onions, and celery in skillet.  Place in crockpot.

Stir broth, potatoes, and whole kernel corn into crockpot.  Cook on low for 6 hours.

Stir in creamed corn, milk, half and half, and gravy mix.  Cook 1/2 hour on low.

Stir Velveeta into soup until melted.

Esteemed Contributor

@deepwaterdotter   Thank you  SOOOOOOOOOOOOO  much!!  I am going to make this next week.  Woman WinkWoman Very HappyHeart

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!