Trusted Contributor

Re: Planning a big BBQ gathering

On 4/8/2015 tigriss said:

Most pasta salads are better the day before along with cheese balls, fruit salads, anything that the flavors grow overnight.

Don't forget that kids like small food for their small hands. So some slider burgers and BBQ pulled pork on those slider buns is super fun for the kids, even the big ones!

Excellent idea for ALL the kids!Smile

Honored Contributor

Jerseygirl1266, thanks. This is what I have in mind, just because I can make most of it ahead of time; Italian beef sandwiches, baked ziti, potato salad, fruit salad, deviled eggs, cake, bottled water and iced tea. Most all who come will bring a dish to pass, so there will be plenty. I will probably also provide other things as well, as I never seem to know when to stop, lol. As far as picking out melons, I rely on thumping them, maybe I've just lucked out, but have never had one taste like grass, so far. Hope you enjoy your gathering. I know I will have fun with mine. I do love to throw a big party.

"To each their own, in all things".
Contributor

No really a recipe, maybe a helpful hint. When we have a large gathering my husband grills the burgers and hotdogs ahead of time. I put a little water in the bottom of my Nesco roaster, but the rack in and line with foil. Then put the meat in and set it on low. That allows my husband to enjoy the company and not spend the whole time at the grill.

Honored Contributor

Cole slaw with an oil and vinegar type dressing. Brownies! Actually, I think a relish plate and a variety of chips would be all you would need. I don't really think sides are necessary for large gatherings like this. Just individual chip bags, eat-in-hand desserts like brownies and cookies and COLD drinks!

Honored Contributor

Tigris you are one heck of a cook...would love to get invited to your place.We never cook like that around here.
Respected Contributor

Love Sweet potato Salad...I postd a recipe for it a while back..

Corn Salad is good- Asian slaw, the one with Ramen noodles is always a hit-

Southwest Cole Slaw with red and green cabbage, julienned red and yellow peppers, jalepenos, is colorful and good...

Respected Contributor

I always like to do the thin cut ham with cream cheese and roll it up with a pickle, dilly bean or pickled asparagus. I get the rectangle ham and cut it in half and then after I roll them up into halves or thirds secured with a toothpick. Always make a good appetizer and kids I'm around love them. I also like cupcakes when there are kids around.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Trusted Contributor

For outside parties I fill a small blowup kiddie pool with ice for the salads,fruit and whatnot.
Respected Contributor

Southwest Coleslaw

3 cups thin sliced green cabbage

2 cups thin slice red cabbage

1 red bell pepper, julienned

1 yellow bell pepper, julienned

2 carrots, julienned

1 bunch sliced green onions

Dressing

1 cup mayo

2 minced jalepenos

1 clove minced garlic

1 T chopped cilantro

1 Tabl maple syrup

1 Tabl lime juice

2 tsp dijon mustard

2 tsp Worcestershire sauce

1 tsp chili powder

1/2 tsp cumin

salt an pepper to taste

I process the dressing with my stick blender or in a blender- you may want more lime juice- mix with veggies- best if it sits in the fridge and melds for a while

Honored Contributor

Oh yes! Corn and black bean salad, and serve some Fritos along side! There are a lot of recipes for it on the web, use the ingredients you like! I use the oil and vinegar dressings so there is no issue with having to keep it super cold. I LOVE this stuff! Put the cilantro on the side. Some people hate it, and that's fine because there is more for ME that way!